Barracuda's Blog

The adventures of Kate and Graham and their OVNI 395

23 November 2023 | Bonny Scotland.
19 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania
18 November 2023 | Orford, Tasmania
17 November 2023 | Bichenot, Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Tasmania
15 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
13 November 2023 | Hobart, Tasmania,Australia
12 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
11 November 2023 | Cottage Point, NSW, Australia
07 November 2023 | Sydney, Australia
07 November 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
31 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg Marina
25 October 2023 | Port Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
18 October 2023 | Noumea, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
12 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
11 October 2023 | Ille des Pines, New Caledonia
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Ille des Pines
09 October 2023 | Kuto Baie, Ille des Pines, NC.

Trade Wind Routine

29 November 2017
We have been in the trade winds now for two days and we are adapting our routine accordingly. At this point the days are reasonably predictable but you never know what tomorrow will bring (although the weather is fairly steady).

Night Watches: we are running a rolling watch system with one person on for two hours at a time during the hours of darkness. One night you do one watch, the next you do two watches and then back to one. It is a fair system that allows us all to rotate through the different watches and to see life at night from sunset to sunrise.

Night watches are just the most divine experience in settled conditions (for G at least). One of those things that are hard to describe but I’ll try. The boat is just sailing itself on the wind vane. The sails barely need adjusting as we are running with a locked down goose-wing set up â€�" fully prevented. We adjust the course a little if the wind changes but it does not change much. The boat is rolling slowly, surging along and leaving a wake, sometimes with phosphorescence. The first half of last night started with a clear sky and a very bright moon â€�" you could see the horizon all around. As the moon set and proper darkness set in, the night sky lit up and we had Orion directly overhead. It is like having your own private planetarium. In the morning it gets light and all around you the ocean touches the sky â€�" Fab!

We are getting used to the night sky, and what we will see when. We attended a great lecture before we left Las Palmas on the night sky and how to navigate by it.

Night routines: activities vary - sometimes reading, sometimes listening to music, sometimes lost in private thought and sometimes just looking at the sky. Every watch starts with a cuppa brewed by the person going off watch for the person coming on, and there is always a snack box in the cockpit.

Other boats: we keep a look out, but there are very few around. Last night we did not see any within AIS range although we know they are just over the horizon, which is nice.

Yesterday we had a social catch up on the VHF with Tina and Richard on Just Joia. Lovely to hear how they are doing. They are in the same general area as us.

In the morning we usually download the weather forecast to see what the next few days are looking like and to see if any course adjustment is needed. At midday we send out the blog and get the fleet position updates, from which we can see how we are doing and who is near us.

We have a walk round the boat once or twice a day to make sure all is as it should be, looking particularly for chafe. We do boat maintenance, make bread, make fresh water, read and snooze a fair bit; there’s also the big question of menu planning which can take up hours. We are hoping that fishing will recommence shortly, but that’s a fairly passive sport. We sometimes remember our exercise routines, too. Someone gave us some advice before we left â€�" get rest whenever you can â€�" sage advice.

Supper was a fine beef and ginger stir-fry - yeah!

Distance run in the last 24 hours: 141 nautical miles (wind dropping a bit at the moment so don’t expect blistering numbers tomorrow)

Cumulative distance run since ARC start: 1,251 nautical miles
Comments
Vessel Name: Barracuda of Islay
Vessel Make/Model: OVNI 395
Crew: Graham and Kate
About: Learning as we go
Extra: One day at a time
Barracuda of Islay's Photos - Main
20 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
19 Photos
Created 10 January 2024
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2024
Some shots from our tour of Northland, North Island New Zealand - Dec 22.
37 Photos
Created 4 December 2022
41 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
29 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Starting in the Chesapeake, down the ICW to the Bahamas and onto Puerto Rico and the Caribbean
24 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
Barracuda's trip from Scotland to Europe, the Canaries, and across the Atlantic to the Caribbean followed by a trip up to the Bahamas and on to the USA East coast.
26 Photos
Created 11 February 2021
81 Photos
Created 30 April 2016
60 Photos
Created 16 September 2015
a pre-retirement holiday
19 Photos
Created 21 June 2015
some shots from our lovely trip around the Aegean with Ailie
8 Photos
Created 16 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 19 July 2014
2 great weeks with Steve and Bibi Rainey.
11 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
A long weekend with Catherine and David.
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda, K & G head south to a new home.
14 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Barracuda does the Western Isles of Scotland.
12 Photos
Created 18 July 2014
Kate and Graham Chillin'
7 Photos
Created 18 July 2014

Previous | List | Random | Next