Sunrise: Chasing the dream

Life filled with adventure, both actual and spiritual.

30 May 2021 | Sawmill Point Marina, Wilmington NC, USA
27 May 2021
24 May 2021 | Wilmington Marine Center, USA
23 February 2021 | Cape Fear Yachts
20 December 2020 | Cape Fear Yachts
11 December 2020 | Cape Fear Yachts
09 September 2020 | Wilmington Port, USA
09 September 2020 | Wilmington Port, USA
05 February 2017 | Pte Miri Miri, Raiatea, French Polynesia
05 February 2017 | Raiatea Lagoon, French Polynesia
05 February 2017 | South end of Raiatea
01 February 2017 | Baie Vaiaeho, Raiatea, French Polynesia
01 February 2017 | Baie Vaiaeho, Raiatea, French Polynesia
31 January 2017 | West Side of Raiatea
31 January 2017 | West Side of Raiatea, French Polynesia
31 January 2017 | West side of Raiatea
30 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
30 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
28 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia
27 January 2017 | Marina Apooiti, Raiatea, French Polynesia

Back to the dream

19 May 2015 | Apataki, French Polynesia
Bill
Once we landed in Apataki, we had to take a boat ride about 6 miles across the atoll lagoon to the Apataki Carenage

Here we are home again. in this dreamy place.And yet, lets be honest. The dream, where is the dream? As we have said when people ask us of our Portland experience, “ The girls had fun, but Bill, not so much. The high lights for the girls are too many to list. For Bill, playing Marimba and getting to know my cousin more closely. Of course there were lots of nice things and things that I enjoyed… and yet I came away feeling that my expectations had not been filled. And Lara, she said, “ I could anywhere.” And that is true as she is more evolved than I.

So why this discussion? Well, if you look at the title of the blog, you might see that we left on this boat in search of something. And being honest, we went to Portland in search of something… maybe the same thing! ANd now, back on the boat, it has me thinking that location isn’t going to give us what we need! I can hear the laughter and those who are saying, “of course, you dumbo.” And again, I also risk having people say, but wait, you are living the dream. You are on a boat with your family in French Polynesia.” Yes, and I am first to admit that I am very fortunate to have all that… and yet, could we be honest and say, there might be a piece missing.

So, we have returned to the boat with four books that we plan on reading as a family and implementing.

The Japanese art of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, Getting Things Done by David Allen , The 15 commitments of a Conscious Leader by Dethmer, Chapman and Klemp http://15commitments.com , and The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron.

Why Tidy up? When we moved on the boat, that required getting rid of a lot of stuff, and that experience for us was incredible. We moved from two houses and a commercial building to a boat 38 feet long and 11 feet wide at the widest, and don’t forget that one end it quite pointy. And yet, our boat is still cluttered with stuff. We have remarked that for us, going on passage is stressful because of the work we have to do to get everything stowed. And doing any project on the boat requires a shuffling of “stuff” so we can access the tools and the area to do the project. What is interesting, when we look our ditch bag, other than survival gear, the only things we worry about are our photos. Hmmm… So, that begs the question, “what is all that stuff?” So, we will turn to Miss Kondo in hopes that we might answer that question and obtain some freedom in that area.

And, I can here you now, “Come on Calfee, you live on a boat, why do you need to “Get things done?” Well, what we have found in almost 6 years aboard Sunrise is that it is really no different than any other lifestyle. There are things that need doing: The boat is constantly calling to be fixed. There is always some that could be changed that would make life easier. There is all the day to day “chores” of cooking, washing up, laundry, bill paying, shopping, school work, etc. And then the things like navigation, planning, all the logistics of being in another country, without a car, operating in a foreign language, etc. I could go on and on. We have found that we can easily spend our days “doing what needs to be done” and never get out to experience some of the places we end up in! Really! Example is that we never went to Teahupoo, the world renowned surfing mecca on Tahiti! We sailed past it, we anchored within 5 miles of it, we stayed on Tahiti and had access to a car… and we never went there! So, we might use some help from Mr. !

And Conscious Leadership? “What the heck Calfee? You are not running a business out there, it’s a boat!” OK, this book is really about making life fun. Even when there is work to be done. And I will remind you that we have Isobel with us and although Lara and I could probably get through being cranky because the boat is on the hard, it is hot and there are bugs… there might be an opportunity to move the needle a little toward enlightenment…! I am not sure yet what all 15 commitments are, and yet I can see that if some joy and play can be found when things get rough, that would shift our experience.

And, The Artist’s Way. Well, again… some guidance around bringing joy, art and play to our life our life. To free our heads of all the little niggly thoughts that run around up there and allow in some creativity.

We feel like all these books are aligned and might give us some structure to take advantage of our situation. We look forward to your comments and we invite anyone who wants to join us in one or all of these endeavors.
Comments
Vessel Name: Sunrise
Vessel Make/Model: Hallberg Rassy 38
Hailing Port: Dorset, VT
Crew: Bill, Lara and Isobel Calfee
About: We left Lake Champlain September 18th, 2009. Isobel was 7 months old
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/beherenowii
Sunrise's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 8 September 2016
5 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 5 August 2016
An amazing day out with two local guys on Moorea, Polynesia
30 Photos
Created 27 September 2014
22 Photos
Created 27 May 2014
2013 trip to Peru
4 Photos
Created 15 August 2013
4 Photos
Created 6 June 2013
E-dock community
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 27 May 2013
No Photos
Created 4 March 2013
No Photos
Created 2 March 2013
Repairs to the teak deck
No Photos
Created 21 July 2011
The survey and other early photos
1 Photo | 3 Sub-Albums
Created 22 February 2011
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 22 February 2011
3 Sub-Albums
Created 18 February 2011
A new crew member joins Be Here Now II
13 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 17 February 2009
44 Photos
Created 15 December 2008
A 20 day journey across the Atlantic Ocean
48 Photos
Created 14 December 2008
During the summers 2005-2007 we sailed Lake Champlain on Be Here Now, our 23' Seafarer Kestrel
30 Photos
Created 20 January 2008
Site Meter