Sunrise: Chasing the dream

Life filled with adventure, both actual and spiritual.

30 May 2021 | Sawmill Point Marina, Wilmington NC, USA
27 May 2021
24 May 2021 | Wilmington Marine Center, USA
23 February 2021 | Cape Fear Yachts
20 December 2020 | Cape Fear Yachts
11 December 2020 | Cape Fear Yachts
09 September 2020 | Wilmington Port, USA
09 September 2020 | Wilmington Port, USA
05 February 2017 | Pte Miri Miri, Raiatea, French Polynesia
05 February 2017 | Raiatea Lagoon, French Polynesia
05 February 2017 | South end of Raiatea
01 February 2017 | Baie Vaiaeho, Raiatea, French Polynesia
01 February 2017 | Baie Vaiaeho, Raiatea, French Polynesia
31 January 2017 | West Side of Raiatea
31 January 2017 | West Side of Raiatea, French Polynesia
31 January 2017 | West side of Raiatea
30 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
30 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
28 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
27 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia

Food, what worked and didn't work on passage

27 July 2014 | Fatu Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia
Bill
Isobel helps by cutting grapes for the curried chicken salad.

We have thought a lot about what worked and didn't work on the boat during our passage. Partly because those who follow us might want to think about these things and partly to let us plan for future passages. This passage is one of the longest we will ever do, yet some little things made it better or worse to deal with. As I have said in past blogs, we had heard stories of this passage as being slow and long with lots of down wind sailing in light wind. That is not what we had!

Lara's cooking is always pretty remarkable, Isobel and I are very fortunate that Lara is so interested and dedicated to making tasty, healthy food all the time. Those who know her, know that she is not one to open a can of beans if she can wash, soak, cook, and spice some dried beans�...

Lara did a lot of work provisioning. We always try to buy local foods�... but the green apples (source unknown: Dole) that we bought in the Galapagos lasted really well, we still have plenty and were an easy quick snack either by them selves or with cheese, peanut butter or almond butter. She would often put them in breakfast pancakes, oatmeal or yogurt. They were hung in a hammock above the starboard settee. When we set off, it was a little disconcerting going to sleep there, looking up at over 100 apples rocking in the hammock. The hammock was secured to keep it from swinging too much and making apple sauce!

We were thrilled to be able to buy green (as well as ripe) tomatoes in Isabela, Galapagos. These ripened slowly and we still have tomatoes becoming ripe. We still have onions purchased in Panama the first of May. They have spent all that time in mesh bags hanging on the lifelines, a trick we learned from SV Salsa.

We bought two big bunches of green bananas in Isabela, Galapagos, but Lara thinks we bought them too early, about 5 days before our passage. The bunch we covered fared better than the bunch that was uncovered. Note that we soaked them both for an hour in salt water, a process that washed at least two cockroaches off them! Phew! It was hard to secure them so they didn't bang as the boat rocked and rolled. My guess is that at least 1/2 of them were damaged or rotted before we could eat them. We ate them in yogurt, as snacks, and Lara made a lot of banana bread which was a big hit, especially as a midnight snack. She makes it with almond flour (so it has some protein) and chocolate chips (and flaked coconut if we have).

We bought a bunch of delicious local mandarins on Isabela. Unfortunately, when they were picked the stem and a chunk of skin stayed on the tree and left the fruit open to bacteria, so those that were not eaten immediately, rotted within days.

Lara made and froze some food (meat sauce, kitchari, black beans), but our freezer is not that big. We have met several boats who can food. This is something we need to learn how to do with confidence. This would leave the freezer and fridge space for other things.

In addition to the banana bread, pancakes are wonderful things on passage. They are quick to make and can be made in poor sea conditions. She always tries to make more than we need as they fit well in the freezer or fridge, and become quick access snacks later. Lara has 2 favorite recipes, both made to be healthy and hearty, so they provide protein. These are not IHOP pancakes! All recipes have almond flour and egg in them. She makes a breakfast version with apples and cinnamon, often served with fruit and yogurt. Without apple and cinnamon you have a savory pancake that can operate like bread served with any topping from peanut butter and jelly, cream cheese and tomatoes, tomatoes, basil and mozzarella, BLT minus lettuce�... Then there are the corn pancakes that can be used wherever corn bread or corn tortilla would be used. We like them with cheddar cheese and tomato (and avocado if available!) or the classic with butter and jam.

Lara has her stock meal, which we all love, an Indian kitchari made with lots of spices and ginger, red lentils, brown rice rice and whatever root vegetable and greens might be available. In Central and South America they make queso blanco/fresco, which is similar to Indian paneer, so it goes well in the kitchari. She makes a big batch which can be several meals. It tastes especially good at 2 am for whoever is on watch. We learned from SV Foxglove in the Bahamas in 2010 about Easi-Yo, a packet of yogurt mix and yogurt maker thermos contraption. Lara has been making fresh yogurt for us since then. Really wonderful. The price has gone up a lot and it is a project to have it shipped from New Zealand, so Lara learned on line that a partial packet can be used with powdered milk to give the same results.

Anyone knows that when working hard and under stress, food it important. I think Lara should get an award for her dedication to cooking special foods for every meal. If it had been me cooking, we would have had a lot of PB&J's!!

10 27.875s 138 40.086w
Comments
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 38
Hailing Port: Dorset, VT
Crew: Bill, Lara and Isobel Calfee
About: We left Lake Champlain September 18th, 2009. Isobel was 7 months old
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/beherenowii
Sunrise's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 8 September 2016
5 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2016
An amazing day out with two local guys on Moorea, Polynesia
30 Photos
Created 27 September 2014
22 Photos
Created 27 May 2014
2013 trip to Peru
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2013
4 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
E-dock community
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 May 2013
No Photos
Created 4 March 2013
No Photos
Created 2 March 2013
Repairs to the teak deck
No Photos
Created 21 July 2011
The survey and other early photos
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 22 February 2011
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 22 February 2011
3 Sub-Albums
Created 18 February 2011
A new crew member joins Be Here Now II
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 February 2009
44 Photos
Created 15 December 2008
A 20 day journey across the Atlantic Ocean
48 Photos
Created 14 December 2008
During the summers 2005-2007 we sailed Lake Champlain on Be Here Now, our 23' Seafarer Kestrel
30 Photos
Created 20 January 2008
Site Meter