Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

One picture, a thousand words

06 July 2016 | Brindisi, Italy
Thanks to the digital age, we take thousands of pictures each year. We cannot imagine cruising the Med with a camera that has film, which requires developing. It would simply be cost prohibiting to snap the number of photos that we do, not to mention the challenge of finding some place on remote islands, in tiny villages, to develop the film, then scan the photos in order to post them on this blog. But as long as we have space on the memory card and a charged battery, we can click, click, click, to our hearts content. And click we do. There are situations, however, when we don't even think to take pictures, as was the case during our arrival in Italy.

We began with an early morning departure from Othonio Island in Greece. After carefully raising the anchor from the rocky minefield that we inadvertently dropped into the night before, we headed to the Adriatic Sea with the destination of Otranto Italy. Sloppy seas and wind on the nose made the first part of the journey somewhat uncomfortable, but at least the sun was shining. We busied ourselves with boat chores and books to pass the time. With just two hours to go, we called Otranto for a berth, only to be told that there was no room at the inn. We knew anchoring would be problematic in the small harbor, so after a quick look at the weather, we decided to push on to Brindisi. What's another nine hours?

Brindisi is a large commercial port on the east coast of Italy. We wanted to tour some of the surrounding region of Puglia and this would give us a good base for land travel. About five miles from the harbor, we noticed a rather ominous dark cloud and questioned if it might rain. But the weather forecast had just shown clouds, no rain. So we ignored the black mass in front of us and focused on the two enormous freighters approaching, along with one ginormous tanker leaving, the harbor. There were pilot boats and tugboats and little fishing boats everywhere. It was a frenetic environment, to say the least. But there seemed little concern for the weather; everyone was just going about the business at hand. In the distance we noticed a sailboat, its sails in shreds, and we wondered. Moments later, the wind began to come up and we soon had 40 knots with waves crashing over the bow. Then, there was thunder, and lightening so close to Berkeley East we had goose bumps. And ultimately, there was the classic torrential downpour. BE was in need of a good wash but this was not how we wanted to get her cleaned. While we planned evasive maneuvers for the freighters, and dodged the tiny fishing boats that were finally racing for cover, we decided what pieces of electronics to put in the microwave in case BE's mast was struck by lightening. The choices of radios, GPS and computers were obvious, but cameras went in as well. No thoughts of taking photos even crossed our minds.

Once inside the harbor, we breathed a sigh of relief and decided to move away from the cargo ships and wait for the storm to pass before attempting to dock. Brindisi's harbor has multiple docks on the outside for big ships, so we went through the cut where we would be out of the way, only to be followed by a 600-foot freighter. Where were they going? As we got inside, we noticed that there were areas where the freighter could possibly dock, both to the right and to the left. So we stopped and waited to see which way the massive beast would turn, only to realize that it wasn't turning at all, it was anchoring, right there, nearly on top of BE. Yikes! Nowhere to go, nowhere to hide, we stood our ground and held our breath. As we were contemplating what to do, and feeling like sitting ducks, we noticed a man run down from a cafe to the dock, through the rain and lightening, to take a picture of Berkeley East and her much larger new friend. Perhaps he was an insurance agent who thought he could help by documenting the impending disaster. We still never imagined getting the cameras from the microwave, or taking our attention off the steel monster for one second.

With catastrophe avoided, we cruised slowly past the long dock looking for a good space to recover from our ordeal. We were still planning to wait for the storm to end before docking, when we heard a whistle and, that all too familiar, friendly Italian word, Bongiorno! We looked through the downpour and saw the dock master standing in the rain, waving us in. Setting up Berkeley East to dock is complicated enough, but getting fenders and lines ready with lightening in sight is on our list of "never do things." But there was another boat coming in behind us, so it was now or never. And as we trudged around BE's slick deck we wondered what we were doing, but we never pondered taking pictures.

During all of the chaos, all of the potential disasters, all of the questionable decisions, we never once thought to pull out the cell phone, or camera. We also didn't say: "hey let's make a video!" We were simply too busy dealing with the crisis at hand to even entertain the notion of recording memories, let alone turning our attention away from the immediate situation. Too bad, as the entire event would have made for an exciting video that would likely have gone viral if posted on the Internet. We marvel at people who have the ability to stop and record such stressful moments.

Once safely at the dock, with the rain and clouds gone, we did finally think to take a picture, just the one. We're very happy to be back in Italy. Ciao!





Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC