Bella

20 October 2011
15 October 2011
14 October 2011
14 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
10 October 2011
09 October 2011 | Leos Isl
07 October 2011 | Dirk Hartog Isl
07 October 2011 | Shark Bay
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
28 September 2011 | Exmouth
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
23 September 2011
18 September 2011
16 September 2011 | Broome

Jurien Bay

10 October 2011
Chris, Bryan
Sunday the forecast looked good to head the 120NM to Jurien with the prospect of some downwind northerly to help us along. We left the Abrolhos Islands between the Easter and Pelseart Group headed west into the massive swells rolling between the two island groups. Once clear of the islands the swell evened out and we were able to sail eased sheets for Jurien, doing 8-8.5 knots. Over night the angle became tighter and tighter as the wind went more east. (wasn’t meant to do that until south of Jurien!!) Eventually by 2 am we had 25-30 knots of south easterly, which on top of a south westerly swell, and some left over north westerly wind chop made for really lumpy sea!!! We ended up 20 miles from Jurien as the wind died out leaving a confused sea. We received a call from Illusion who’s steering had gone, 40 miles from Jurien. Then while starting their motor got a jib sheet wrapped around their prop!!! So poor Bruce and Di were dead in the water. A call to Jurien Sea rescue was made and a cray boat from Leeman towed them into Jurien, arriving at 4pm and $1500 lighter. A couple of straight Jameson Irish whiskies and a couple of beers soon settled everyones nerves, followed by a meal at the tavern. The west coast just keeps on dishing it up!

Kia Ora from the “ BELLA GHOST WRITTER “ what a character building experience for us all on that last passage, as you know I am not the most religious bloke on the yacht but I found myself mumbling to the Maori Gods on the odd occasion, the manager and cook at the Jurien tavern have become new friends and have looked after us on a number of occasions with more to come I’m guessing, heading Sth again soon and looking forward to what is in front, please keep the cards and letters pouring in I have them stuck to the ceiling of my cabin !!! Kia Kaha....
Comments
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Make/Model: Dufour
Hailing Port: Mandurah
Crew: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
About: We have taken 6 months off of work and school to sail our new boat 'Bella" from Brisbane, hopefully back to Mandurah, if not we will just enjoy what we see, weather dependent.

Who: Chris, Heidi, Kieran, Drina, Max and Tinka
Port: Mandurah