S/V BeBe

2003 model Amel Super Maramu 2000

02 October 2010 | Rebak Marina, Langkawi, Malaysia
06 June 2009 | Mackay, Australia
26 December 2008 | Gulf Harbour Marina near Auckland
06 April 2008 | Shelter Bay Marina
23 February 2008 | Bocas del Toro, Panama
15 January 2008 | Shelter Bay Marina
17 July 2007 | Bonaire
11 June 2007 | Prickly Bay, Grenada
30 May 2007 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
13 October 2006 | Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
29 January 2006 | BVI
08 December 2005 | Houston, TX
09 October 2005 | Houston, TX
27 July 2005 | Houston, TX
21 July 2005 | Houston, TX
21 July 2005 | St. Martin

Bocas del Toro, Panama

23 February 2008 | Bocas del Toro, Panama
Judy
We arrived in Bocas del Toro on January 31 and docked at Carenero Marina on February 1. Bill caught a very nice yellow-fin tuna during our passage from Colon to Bocas. We now have 2 rods and reels and they make all the difference in catching fish. Previously we were using simple hand lines (called Cuban reels). If a big fish struck on the hand lines then the line would snap and off would go our lures. The rod and reel allow the fish to run awhile and tire before being reeled in. This works infinitely better.

There was a pot-luck dinner on our first evening at the marina and we joined the other cruisers for a nice evening. That is also the evening that I was nearly eaten alive by no-see-ums -- more than a 100 bites. I am hyper-sensitive to these particular midges and was covered with large welts that would soon become bleeding holes that will last for 2-3 months. So, I have been staying inside the boat with the air-conditioning going ever since. As a result, I very much do not like Bocas del Toro. Am very much looking forward to leaving this place.

We have changed plans again. Not spending the next year along the Pacific coast of Central America. Instead, we are moving onward in the South Pacific!!!

We will be transiting the Panama Canal mid-March, accompanied by our friends Paul & Michele on FREE SPIRIT (a Catana 431 catamaran previously named BLUEPRINT MATCH). Then we will continue on to the Galapagos Islands. Hopefully then onward to New Zealand. However, if Bill and I absolutely hate the passage to Galapagos, then we will return via Ecuador and FREE SPIRIT will continue on without us. Don't think that is likely but that is our last chance to abandon the long trip to New Zealand. Bill is worried that the long passages would be too tough on just the two of us and he won't get enough sleep. That part doesn't worry me. So here's hoping we continue onward to New Zealand.

Very much looking forward to seeing the exotic wildlife in the Galapagos Islands. And we think that we will enjoy the South Pacific much more if sailing in tandem with our friends on FREE SPIRIT, Paul, Michele, 5-year-old Merric and 3-year-old Seana. It will be a lot more fun to share the excitement with other people. Plus, Michele speaks French and that will be an enormous help to us in the Marquesas, Tuamotos and Tahitian islands since neither Bill nor I speak a word of French.
Comments
Vessel Name: BeBe
Vessel Make/Model: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Hailing Port: St. Thomas
Crew: Judy & Bill Rouse
About: We left Houston, Texas, and flew to our boat in the BVI. Moved aboard 1st May 2006. Renamed boat from S/V Security to new name S/V BeBe in March 2007. Loving this cruising life so far!
Extra: We hope to eventually complete a circumnavigation and visit as many harbors worldwide as our time and budget allow.
Social:

Amel Circumnavigation

Who: Judy & Bill Rouse
Port: St. Thomas