Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Day four of the ARC 2017

23 November 2017 | In the Tropics!
Off the coast of Mauritania, and weatherwise we are having a slightly frustrating time right now. Up to about midnight we were having to motor into a light headwind, but then we had enough of a shift and increase to sail, albeit slowly, west-south-west for a few hours. Then the winds got increasingly flukey �" rising, falling, backing, veering �" Mr Windy P (self steering) got very confused, had enough of it and decided to heave to just before dawn, pointing east.

The latest forecast shows another big low pressure system coming across from the north west, bringing strong headwinds with it, so we have been ghosting along southwestwards of the system to avoid it, aiming at areas where there should be more favourable winds towards the Cape Verdes �" some 250 miles away. Our problem is that in these light conditions we tack through about 110 true, so with the wind on the nose we are pushed either slightly east of south, or slightly north of west, so it is just hard to make much useful progress.

On the plus side, there was a glorious sunrise this morning, with the sun coming flaring up through huge black rain showers �" very dramatic. We have just one neighbouring yacht near us now and we have been exchanging weather thoughts by VHF. And we did catch a yellow tailed snapper yesterday, but put it back, as too small to keep. In these calm conditions, supper last night was sausages, potatoes and garlicky courgettes at the cockpit table, after a rousing game of Dobble. Just a shame that we are a dry ship. Lastly, crew have been reporting very good sleep in their off-watches.

Doing our daily produce check this morning we discovered six bananas that had gone from ‘just right’ to ‘only fit for cakes’ overnight. This coincided with the discovery that we hadn’t really catered for enough butter for cake-baking, so there is now a huge banana bran loaf in the oven, with the crew looking forward to afternoon tea. All this is somewhat compromised by the fact that K managed to turn off the oven 15 minutes in.

We refuelled the main tank today, transferring some fuel that we have in jerry cans on the deck into the main tank. We brought a lot of diesel, knowing the winds were light on this stretch of the route. We just need to be sure we have the right amount left when we get to the Cape Verde Islands and head right with the Trade Winds - which of course will be there, he says optimistically - ready to shoot us west. We have access to weather data here on board, but it is limited and slow over a sat-phone which has broadband speed like you used to have at home in the early days of internet. So G’s brother Angus has helpfully done some more detailed research online, and texted us the news that the Trades are expected at the Cape Verde Islands by around Sunday, which is when we hope to get down north-west of the islands.

Distance run in the last 24 hours: 103 nautical miles Cumulative distance run since ARC start: 516 nautical miles
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next