Becoming Mrs Argos

What stared out as a family sailing adventure around Australia has changed somewhat! Now its mum and the kids (now aged 17 and almost 15) working it out for themselves while cruising the Queensland coast!

24 November 2016
19 August 2016
03 August 2016
21 June 2016
25 April 2016
09 February 2016
07 December 2015
25 August 2015 | South Stradbroke Island
10 August 2015
06 July 2015
04 May 2015
24 April 2015
11 April 2015 | Southport
01 April 2015 | Southport

Merry Christmas from Argos!

07 December 2015
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas on board Argos!
With sparkly tinsel and lights adorning the beautiful stern window, and the little fibre-optic tree we bought in Portland on the first Christmas we had on board, and the back window area strewn with brightly wrapped presents, everywhere is looking very Christmassy!
We were talking about Christmas with our friends Robin and Sue who own the very lovely Norfolk, a stunningly fitted-out ketch, about Christmas a few weeks ago. Turns out they love Christmas as much as we do and mention was made of how only a few boats down here tended to get decorated and put up lights. ‘Well’ we said, ‘We do!’ and so did they. So we have both had loads of fun with our decorations and with seeking, not so much to out-do each other, as feed each other’s love of the fun that Christmas can be if you are willing to let it!
We enjoyed the Christmas Carols put on by the local council on Saturday evening. They were held in the Broadwater Parklands, but Norfolk, anchored near the shore, provided a much cosier spot to listen and then towards the end of the evening, the perfect vantage point to watch the fireworks display from the barge that was only 50 mts away from us!

When this year began I had no idea of the unexpected turn of events that would befall us. I had expected a pretty ordinary year with highs and lows and ups and downs. Truth told, I expected more downs than ups and more lows than highs and while I would not have wished the events of February on my worst enemy, I have come to see that not all losses are bad.
We have come through this year with flying colours. Many, many good things have come our way – support from so many, excellent friendships, great work done on the boat – by ourselves and the many businesses we have found. We have learned a thing or two and have grown hugely in our confidence and capacity to manage the boat and with Christmas and the end of the year approaching, I can’t help but step back and reflect on how very far we have come.

Earlier we hoped we would be able to sail back up to the Whitsundays this year but after the ‘Trawler Incident’ and the lengthy time spent repairing Argos, we lost that opportunity. There was a moment, when we left Boatworks after all the repairs were completed when we still entertained that hope, but in retrospect we really weren’t ready for such a big trip. Looking back, we are all very glad that we didn’t try and travel, we really have had plenty to learn without adding all that could happen on a big trip to the list!
We are still waiting to get the steering issues repaired completely, so we have not moved from our anchorage in Bums Bay for the past month or so but it looks as if that will be sorted out soon and we hope to spend many days over the summer trying out some different anchorages. Of course, that depends on Erina and work – she has been able to get a couple of jobs as a deck hand on charter boats – which is fantastic experience for her and she hopes to begin her Coxswains in the coming year.
Overall, this year, while often bringing us many unexpected events, losses and incidents has been fantastic. We have really found ourselves in so many ways, established ourselves in the local boating community, joined committees and even featured as ‘Real People of the Gold Coast’. You can read the article on-line here - https://www.facebook.com/goldcoastbulletin/photos/a.389925412357.169612.197794592357/10153276273582358/?type=3&theater
So as Christmas approaches we find ourselves only thankful. Thankful for the many difficulties that came our way that have led us out of our comfort zones and into a stronger, richer, happier 2015 than we could ever have imagined!

Merry Christmas to you and if you find yourself on the Gold Coast over the summer, don’t hesitate to call past and say hi!

Comments
Vessel Name: Argos
Vessel Make/Model: Gaff Rig Schooner designed by Jay Benford, built by Jack Stolp
Hailing Port: Albany WA
Crew: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
About:
After starting out from Albany WA in July 2011, we have faced some big seas, tricky situations and serious storms. We have learned to sail and learned to love the life of the cruising sailor. [...]
Extra:
In the years since we started Erina and Liam have become fine sailors. Liam is a keen knot man and has created a plethora of decorative rope finishes on board, as well as being skillful at any knot-work required on deck. Erina is the the master of the galley and cooks up the most incredible meals [...]
Home Page: www.becomingmrsargos.weebly.com
Social:

Becoming Mrs Argos

Who: Sue Parry-Jones, Erina and Liam Jones and Capt'n Jack Sparrow!
Port: Albany WA