Mr Bean at Sea

18 September 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
20 February 2007 | Langkawi, Malaysia
16 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
13 February 2007 | Talaga Marina
07 February 2007 | Koh Mok
03 February 2007 | Phi Phi Don
27 January 2007 | Phuket
13 January 2007 | Phuket and surrounding islands.
09 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
03 January 2007 | Phuket and the surrounding Islands
26 December 2006 | Phuket and the Islands
10 December 2006 | Phuket
01 December 2006 | Thailand
22 November 2006 | Panang
16 November 2006 | Port Dickson
30 October 2006 | Singapore
30 October 2006 | Singapore
18 October 2006 | Bangka Island..01.32'N 105. 50.97'E
09 October 2006 | Borneo..03 20.03'S:114 33.01'E

Kupang to Suga Bay, Indonesia

29 July 2006 | Kupang
Malc
Photo above of Rally Head quarters at Kupang,

No Photos in Blog, See Photo Gallery


Saturday 29th July 2006

Up early, got the three diesel and one petrol can into dingy ready to get them filled, did an hour stitching the Genoa, only a couple of hours to go.
Left the boat at 0830 to sort out the fuel, then did the trip around West Timor, starting at 0900 hours, we first went to the local market, got all are vegetables for the next part of the trip, then on to the museum, which was very interesting, then a lunch stop, then on to see some dancing, then on to see a lovely water fall, then on to see some Monkeys in their natural habitat .
Arrived back at 1700 hours, picked up fuel, back to boat, cleaned up, then back ashore, for an-other do, which was very good, and was able to have a dance, which we both enjoyed.







Sunday 30th July 2006

Finished sowing the Genoa sail, to windy to put back up, tied the fuel containers back on, now the boat is ready for the next trip, we plan to go tomorrow at about 1100 hours, for the 109 n mile trip to Solo, plan to arrive early when the wind is light, so we can see the reefs in the anchorage.
Got tide charts of Indonesia from This way up, took photo's to Been a long , the wind was up to 25 knots, two boats had dragged, so as we where planning to go ashore, asked been A Long to keep an eye on Mr Bean, so took my hand held VHF radio ashore with us.
Took the Beama, the local bus service, to a very nice restaurant, and then on to the Mall to buy presents for bartering, and some fruit and beer.
Back to Boat, and a restful night.

Monday 31st July 2006

Up at 0600 hours, got the Genoa back up its track, and ready to go, also got the 15 hp outboard on board, swapped it with the 2 hp, then got the dingy up, all before the wind started to get up.
Had breakfast, relaxed a bit, got the anchor up, and off to Solor Island 110 n miles away, planning to be there by 0900 hours on Tuesday.
Had a lovely sail, in flat seas and light winds on the nose, so had to bear away 10 degress, at sunset, the wind dropped a bit and the tide was against us, I was quite surprised that the wind was from just west of north, we were expecting SE. During the night, what we think is was falling tide, we had up to 2.5 knots against us.

Tuesday 1st August 2006

Lindy called me at 0700 hours, we where in sight of Solor and all the other islands, it was stunning...photos below and on...



More photo's of the land fall, on next page...notice the dolphin's fin in the above photo. Got to the anchorage by 0930 hours, it was a lovely calm spot, most of the anchorage was used by the locals as a fish farm, with nets covering most of the area. Tried for two hours to anchor, but could not get it to hold, then Lindy heard on the VHF that a yacht was moved on by a man holding a machine gun, I checked out the location, and it was west of Flores, but with anchor problem and gun problem , we moved to Leba Leba Bay some 18 miles East, we arrived there at 1430 hours, to this anchorage with one metre waves, lots of rally and local boats, not what we were looking for, anchored in 10 metres, but later the boats were going all different directions and we were getting to close to another boat, so again we upped anchor, and moved out and back a bit, fed up with anchoring today.




Wednesday 2nd August 2006

Got up, looking towards shore the view in the misty still morning, was magic, the photo below does not really do it.



Spent the morning cleaning the cockpit area, much needed, and now looks fabulous. On reflection this anchorage is lovely, we have own volcano, which is smoking in the back ground. Photo blow...


Gambori and Aquarius arrived here in the afternoon; we had called them up to give them info on the problem our proposed anchorage, and decided to come to where we are. At 1600 hours, when things get a rolly, wind over tide, so went ashore, via Aquarius and Gambori,
Gambori can with us ashore, and we had a great time walking into town, saw a sight that you would not see walking into Hastings town centre, a bull had just been killed, and they where butchering it at the road side, photos below, and on..

On the way back had a drink and brilliant red snapper meal in the local hot spot.
The sunsets here are magnificent, a photo on the next page, and the whole feel, the light in the morning and evening give spectacular images of the surroundings, and it has inspired me to take to my water colours and try to capture on canvas, what the camera cannot

Thursday 3rd August 2006

Filled up with diesel from two jerry cans, then went ashore with Gary and Rob to get the cans re-filled, the filling station about a half mile from where we landed in the dingys, very different, there were two open tanks inside the filling station, one petrol and one diesel, and a guy at each filling up jerry cans by hand with a scoop with his bare hand..
In the evening, went aboard Des,s boat, and had a really good time, Luke play the didgeridoo, very well. We are planning to leave tomorrow morning, and head north about 20 miles.

Friday 4th August 2006

Left the anchorage at 0900 hours, sailed NW to the pass, where we had 3 knots of current against us, but still pleasant. Arrived at out new anchorage, at 1300 hours, a pretty little bay called Suga Bay on the north coast.
By 1600 hours, we had six boats in it, and at sunset, we had most of them on board for drinks and pizza. It was a great evening.

Saturday 5th August 2006

Repaired the 2 hp outboard motor, the gasket was stopping the petrol float from shutting, so it was flooding intermittently, hopefully that will now stop.
Went ashore at 1100 hours, and walked along the shore to the village, what lovely people, big smiles, and loved having their photo's taken, and being shown the result.
On returning to the boat I printed six pages of photos taken that day, and gave it to them later when we had a Bar-B-Que, on the beach. Photos follow on the next pages, of the day in Suga Bag, the children were just wonderful......
The Bar B Que was great, cooked on an open fire with the local children watching, and helping to make the fire, they watch you very closely, they just stare when you are not looking at them.
Back to the boat at 1730 hours, to miss the mosquitoes, got the dingy up ready for an 0800 hours start tomorrow, heading for a reef stop for lunch, and maybe over night if the holding is OK, if not we stall go on a bit.
Vessel Name: Mr Bean
Vessel Make/Model: Bruce Roberts
Hailing Port: Eastbourne, UK
Crew: Malcolm Robertson
About: Admiral Lindy Robertson
Extra: Yacht Mr BeanIs presently on the hard stand at Rebak Marina, Langkawi. while we spend the summer back in the UK. Left UK, from Eastbourne Marina on June 15th 1998, and have nearly sailed around the world, mostly just the two of us.

Who: Malcolm Robertson
Port: Eastbourne, UK