Beam Reaching Adventurers

Croatia Flotilla, Sept. 2012

26 January 2012 | Central Coast, Croatia
21 June 2011
06 March 2011 | Canada
30 January 2011
30 January 2011
29 January 2011
29 January 2011
29 January 2011 | Split Airport
29 January 2011

2012 Suggested Itinerary

26 January 2012 | Central Coast, Croatia
Bob
Our 2012 planned itinerary combines a bit of everything - a great sailing destination, quiet anchorages and Croatian villages.

Our base Marina Mandalina is located just south of the city of Sibenik. Mandalina is a perfect starting point for sailing Croatia, whether we choose to sail north or south.

Day 1 - Marina Mandalina - Opat / Smokvica Vela via Kakan 25 nm

Our destination is the Kornati archipelago with its natural harbors, inviting bays and secluded beaches.

Along the way, we can tuck into Kakan and anchor in a small lagoon created by this island and the islands of Veli Brnjak and Mali Brnjak - this is a good spot for an afternoon swim. Go to: Sailing to Kakan

Opat and Smokvica Vela are located at the south-east end of Kornati National Park, and are wonderful bays with restaurants serving fresh, traditional seafood. At Opat, a challenging walk up the shale hills will reward energetic walkers with a panoramic view of the surrounding islands and islets.

Both places are good anchoring bays, but are exposed to the South. Mooring buoys provided by the restaurants are also available.

Day 2-3 Kornati National Park

For the next couple of days we'll enjoy great sailing, swimming and wonderful cuisine in this truly sailor's paradise. In contrast to the barren landscape above the water, the marine life is one of the richest in the Adriatic. It is strongly recommended not to plan a fixed route as what awaits us is a labyrinth of 89 islands, islets and reefs that make up Kornati National Park. There are numerous possibilities: Kravljacica, Levrnaka, Lavsa... The area is largely uninhabited except for a couple of smaller communities. There are plenty of good bays for anchoring, mooring to buoys or piers with fixed lazylines. Almost all good coves have a cozy restaurant serving delicious fresh seafood (e.g. "Kvarto" at Striznja and "Ante" in Vrulja).

ACI Marina Piskera located in beautiful surroundings in the middle of the Park offers 150 berths and is sheltered from the worst of the winds. Facilities include: Water, electricity, showers and toilets, restaurant and provisions.
http://www.aci-club.hr/marina.asp?ma=piskera

Day 4 Telaščica Nature Park

Telašćica Bay is located in the southeastern part of Dugi Otok, a long island that is a natural extension of the Kornati. The 8 km deep and 1.6 km wide bay surrounded by pinewoods and steep-sided cliffs is one of the largest and best protected bays in the eastern Adriatic coast. This is a perfect place to snorkel and discover the rich sea life and marine habitats. A 15 minute stroll to Lake Mir, a saltwater lake that is warmer and saltier than the sea is alleged to have great healing powers. For more information, go to: Telaščica Nature Park.

Day 5 Sali / Bozava

Follow the east coast of Dugi Otok to the island's largest settlement, Sali (pop. 710) a fishing centre with plenty of shops, internet cafes, bars, restaurants and a large supermarket. Scooter and bike rentals are available privately or from Sali hotel to explore the island. The road connecting all places on the island offers magnificent views.

Further north, Bozava (pop. 127) is a pleasant resort destination with souvenir shops, restaurants, bars, a diving centre and other sports facilities. Enjoy an evening stroll along the seaside promenade and a morning walk or cycle on one of the many wooded trails. The clean sea and beautiful beaches are ideal for those looking for peace and quiet in a small, friendly atmosphere. Saharun beach is well-known for its white sand and 400 m long shallow sea.

Day 6-7 Zadar

Zadar is the urban center of northern Dalmatia and one of the Adriatic's most interesting towns with a 3000 year old history. Within the walled peninsula-town are narrow cobbled pedestrian-only streets lined with Venetian-style houses, cafes and shops. There are plenty of historic and cultural sites to visit by day and at night the city's university students fill the eclectic bars and nightclubs.

Marina Zadar is located 10 minutes by footbridge to the Old Town. The facility includes: electricity, water, showers, toilets, laundry service, ice, café, restaurant and casino.

Option: If the transition from nature to cosmopolitan is too drastic for some, Ugljan Island is directly across from Zadar and offers a gentler transition. Kukljica has retained its local rural character and is a popular destination for locals.

Day 8 Murter Island

We'll sail south-east through the Pasman Canal, one of the more challenging cruising areas in the northern Dalmatian Coast.

The village of Murter has a selection of supermarkets and bakeries, as well as a fruit and vegetable market conveniently located close to the marina at Hramina Cove. A 15 minute walk to Slanica cove, features the most beautiful beach of the Sibenik Riviera. Restaurant Fabro (on the water) and Restaurant Boba are highly recommended.

Hramina Cove is protected from all winds and makes for a safe shelter for yachts. The facilities include: electricity and water, showers, toilets, laundry, internet café, restaurant and hotel.

Uvala Kosirina is a popular anchorage with good holding in sand and weed in depths of 3-13 m. A mile NW of the bay is a suitable spot for an afternoon swim.

Day 9 Vodice / Tribunj

Vodice is a popular seaside resort that has retained its 11th century charm. Old buildings along the seafront have been converted into lively bars, seasonal cafés and pizzerias. The pleasant coastal walk leading north to Tribunj is lined with concrete swimming areas giving easy access to the water. The aquarium in town is worth a visit.

The ACI Marina facilities include: Water, electricity, fuel, showers, toilets, laundry and internet café.

Option: Zlarin Island lies 1 M off the entrance to the canal leading to Sibenik. Zlarin is renowned for its coral jewellery and ornaments. The car free island has a few restaurants, bars and shop, a hotel, supermarket, coral museum and art gallery.

Krka National Park Excursion

03 August 2011
Bob
This was a great way to spend the day before boarding the boat!!
We can arrange a day excursion to one of Croatia's scenic treasures - Krka National Park near Skradin.

After visiting the Park, we will travel to Marina Mandalina with a quick stop at a supermarket in Sibenik to pick up provisions. We will arrive at 1800 in time for boarding our vessels.

Leave a comment if you want to join us.

2011 Planned Itinerary

21 June 2011
Bob
Day 1 Marina Kremik
Board vessels at 1800.

Day 2 Kremik-Vinisce 15.4 nm RED ROUTE
Depart Kremik and head south to Vinišće exploring several bays along the way. Vinišće is a small and quiet fishing village which is situated in a beautiful bay just 12 km from Trogir. In the vicinity there are several bays known for its pebble and sandy beaches - Voluja, Ricevo spring, Stari Trogir, Sicenica. Vinišće has several markets, restaurants, cafés, and a small marine.
Anchor in good holding ground with depths of 5-15 m.
Option: Marina is a picturesque village with a well protected marina.

Day 3
Vinisce-Milna 14.0 nm
Milna is one of those typical Mediterranean fishing villages they don't make anymore. Located on the western part of the island Brac, the harbour of Milna is drop-dead gorgeous with sand and pebble beaches including the cove of Vlaska. Few new buildings mar Milna's urban landscape. The civic buildings and fishermen's houses on the coast are connected by footpaths to the surrounding farms, vineyards and olive groves.
ACI Marine Facilities: Reception, exchange office, restaurant, café, toilets and showers. Next to the ACI Marina pier there are several supermarkets, grocery shops and a butcher's shop.

Day 4
Milna-Vrboska via Dugi Rat 21.8 nm
Vrboska is a small town on the northern coast of Hvar Island. The place is located at the bottom of a narrow and curving fjord. Vrboska is named "Little Venice" ue to the existence of several bridges. Typical Mediterranean local architecture of small houses on both sides of the canal connected to old town houses from the periods of renaissance, gothic and baroque, as well as old churches on one side of the canal and rich villas on the other side gives the place special charm and warmth. An image resembling those from old postcards…
ACI marina Vrboska is situated on the northern shore of Hvar island, on the south side of Vrboska bay. Marina is open throughout the year with 85 berths and 30 places on land.
Facilities: reception desk, exchange office, toilettes and showers, crane (5 ton), fuel supply, parking, power and eletricity connections. At the marina area there is alo wireless Internet acces available (WLAN ).

Day 5
Vrboska-Stari Grad 20.8 nm
Stari Grad is one of the oldest European towns and the oldest town on the island of Hvar - the island of sunshine, lavender and wine. Due to its special position - it is enclosed on the one side with the land and the fields of lavender and vineyards, and on the other side it is protected by the sea - Stari Grad has a special tourist attractiveness and it is one of the most visited holiday resorts on the Adriatic.

Day 6-7
Stari Grad-Palmizana 14.4 nm
Palmizana, on the island of Sveti Klement is renowned for the absence of cars and extensive footpaths to sandy beaches and secluded coves. It is in the Pakleni Islands and is a 20 minute ferry ride to Hvar Town. On Palmizana there is an ACI marina, restaurant and gallery. Stay two nights to explore Hvar Town and the surround area.
Option: Sail 20 nm to Vela Luca on Korcula Island.

Day 8
Palmizana-Vis 12.2 nm
Despite its picture postcard Mediterranean beauty, its olive groves and vines, its ancient ruins and deserted beaches, it has virtually no tourists. As an army base in former Yugoslavia, Vis Island never developed a tourist industry. When Vis finally opened for business in 1989, visitors were pleased to discover that its natural beauty remained intact. Much of the island is devoted to vineyards that produce the famous white wine, "Vugava" and the red wine "Plavac". In addition to interesting ruins from the Greek and Roman period, there are villas and churches dating from the 16th and 17th centuries.
Komiza is a picturesque fishing village on the western coast and makes a good base to catch a boat to the Blue Grotto on tiny Bisevo island. Between 11am and noon on a sunny calm day, rays of the sun passing through an underwater opening illuminate the cave with a luminous blue light while objects beneath the surface shimmer in silver and pink.

Day 9
Vis-Mala Luka 23.3 nm
Anchor for night in scenic bay facing west.

Day 10
Mala Luka-Kremik 15.9 nm
Up early to arrive at Kremik 0900. Disembark.

Total Distance: 137.8 nm

Planning to Travel Pre or Post Sailing?

07 May 2011
Sailorbob
If you are planning to travel pre- or post- sailing, I can recommend a great travel agency to help you. I booked my 2 week u-drive trip from Dubrovnik - Trogir through Croatia Charter Holidays located in Split. Karmen was very attentive to my needs and requests and recommended great places to visit and accommodations to stay on my tour from Dubrovnik - Trogir. If you are interested in putting together a guided tour for a group she can help.

Travel agencies in Croatia are licensed and insured as they are in Canada. I found this agency through the Croatian National Tourism Board and checked their credentials.

Globe and Mail Article

06 March 2011 | Canada
Marla
Hello everyone! This past week there was an article on CROATIA and ZAGREB in the Globe's travel section. If any of you are planning on touring around Croatia's inland attractions, this is a good story!March 3rd is the date it appeared and Sandra MacGregor is the writer. See the article .... Your text to link...

FAQ

30 January 2011
Post a comment for any questions and replies you have.
Vessel Make/Model: Various
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/beamreaching

Port: Vancouver