Babystepping on Banjo

18 June 2013 | Soufriere, St. Lucia
14 June 2013 | Soufrierre, St. Lucia
09 June 2013 | St. Lucia
20 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
20 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
15 April 2013 | Basseterre, St. Kitts
15 April 2013 | St. Kitts
17 March 2013 | Ram Head Moorings, St. John
05 March 2013 | Key Bay, Peter Island, BVI
05 March 2013 | Key Bay, Peter Island, BVI
02 March 2013 | Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas
22 February 2013 | Dewey harbor--Culebra
22 February 2013 | Dewey harbor--Culebra
19 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
19 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
11 February 2013 | Ensenada Honda--Vieques
10 February 2013 | Bahia Salinas Del Sur--Vieques
02 February 2013 | Ponce, Puerto Rico

It's Been a While

09 June 2013 | St. Lucia
Doug
Sorry. It's been a while. I repeat myself but lack of internet access has been a problem that I haven't found the solution to yet.

So...the last post was from St. Kitts. I seriously owe you an update.

We had a great time in St. Kitts. It was the first place that I felt measured up to my hopes and expectations for cruising. I am not saying that I did not enjoy the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and St. Martin. But I starting loving where I was beginning with St. Kitts.

From St. Kitts we overnighted at Montserrat and then went on to Guadaloupe. Our first stop was at Deshaises and it was marvelous. I became hooked on baguettes and all things French. A French deli is a thing of beauty!

We took a long uphill hike to the botanical gardens and although all the plant ID's were in French it was magnificent. Well worth the walk and Euros to see.
The anchorage at Deshaises was beautiful, too.

We bypassed the Cousteau park on the way south as it was not the best weather, overnighted in Basseterre, and then went on to the Saintes. Once there, we didn't want to leave. Great food, beautiful scenery, amazing snorkeling and diving, and gorgeous hikes. What more could we ask for? We stayed over a week and then reluctantly slipped the mooring for Dominica.

Dominica is my favorite place so far. The people were so warm hearted and genuine seeming, the garden fresh produce limitless, and some of the most awe inspiring scenery that I have ever seen. We hiked almost daily into the rain forest. I'd love to go back and spend a month.

From Dominica we traveled to Martinique. St. Pierre, Fort de France, Anse Noire, Anse de Arlet, St. Anne, and Le Marin were our stops through the island. We enjoyed it but our weather was not the best. Rain, rain, go away!

Now we are in St. Lucia. We anchored out in Rodney Bay our first night here and then came in to the marina. A piece on our davits broke and we needed to have it welded. I have to look for another descriptive word because I'm over using "beautiful." But it is. Nice people, too.

We will probably spend another week south of here in Soufriere and the Pitons. From there we will go to the Grenadines for the rest of June unless some wierd tropical weather system threatens to ruin our day. July and most of August in Grenada. Maybe Guyana and French Guiana in September as a part of a rally.

Whew! Wears me out just to tell you where we've been. I wish I could do it all justice and tell you what it has all been like. But I'm trying to get my mind around it myself.

My comprehension hasn't caught up with my experience yet. Wow!
Comments
Vessel Name: Banjo
Vessel Make/Model: CSY 44 Walkover
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Crew: Doug, Meyka, & Wally
About:
We began babystepping into the cruising life when we moved to the coast of Wilmington, NC. Rob Larkin became our sailing mentor. We bought our first sailboat-a 30' Rawson. Later we traded the Rawson on Banjo. We started cruising full time September 2012. [...]

Babystepping

Who: Doug, Meyka, & Wally
Port: Beaufort, NC