The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

Bahamian Waters

20 January 2013 | Frazers Hog Cay, Southern Berry Islands, Bahamas
Alex, sunny and gorgeously hot
"Hops, time to wake up"
It was what, 4:30 a.m. GAWED, don't Smuttynose know the time ??

However, Smuttynose wanted me to marvel along with him...
In my morning doozy state (no comments please) I stepped out into the cockpit and truly did a jaw drop, and said hey, Smuttynose, I'm glad you woke me up !

And marvel we did, indeed !

The water, which last night, had us rolling and jostling all over the place, was now as flat as could be. It wasn't even lapping against the hull of the boat. There was a bit of mist enveloping everything everywhere.

But the best of all of this, looking up, the night skies were lit up in our very own, quite spectacular, planetarium effect. There were so many stars, and then, you would blink, and there would be many more !

In the sounds of silence, I can't even begin to describe the magical and impressive beauty that Mother Nature was gifting us with.



Within moments it was time to raise anchor, and head out.

The deck lights that were turned on to help in the process, illuminated the clarity of the water and we could see bottom. Another marvel, here it was 5 a.m., in the spectcaular beauty and darkness of night, we could see clear through the bottom of the water. There are no words to describe this. Wow. Breathtaking.

And then we were on our way, and watching the sun start to rise,





There was no wind today to speak of, so we motored along...

The water was calm, the colours of the views, beyond spectacular.



No wildlife to speak of except for the flying fish. And hey, if I can't catch a dolphin in an exciting action shot, there sure as hell ain't going to be a shot of a flying fish. I did try though. Just so you know.



We got our fishing rod out but caught nothing, which is probably okay at this point, as even if we caught something, we are still not sure we'd know what we'd do with it.

Before we knew it, we were seeing the Southern Berry Islands.

We motored past Chub Cay, rounded Texaco Point and headed into Frazers Hog Cay, where we went past the quite deserted (and some of them quite iffy-looking mooring balls) and decided to anchor instead.

Dave had me standing at the bow watching the depths of the water (for corals and reefs etc)...



And then, once anchored, I recorded my numbers, we turned the engine off, and instantly heard the silence. I called Dave up, and told him to listen... This is what is meant when people say that silence is deafening.

There was no sounds of anything. No crackle of electrical lines. No birds. No wildlife. No lapping of the water against the hull. No planes, trains or automobiles. Ok, sorry, getting carried away here. There was nothing. Truly, a desolate area of nothingness. Our ears were ringing with nothingness. Impressive.

Our first order of business was to get dinghy off the deck. Once Dinghy was all set up, we rode her into the Berry Islands Club, and found it to be deserted.





We peeked through the windows, and the bar was quite stocked, however, other than that piece of evidence, there was no one around, but the birds screeching our arrival. Amazing what a loud racket these things make !



We clambered off the deck and went around the bend to the beach, where we happily waded into the warm waters, and then plunged headfirst into the water, snorkelling along, seeing a few colorful fish hiding in the sandy holes, coming across a brightly brown and gold speckled starfish that had to be a foot wide. Spectacular.

It truly was not the best of beaches, littered with some bits and pieces of garbage probably washed onshore, some broken bottles, and we didn't stay too long, preferring to head back to the boat where Smuttynose emerged with some scrub brushes and a grin, he was all set to scrub Banyan's bottom. WTF Chores ??

However, given that we were in the beautiful waters, and swimming, I figured i'd give him a bit of a hand.



First order of business had us checking our anchor. Then we scrubbed Banyan's bottom, removing most of the green slime that has developed over the last months. Dave checked on the anodes, and assessed that they were still good to go, but will probably need to be replaced shortly. He scraped a few barnacles off the propeller. And then called it quits.

By then we noticed a few others boats come into "our" harbor. Some had picked up the mooring balls and the rest of them anchored. We were no longer alone!
It was a great evening spent watching the sun set and I hate to admit that we were asleep by 8 ! What an exciting nightlife we lead.

Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!