Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Cooktown to Portland Road

07 June 2006 | Cooktown
Malc
Sunday June 7th 2006

Left Cooktown at first light, 0615 hours, went out into winds up to 33 knots, not very pleasant, as the waves where on the beam, couple of the blighters got into the cockpit. After rounding Cape Bedford, and turning north, things settled down, with the wind and waves on the starboard quarter,
A Seawatch customs airplane swooped on us, then called us on VHF 16, asking for our details, are was in order. We got into Lizard Island at 1430 hours, very good time, for the 50 miles, with 3 reefs in the main and just the staysail as a steadier.
Just anchor, when we where asked by Tweed, John and Pam, if we would like to go on the beach of a get together, they offered to pick us up in their dingy, we readily agreed, and met lots of cruises that are going on the rally.

Monday June 8th 2006

Decided to take a day off, then do a long 70 miler tomorrow. Had to repair 2 hp outboard again, still leaking petrol, so renewed carburettor fuel sump gasket, also some tanning in thesump, so gave it a good clean out.
After sunset meeting on the beach, we have been convinced that we should see more of Lizard Island, so we will do the walk tomorrow, up the hill to check out the reef's, as did Captain Cook.

Tuesday June 9th 2006

A lovely leisurely morning, and breakfast, then hiking shoes on, and up to check out the reef,s as Cook did only 236 years ago. It was quite a climb, over rocks of the first part,taking over an hour to get to the top, but beautiful views of the reefs, the island, photo below at Cook's Lookout.



Had a picnic at the top, then back down, we where both very tired. So back to the boat for a well earned rest. Went ashore to watch the sun set, then back to the boat, dingy up, dinner, and get ready for our 85 miles sail to Flinders.
The photo on the next page, is one of the views from the summit of Lizard Island, it was lovely to get some walking in. The reef,s around here start to close in, it's on wonder that Captain Cook thought there was no way out, luckily we have charts, chart plotters, and GPS, it,s makes it a lot easier, but we still have to deal with wind and waves, and getting up early!



Wednesday 07.06.06

Up at 0230 hours, sailing by 0300 hours, wind 25 knots from the South, bugger, I had expected SE winds, and had put the pole up accordingly, the evening before, which is now on the wrong side.. I don't do deck work in the dark, unless it is very necessary! We sailed with two reefs in the main and staysail, as the Genoa would have had to be poled, It actually worked out just right, and was doing seven to eight knots, sometimes nine. Once all sails were set, Lindy went back to bed, it's quite scary, in the pitch black, sailing along at such speed, reefs all around, but the radar, and all the instruments info, soon gives one the confidence that is needed to do this.
We had a brilliant sail, except coming around Cape Melville, when I thought we would be sheltered by the wind, the wind increased to 30 odd knots, and had to reef the main from one reef to the third reef, it was one of those moments, but all went well, and no problems arose from it.
Talking of problems, getting the anchor up in the dark, the very last of the chain had doubled wrapped around the windless, and totally jammed the chain, and killed the windless. After trying on passage to release the chain, every thing was so tight, I could not undo any-thing, so in the end, had to cut the anchor chain with the bolt croppers. Once cut, I could release the chain, connect up the anchor again, then trance the problem with the windless, the problem caused the fuse to blown in the bow-thruster locker. Getting the anchor up by hand, is not something we would care to do!
We got to Flinders Island by 1500 hours, 12 hours sailing, 85 miles, averaging over 6 knots, yet again, it's a different anchorage, between two Islands, it is like anchoring in a lake.
Will take a day off sailing tomorrow, next leg is 60 n miles, to Morris Island.

Thursday 08.06.06

We had a lovely rest day, at Flinders Island, we moved closer and nearer to the beach as wind seems to be increasing, as the weather forecast stated, as the fetch was increasing.
I spent a day sorting out bits around the boat, found old touch, which needs some TLC, repaired the 12 volt plug under the nav. table.
Went ashore at 1630 hours, and met the other two boats, La Barca, and San-E-T, they were planning to have a barbie , cooking very large prawns, squid, giving to La Barca by the trawlermen and Sweetlip supplied the San-E-T. and invited us to join them.
The Barbie was delicious, cooked over an open fire, and stayed till 2000 hours chatting, La Barca, Adam and Bromen, and they have 2 children on board, one 18 months, Aimee and Jack, four





Friday 9th June 2006

Had a Sweetlip fish, delivered to the boat, courtesy of San-E-T still alive and kicking, lunch is sorted. We are going over to the shore to get water, shower, and do some washing, there is rain water storage tanks there.



On are return from the washing, as we got back to the boat we saw the wind generator vibrating violently , caused by the topping lift line coming free, getting caught in the blades, and breaking one of them. I knew the shackle was loose, so I need keel hauling, luckily we think we have a spare blade. Will order three more blades from Trinidad, the old ones are getting worn now!
On searching the boat, found the spare blade, and within 15 minutes, problem solved, and generating amps from the wind again, the more we foresee problems, and hold spare parts, the luckier we get. We feel very relieved that we could sort the problem out, we where beside ourselves when we saw what had happened. Tit may also cut us back on the fridge and the TV !!!
Lent our spare dingy pump to La Barca, as they had a leak in their ding, and their pump was knackered.
Three boats came into the anchorage, at 1730 hours, we are off tomorrow, at first light,0615 hours, and trying to do the next four day runs, to the top, 260 miles, straight off, if weather and fitness are right.
Both of us are ready to go again, its great that we both feel like that, and looking forward to another exciting sail. Forecast for tomorrow is SE 20-25 knots.

Saturday 10th June 2006

Left Flinders Island at 0615 hours, no wind, got around corner and the wind started to increase, after 30 minutes we were able to switch off the motor, and sail, we were sailing very well, with Insane-E-T trying to catch us, we had every sail up, that was available to us. And no chance baby, we left them in our wake!
Tony off Insane-E-T called to say he had chaught a 20 lb Spanish Mackerel, and would share it with us, so we pulled up our line, no need to catch then if you are not going to eat them
Come 1330 hours the wind dropped, so we had to motor sail, got to the anchorage at 1630 hours, the latest we like to be in , Tony came in an hour later, and brought the prepared fish over, Lindy cooked it, it was very good.
The anchorage is beautiful, with one palm tree, the only one to survive the British Admiralty policy of the last century, that was to provide many of the Barrier Reef Islands with means of support for shipped wreaked crew , to this end they put goats, and planted coconut palms to sustain them.,
Planning to go on to Portland Roads anchorage, tomorrow, leaving at first light again, winds increasing forecast to increase to 30 knots in the afternoon, fine, apparent wind would be 23 knot.


Morris Island, part for a large barrier reef, note the solitary palm tree, was planted by the British Admiralty, explained above .

Sunday 11th June 2006

Left Morris Island at 0615 hours, had a brilliant down wind sail, thought all the barrier reef's, well charted thank goodness!
We arrived at Portland Road anchorage at 1545 hours, a 9 and a half hour sail, at some times guiding along at up to 9 knots on a flat seas.
Had company of San-E-T and Barca, barca are anchored by us, San-E-T went to an anchor further back.


Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK