The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

An Exercise in... Patience!

30 November 2013 | Mt Hartman Bay, Grenada
Alex, squally, hot, sunny, windy...
I'm not a patient person.

I always thought I was. In fact, I prided myself on being one of the most patient people I knew. Of course, patience is great, if you're in control of everything, and everything goes how you want it, when you want it, as you want it, in the time you want it to.

Funny what happens to patience when you have none of the above !!

And patience, when living on island time, is a must have. Things move at a naturally slower pace down here. It is one of the reasons we escaped the hectic hamster wheel type of life we were living. We wanted slowness and we wanted it now! We wanted lots and lots of slowness. A Whatever, Whenever type of attitude, the Spanish say it so well, mañana man !!

The thing we weren't expecting though is that this slowness we wanted and craved and came looking for, comes with a few side effects we weren't quite anticipating, like the need for patience. You can totally believe in a let-go attitude, until you're the one who needs to let-go, sit back, and relax! (Because you just know that an exercise in patience comes at the worst possible time!)

We've been playing the role of "waiters" this past week. Hanging around watching others leave for destinations unknown, we've been eager to get going ourselves (and why??), but having to wait around for the weather to change. Which happens in a blink of an eye,



and as you can see in the photo above, it's sunny where we are, and yet the foggy looking cloud by the mountains is incoming rain, close the hatches!

We want to head Somewhere Opposite of South-of-Somewhere, (aka North-ish!). And in order for the sail up-island to be pleasant (and sail-able), all that is required is a bit of East and South-East in the winds. Not much to ask, of the Weather Gods, but not an easy weather window to capture these days.

And then one came up, and on our way to position in St-Georges, our trusty and wonderful WaterMaker hit one too many hiccups too for our liking. We decided that it was best get it looked after now and here as Sint-Maarten is a ways away to live without our own water producing abilities, do-able certainly, however...

So we were in the perfect location to have it looked after. A phone call later and X-Marine had us appointed in the very next morning. It got looked at, diagnosed, and we went back 'round the corner to the home that is Mt Hartman Bay. To wait.

Wholesale Yacht Parts looked after ordering the parts almost right away (not without some poking and prodding, mañana man! Once ordered though, they got shipped, and would you believe arrived on overnight delivery (someone in the good ole U.S. of A is on the do-do-do hamster wheel!) the very next day.

And it was all supposed to happen first thing Friday morning, except somehow it didn't. We got Banyan ready to go, bow tarp off, dinghy secured, ready for an hour and a half at sea... and then waited for that phone call from Wholesale Yacht Parts first thing in the morning, as promised. And waited. And waited.

The much-needed pick-up from the Fed-Ex office and delivery to X-Marine didn't happen till way after lunch, (and doesn't that set your gourd on fire?? especially since X-Marine and Fed-Ex are almost, literally, across the street from each other?) and by then it was too late for us to come back up 'round the corner, and the technicians to receive rebuild and install, and it being a weekend coming up, well it'll be a few mañana's later, man. So now we're booked in "first thing Monday morning". Another Mañana, man!



All in all, we got great service, from all concerned. X-Marine is right there ready for us "first thing Monday". Wholesale Yacht Parts is understandably quite busy, but once on the job, sourced the pieces well.

With all this waiting around though we got to stay in the comfort that is currently our Grenadian home for a few more days, swimming, volleyball-ing, doing Yoga, hanging with friends, enjoying, and that's always fun times!

Best of all, we got to go to the Saturday morning market in the City, something we hadn't experienced, yet.



The street vendors packed under the colourful umbrellas of their booths, quite eager for your attention,



and hard-pressed to let you go once they have it. These are master-sellers, but having spent quite some time here now, it's getting easier and easier to manipulate the conversation, walk-away without necessarily buying EVERYthing, and without feeling bad about it.

The rickety stalls so pretty in their colourful arrays of fresh fruits and vegetables. Tomatoes are still hard to find. No Mangoes (yet) although we've seen a few trees bearing fruit that is just starting to ripen. Plenty of juicy paw-paws their insides bursting with flavour (we bought two), gargantuan bright yellow plantain's, soursop's, grapefruits and mandarin oranges and all with plenty of ants crawling around on everything that came from the just freshly picked Grenadian soil.



This is local and organic at its best! The locals so helpful, and with a quick smile they bid you good-morning and explain how to prep or what something is. Like breadnut. A tiny nut like object, that needs peeling of the skin (twice over) and tastes somewhat like our chestnut. That is one of the reasons I am falling in love with this place... such friendliness and wonderful smiles that reach the very corners of everyone's eyes.

There was a cruise ship in town,



and the Cruise Ship Mall was open so we ventured in for a look see just for fun, saddened that the many tourists who come all the way from their home countries are proud to say they visited Grenada and yet so many packed the Subway restaurant, reminiscing of home, without venturing out the door. A whole different feel in here.

Shademan's (aka Patrick) bus was always ready and waiting for us once we were done,



so nicely decorated for the upcoming Christmas season,



and we rocked and rolled our way back home along the bumpy and windy Grenadian Streets, Shademan honking his horn to tell others we were coming 'round the corner, all the while listening to Jingle Bells and Frosty the Snowman (with a decidedly soca-beat) that makes it all so very different and almost surreal.

We came home with way too much food-stuffs (did we forget that people up-island have stores as they need to eat as well?), and with an island that has so many chickens and roosters running wild across the lawns and streets, why-oh-why can we never find any eggs? Anywhere??

And so the lesson in patience was well practiced this time around. What's one more day (or two, or three?) spent waiting (and falling into old habits that bring forth the complaining and frustration and finger tapping).

If there's no eggs to be found anywhere (on the entire island!), then make some bacon tomato sandwiches (on gluten free english muffins), right? If the phone call isn't coming, put the phone away, and do something else as you know deep down inside, it's all like watching a tea kettle come to boil, it seemingly never does.

Spend your precious time that is life doing something, anything, rather that sitting there waiting (and stewing about it!). Venture forth and discover something new and different and exciting in your own backyard if need be. Then all that time spent waiting, will feel instead like you're living, like a day gained with so much more that feeds the soul.
Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!