The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

Sailing the Night Shift

22 February 2016 | Cockburn Harbour, South Caicos, TCi
Alex, Sailing Day and Night and Day
Or the story of how, under the Light of the Moon, there appeared a few large bruises on my Butt, Thigh, and Arm.

****

We'd spent much more time in SamanĂ  than we originally planned. Intended. Or budgeted for.

Puerto Bahia was a great marina, with fantastic and friendly folks, wonderful relaxing amenities and just a perfect place to be while the the winds out there were busy being uncooperative for our our departure Onwards and Northwards.

"What is UP with these COLD fronts anyways" I sighed, as yet another Chris Parker forecast had us feeling... a tad chilled with his squelched Words of Wisdom.

As much as we would have loved to have stayed longer in the Dominican Republic, there's just so much to see and do, the lack of ease of movement without the necessary Despachos, the lack of anchoring spots between jumps, were all making things rather difficult to plan a passage to see them all.

Then one day, the refresh of the Weather Pages revealed a glimmer of some arrows pointing in the right direction.

"It's not the best window" grumbled Dave.
"I know" I said my chin bopping up and down as I agreed.
"It'll be a little spirited" suggested Dave
"I know" I responded, and sighed.
"Seas will be up to almost 3 meters" Dave said.
I cringed.

"We could wait until the following day but the winds will be stronger and not quite right, and the seas not that much more settled so..."

"Let's go!" we both agreed.

We busied ourselves prepping Banyan for a longer than usual passage. From Engine Checks to Jacklines, from Rigging Inspections to Food Preps. From Ditch Bag supplies, to a plenty full Cockpit SnackBag.

We estimated and calculated roughly 210 nautical miles to passage, at an average of 6 knots, it would take us roughly 35 hours.

"I really don't like using the word roughly" when talking this kind of talk, I laughed out loud, and repeated to myself, in a more affirmative type of talk that I like,

"So an approximate distance of 210 nm, at our average speed of 6 knots, would take us about 35 hours"

We dropped marina lines by 07:30 in the morning,



hopeful that we would get a glimpse of some of the impressive whales in action as we left Bacardi Island behind us.

"Look there" I yelled in happy awe, and Dave responded, "Yup... wow, look at that, and over there" and we both pointed in two different directions.

How do you point your camera at all that??

The big beautiful beasts were active, but so were the increasing seas as we started to hobby horse towards them, which didn't result in any impressive photo-results except for a few Tail Slaps that sent us, with Splashes, on our way.



Getting out of the Bay was surely the longest part as we both cringed every time the boat thudded into the seas that were more than confused. We kept heading into it, trying hard to get out of it.



We both remembered how awed we were when we first reached the Dominican Republic four years ago, as her tall green mountain ranges materialized out of the morning mists.

This time we looked behind us, watching with a sort of melancholy, the mountains slowly fading and disappearing as the grey mists enveloped them, and knew that it might be a long time before we would see such impressive heights of Adventurings again.

New and Different Adventures were waiting for us, and we looked eagerly ahead as the marina in Ortega Landing, with a haul out in Green Cove Springs (Florida), already reserved for early May, called our Schedules Forth.

Once we cleared land and the ensuing confusion of the swirling washing machine type of currents, the winds and seas settled into a rhythmic push as we surfed down the waves at impressive speeds and comfortable motions.

The Shepherd's Pie I'd prepped for supper came in handy, and it made two quick meals as we ate and sailed along, the hours seemingly flying by as we counted the miles we'd covered, and guess-estimated many more to go.

The rising moon was full, large and bright



her large moon craters keeping us company during the night shifts.

Neither one of us could go below to rest, so we both kept watch, in alternating short shifts, attuned to when one dozed off and the other perked up, attuned to the motion of the waves, and the sounds of the wind, watching for any AIS blips, or lights on the horizons, or cloud clover that might signal a squall.

Settling into the cockpit bench, I leaned back, my head resting on my life jacked, and closed my eyes just for a moment, allowing the black of night to overwhelm my senses, and then... THUMP.

"What are you doing?" exclaimed Dave, as he sat right up the loud thump in the night unfamiliar to his ears, as he looked down to see me wedged hard against the deck by the cockpit table, quite a narrow, and rather uncomfortable place to be.

Thankfully I was fine, if not a little bruised, and well aware that that was not the place to have a nap.

The morning hours had us enjoying our coffee while laughing at the fact that I had fallen out of bed.

And on starboard side, a stowaway,



in fact there were two, but a large wave splashed the little one back to the depths of the seas before I got to my camera.





We rolled in the jib and pointed our bow at Big Sand Cay, but pretty soon the winds pointed their preferred direction, and our side to side roll,

"Nope, not gonna be a good time to be anchored here" we both said at once, and pointed Banyan's bow back out, unfurled the jib, and settled back for another three hours. And lunch.

We were anchored in the flat shallow waters of Cockburn Harbour pretty soon after the dishes were cleared.

The log book entry got ascribed with the following information. 14:30 p.m., 215 nm, total time clocking in at 31 hours.

Safe and sound. A little bruised. A little tired. And yet buzzing with adrenaline that had us splash the dinghy with plenty of time to clear in with Customs.

It was going to cost us 100$ for a week's cruising permit. They made it quite loud and clear, with forms to sign to make sure they were loud and clear, that even one minute after that one week was up, there would be an additional $300 charge to keep cruising the TCI. Yikes !!

"We better watch our weather !!" said Dave as he clambered back onboard, and I handed him the Arrival Beer.

A cleanup of the Banyan. A swim on the anchor, which perhaps wouldn't even have been necessary given we were in such clear and shallow waters. Supper. And before we knew it, we were asleep, under the light of the full moon rising.

Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!