The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!
23 March 2021 | Cole Harbour NS
30 May 2019 | Catamaran Marina
20 May 2019 | Shallow Sandbar by Livingston, Guatemala
18 May 2019 | Tres Puntas, Guatemala
14 May 2019 | Isla Guanaja to Isla Utila
11 May 2019 | Grand Cayman to Isla de Guanaja, Honduras
03 May 2019 | Grand Cayman
25 April 2019 | Errol Flyn Marina, Port Antonio, Jamaica
18 April 2019 | Matthewtown, Great Inagua, Bahamas
14 April 2019 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
10 April 2019 | To New Horizons... and Beyond!
05 April 2019 | Exumas, Bahamas
02 March 2019 | Staniel Cay, Cat Island, Bahamas
07 February 2019 | Cambridge Cay, Exumas, Bahamas
25 August 2018 | Halifax, NS
28 November 2017 | Somewhere on the Atlantic Ocean

I Need

22 September 2015 | Port Louis Marina, Grenada
Alex, Sunny and Sweaty Hot, with a Chance of Needing Patience
Some days are filled with the sound of voices coming from above. Voices that clarify themselves into spoken words laced with love and urgency and requiring help. Voices with just a hint of query and sometimes an Oh-My-Darling. And most times they spoke volumes. Volumes that require participation and patience. Volumes that had me cringing by the time I'd heard the third "I need". And voices that are sometimes tinged with audible frustration and desperate "I need's". Voices that result in much dripped sweat, and hard Elbow Grease...

And damnitall, why do I feel like I worked HARDER than my Capt'N?

****

The day started off with his jobs and her jobs. Not that they were blue jobs or pink jobs, but we each had a list of things to do that were starting to appear to be longer than the arm we were writing them with.

Wanting to get some manoeuvring room in our living space, one of the jobs was to pack our now-empty-suitcases into the vacum-seal-bags, and along with a dryer sheet,



suck the air out of them.



It would help keep the contents safe and sound and dry. Once done, I could them stow them under our floorboards.



Which, as all my cruisers friends and readers can attest to, one simple job of placing a vacuum sealed bag of suitcases under floorboards can require a bit more time than just putting them there.

Like find the vacuum. Like connect it to the power. And find the bags which we know we've just recently unpacked. And find the gadget that lifts the floorboards. And while we're at it, why not vacuum under that floorboard. And wipe it all out, just cause. And during all that, remember to take pictures. And then, damnitall, start all over again because I forgot the dryer sheet!!

"Oh ? Dear ?" I heard from up above.
"Yes?" I answer, and as soon as my Capt'N saw me poke my head out of the companionway, he responded with,
"I need..."

And so I found the roll of paper towels (which, would you believe, was now an empty roll of tube. So I had to scramble over the floorboards that you may remember were lifted, over the vacumsealed bag, reach behind the cushion, and grasp out a new roll of paper towel.)

"Hope he appreciates this" I sweated out loud, as I handed him his request. And went below to finish my stowing of the suitcase job.

"Oh ? Dear?" I heard from above.
"OH DEAR" I thought.
"I need..."

And this is what he needed



"Oh ? Dear?"
"Yes dear?"
"I need... "

The sandpaper.



"Oh ? Dear?"
"Yes Dear!"
"I need... "

The grease.

Which after some trials and tribulations we realized was a total His Job.



And all that for a little Iddy Biddy Pin called a GooseNeck Pin.

I went down below to sort out my list of jobs. Would you believe I hadn't even located my pencil (and admittedly my reading glasses) when,

"Oh ? Dear?" I heard from above.
"Damn..." I sighed.
"I need you... "

And so I went above and pulled and heaved and pulled some more



until things were tight and taut and just right.

We had had the stack pack re-sewn in places where the sun had damaged the threads and the wind had caused some ripping of the material. We had also requested the idea of grommets to allow the accumulation of torrential rainwater to pour out, but Michael nay-nayed it, and this is the idea that he proposed.



Aesthetically it is pleasing to the eye. We'll tell you how they work after the next rainstorm.

And I went down below and Dave went to get the MainSail which had been placed with Turbulence for washing and checking over purposes.

"Oh ? Dear?" I heard.
"Yes..." I whispered as I was... Oh I don't even know what job I had wanted to start.

"I need..."

And, with a sigh I knew I might as well give up on me, myself and I, and MY JOBS, and I rushed up to help with the heavy sailbag that needed to be gotten on the boat, and then in our cockpit, and then the sail out of the bag, and the bag put away, and the sail placed on deck, and then because we had it the wrong way, replaced on deck the right way to unroll,



and look, brand new, shiny red ticklers.



And so winch pull by winch pull (which of course required a stop in the action to find the winch handles, which had, (of course!), been locked away during our absence, and it's NEVER EVER in the first place you look, right?)



the sail was slowly raised,



up its track, not without first being inspected and the whatchamacallits greased and whatever else my Capt'N was doing up there,



while I was stuck in the cockpit, staring up at the clouds and listening to the murmurings of my beloved as he talked to himself, talked to the sail, cajoled and pleaded and swore, and sweated through it all, every so often issuing an "I need..." proclamation,



which of course had me coming out of musings in my head, and standing back at attention, going below and grabbing whatever, coming back out, and handing it over, with a smile, along with a glass of ice cold water.

And so the minutes and moments tick-tocked by, with me winching and staring at the blue skies (oh look, it's a teddy bear with open arms, do you see it?), going below to get the batten tool, and then back up, and then below to get the batten and manoeuvre that long thing up through the companionway, hand it over to be clasped firmly in the Capt'N's hands, winching some more, which resulted in a cry of it being too high, and so lower the sail back down, just a half an inch now (WTF !!) and start all over, and whine again, and oh now it's just right, going to the mast and placing said batten properly into its holder while the Capt'N velcro-locks it into place, and back into the cockpit again.

"I need..."

"Just wait" I said, there's someone here, as I turned to the voice calling out to me from the dock,



selling some mangos. They'll make for perfect Mango Daiquiris for later on tonight I thought.

And back to pulling and winching and get the batten and up to the mast and back and back in my quiet zone I turn



And notice Thaddeus working hard at sanding down our teak rails, prepping them for the new varnish job.

And pull and winch and get the third batten and up to the mast and now it's time for the reef lines



"I need..."

And down below I go, and back out I come, lighter in hand, which was needed to burn off some escaped threads in one of the lines.

And as I pulled and winched and hauled and hoisted and responded to the "I need's", I took some photos, and played with my new camera, and then I wondered about that Mango Daiquiri for sundowners.

Plugged into the marina we enjoy shore power, which is awesome as we are able to vac-seal our bags, And then I planned for supper, which made me realize that we were out of yogourt and fruit (and would there be any tomatoes this time round?) and almond milk and perhaps some Ting, which is nice and light and refreshing when ice cold and you're sitting and swearing cause you're sweating more than buckets can hold.

"Didn't your momma teach you not to step on the freshly washed sails" I laughed to myself as I emerged from my moment inside my head at the next proclamation of I need's.



Almost done (Thank God!)



and voila, the end result.



That evening, showered and ready to relax, the sun just was beginning to set, we sat in the cockpit with Mango Daiquiris in hand and raised our glasses in a Cheers type of moment.

"Here's to I need You's " we toasted, our eyes locked and speaking volumes of the work we'd accomplished. Together.
Comments
Vessel Name: Banyan
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau 40 Sun Odyssey
Hailing Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Crew: David & Alexandra
About:
Welcome Aboard. I'm Alexandra, and if I'm not out Adventuring with Camera in Hand, or cheffing up a storm in my galley, I'm looking to pirate some WiFi to upload our latest tales (with way too many photos) about our most recent adventures. [...]
Extra: CHART YOUR COURSE: Our destiny is shaped by our thoughts and actions. We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.
Social:
Banyan's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 117 of 117
1
 
1
2 Photos
Created 13 March 2021
52 Photos
Created 30 May 2020
26 Photos
Created 27 May 2020
27 Photos
Created 9 June 2019
31 Photos
Created 3 June 2019
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2019
24 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
38 Photos
Created 24 May 2019
20 Photos
Created 3 May 2019
15 Photos
Created 25 April 2019
50 Photos
Created 10 April 2019
23 Photos
Created 5 April 2019
21 Photos
Created 2 March 2019
17 Photos
Created 7 February 2019
41 Photos
Created 25 August 2018
23 Photos
Created 28 January 2018
72 Photos
Created 4 January 2018
26 Photos
Created 20 October 2017
27 Photos
Created 1 September 2017
No Photos
Created 29 June 2017
94 Photos
Created 9 June 2017
1 Photo
Created 15 May 2017
41 Photos
Created 4 March 2017
36 Photos
Created 3 February 2017
32 Photos
Created 27 January 2017
21 Photos
Created 9 January 2017
51 Photos
Created 27 November 2016
13 Photos
Created 24 October 2016
54 Photos
Created 6 June 2016
122 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
192 Photos
Created 4 February 2016
80 Photos
Created 6 January 2016
14 Photos
Created 16 December 2015
15 Photos
Created 5 November 2015
135 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
3 Photos
Created 6 October 2015
154 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
55 Photos
Created 28 June 2015
39 Photos
Created 6 May 2015
118 Photos
Created 3 April 2015
23 Photos
Created 12 March 2015
87 Photos
Created 31 January 2015
114 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
55 Photos
Created 4 December 2014
103 Photos
Created 6 November 2014
84 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
114 Photos
Created 2 September 2014
55 Photos
Created 19 August 2014
49 Photos
Created 6 July 2014
107 Photos
Created 11 June 2014
104 Photos
Created 7 June 2014
88 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
120 Photos
Created 13 May 2014
106 Photos
Created 5 May 2014
100 Photos
Created 2 April 2014
75 Photos
Created 22 March 2014
127 Photos
Created 2 March 2014
24 Photos
Created 1 March 2014
26 Photos
Created 28 January 2014
110 Photos
Created 25 January 2014
107 Photos
Created 10 January 2014
106 Photos
Created 23 December 2013
117 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
93 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
39 Photos
Created 22 October 2013
117 Photos
Created 3 October 2013
65 Photos
Created 14 September 2013
31 Photos
Created 14 July 2013
96 Photos
Created 18 June 2013
100 Photos
Created 10 June 2013
104 Photos
Created 30 May 2013
115 Photos
Created 19 May 2013
98 Photos
Created 8 May 2013
10 Photos
Created 23 April 2013
106 Photos
Created 21 April 2013
12 Photos
Created 19 April 2013
31 Photos
Created 13 April 2013
114 Photos
Created 4 April 2013
107 Photos
Created 16 March 2013
99 Photos
Created 18 January 2013
57 Photos
Created 8 January 2013
120 Photos
Created 3 December 2012
125 Photos
Created 17 November 2012
44 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
77 Photos
Created 9 November 2012
98 Photos
Created 27 October 2012
123 Photos
Created 11 October 2012
119 Photos
Created 4 September 2012
38 Photos
Created 2 September 2012
No Photos
Created 2 September 2012
39 Photos
Created 27 August 2012
48 Photos
Created 16 August 2012
12 Photos
Created 15 August 2012
128 Photos
Created 1 August 2012
102 Photos
Created 16 May 2012
3 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 25 July 2011
10 Photos
Created 19 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
5 Photos
Created 7 July 2011
6 Photos
Created 24 June 2010
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2010
9 Photos
Created 27 September 2009
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2009
22 Photos
Created 7 September 2009
10 Photos
Created 31 August 2009
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 11 August 2009
Photos from the first ever sailing Regatta to raise money for Breast Cancer research
12 Photos
Created 12 July 2009
Photos from our cruise on Mahone Bay.
13 Photos
Created 9 July 2009
Our baby
7 Photos
Created 3 July 2009

The Adventures of Alexandra and David

Who: David & Alexandra
Port: Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're always Somewhere South of Somewhere.

The Banyan Love is Growing.

http://www.hitwebcounter.com/htmltutorial.php
WebPage Visits

We're on Facebook

Sailing Banyan

Instagram: #banyantravels

but we're not Tweeting.

Our friends Paul and Sheryl Shard, of Distant Shores, are incredible producers of their very own TV Show.

If you haven't already, check them out.

Their DVD's are informative and fun to watch as they travel to all four corners of the world.

You might even find Banyan in some of them!!