Adventures of Berkeley East

05 June 2022
30 January 2022 | Ft. Lauderdale, FL
16 November 2021
21 October 2021
05 October 2021 | Genoa, Italy
15 September 2021
26 July 2021 | Caprera, Italy
22 July 2021 | Balearic Islands, Spain
01 July 2021
09 August 2020
30 March 2020 | Lake Norman, NC
31 October 2019 | Barcelona, Spain
30 September 2019 | Mallorca, Spain
15 September 2019 | Sardinia, Italy
08 September 2019 | Pantelleria, Italy
31 August 2019 | Favignana, Italy
22 August 2019 | Vulcano, Italy
17 August 2019 | Charlotte, NC and Gaeta, Italy

What to do with eight days in Croatia

19 August 2016 | Dalmatia, Croatia
We were pretty excited when we heard that our niece, Moriah, wanted to visit us on Berkeley East in Croatia. She had sailed with us on BE in the Caribbean, and also aboard a charter boat in Sydney Harbour when she was just three years old. But now she is an adult, in college, and surely has better things to do than vacation with her aunt and uncle. Then again, what smart 20-year-old wouldn't want a holiday on a beautiful yacht in exotic Croatia with awesome, fun, young-at-heart people like us?






We often sail Berkeley East, or motor, 50+ miles a day just to get to a desired port. But when we have guests on board, we like to slow down and show them as much of the country as possible during their stay. So rather than traveling north to explore new territory, we made a cruising plan to return to some of our favorite places in Croatia while Moriah, Tim and Teresa were with us. It is impossible to see everything with only eight days in a country as large as Croatia, so we focused on the Central Dalmatia region.






Since they had all been on BE before, we knew they were seaworthy and up to the challenges of two stops per day in order to cover the necessary miles. Tim and Teresa joined us in Greece just last year (Blog update - "You know you're relaxed when...") so they even remembered the boat and the routine. Luckily, the weather was perfect to move a lot.






Before their arrival in Split, we got Berkeley East ready to accommodate three additional people. After living on BE for nearly 10 years, we have managed to use every inch of her 54 feet, so there was a lot of moving, shifting and hiding of gear. It's not difficult given BE's massive storage capacity, the hard part is remembering where we put things when we need them later. We also did the provisioning, making sure we bought catsup for Moriah, as we remember very clearly that without catsup in Australia, she would not eat, which in turn made her very cranky. But luckily, her eating habits have improved and she enjoys trying new things. She even learned how to debone a fish.





First stop on "Mary and Larry's Excellent Eight-Day Croatian Adventure" was the famous beach, Zlatni rat (Golden Cape) on the island of Brac. The stark white peninsula with a backdrop of dark green pines made for some great drone pictures. The number of people on the beach proves that it is one of the most popular spots in Croatia.







Moriah began her quest for the perfect "jumping off the boat" photo, relieving each of us, one by one, of our photographer status. The anchorage was deep, and exposed to the weather, so we found a spot on Hvar for the night.





In the morning we headed to Klemmet, where we could anchor Berkeley East, hike over the hill and take a water taxi to Hvar Town. In high season (which this was) the harbor at Hvar Town is packed with charter boats, super yachts, day-trippers and water taxis creating constant chaos. The town is equally wild and bursting at the seams with vacationers in cafes and trendy bars. We walked up to the fort to take in the view and fly the drone over land for a change.
















On day three the wind came up and we did what sailors do, we went where the wind would take us, the island of Vis. Otok (island) Vis is the largest, most westerly island in Croatia and has been inhabited for thousands of years. During the second world war it was a main military base and until 1989, foreigners were not allowed to land on Vis, or even navigate within 300 miles of the shore. These restrictions, and the island's location, it seems, have helped Vis retain a more relaxed, less touristy atmosphere. We spent the night on the town dock and explored the two settlements of Vis Town and Kut.








The photo does not do this local favorite dish, black cuttlefish risotto, justice. It was excellent, as was the traditional konoba (restaurant) atmosphere.





While Moriah isn't old enough to drink in the states, the legal drinking age is only 18 in Croatia, so she tried the local wines.




From Vis we were off to Solta, with the drone in hot pursuit. The wind made for an exciting flight and catch, with a few moments when we thought perhaps we would not get the drone back on board.


CLICK PLAY AND THEN EXPAND THE VIDEO OF US SAILING FROM VIS TO SOLTA, CROATIA











A lunch stop for swimming and more flying, then it was into Sesula for the night.




Sesula is a long, narrow inlet with mooring balls that belong to restaurants. As long as you eat at the restaurant, you can use the mooring balls. Unfortunately, one chartered catamaran wasn't with the program, tried to anchor and tie to shore, and ended up wrapping their line around one of the boat's props, which sent them drifting into BE. So after some kayaking, our guests got to experience the joy of fending off another boat, which was good, we didn't want them to think everything is always cocktails and sunsets.







Day five of "Mary and Larry's Excellent Eight-Day Croatian Adventure" began with stop for kayaking and lunch at our own private island.






It was difficult to leave such a beautiful place, but our cruising route called for BE to navigate bridges and power lines, up the river to the Kyrk National Park for a visit to the waterfalls and another drone flight over land, and water. Just as we finished our second flight, a park employee came up requesting our permit. When we told her we didn't have one, she said we could not fly and urged us to go to town, get a permit and come back later. We think she wanted to be in a drone video.










Look closely at the center of the picture to see the drone hovering over the water.







A dinghy ride to our favorite riverside restaurant for scallops and clams, then it was off again, to Tijet for the night.








Day seven was a full day of sailing, and flying, to Dvrenik, where we introduced Moriah to Cava Sangria and chilled one last evening before having to go into the marina.















And the final stop was Trogir, a beautiful little town on the mainland, just six miles from the airport for an early morning departure.









Eight days in Croatia, the Berkeley East tour of some of Mary and Larry's favorite places.
Comments
Vessel Name: Berkeley East
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54
Hailing Port: San Diego, CA
Crew: Larry & Mary Ivins
About: We quit our jobs in July of 2007 and began our adventure, sailing the US east coast in the summers and then spending our winters in the Caribbean. In 2010 we sailed across the Atlantic and will be cruising the Med for the next few years.
Extra:
FAQ Q: Did you go to UC Berkeley?

A: No. The name Berkeley East came from a ferry boat, "the Berkeley", that we met on over 30 years ago in San Diego. The East came as a result of seeing the boat being built in Taiwan. There was 30-foot Chinese symbol on the wall behind her during [...]
Berkeley East's Photos - Caribbean 1500 2008 (Main)
Street art from our 2019 stay in Barcelona
25 Photos
Created 7 November 2019
Photos for blog post
15 Photos
Created 2 August 2016
18 Photos
Created 17 May 2013
Extra pictures for Croatia
12 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
Venice June 2012
20 Photos
Created 12 July 2012
Tuscany trip summer 2011
30 Photos
Created 18 July 2011
Pictures from June 2011 - The Ligurian Coast of Italy
29 Photos
Created 29 June 2011
Wardrick Wells - Exuma Land and Sea Park May 2009
11 Photos
Created 4 May 2009
6 Photos
Created 22 April 2009
20 Photos
Created 21 April 2009
24 Photos
Created 19 April 2009
Pictures from our trip to Los Testigos, Venezuela - March 2009
5 Photos
Created 11 April 2009
4 Photos
Created 28 March 2009
Pics form the 2008 Caribbean 1500
No Photos
Created 26 November 2008
Octopuses Garden � Highborne, Exuma Cay, Bahamas
15 Photos
Created 22 May 2008
4 Photos
Created 22 April 2008
13 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
Chistmas 2007 in St Maarten with other crusiers and Mike and Linda (frends & meighbors from CA)
6 Photos
Created 28 January 2008
5 Photos
Created 23 December 2007
5 Photos
Created 21 November 2007
3 Photos
Created 5 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
7 Photos
Created 28 August 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
In early July 2006 we made a quick from Sydney, Australia to Kaohsiung, Taiwan to check on the construction of our Hylas 54. She was a little behind schedule, but the build quality was excellent.
4 Photos
Created 22 July 2007
4 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
After 28 days aboard Sigrun Bolten from Taiwan, Berkeley East arrived in Port Everglades Florida. Mary and I helped unload her and motored up the river to be hauled and rigged. We where joined by our friends and next door neighbors (from CA), who were in Florida cruising from California to the Caribbean.
5 Photos
Created 17 July 2007

Profile & FAQs

Who: Larry & Mary Ivins
Port: San Diego, CA

Our travels

Itinerary:

July 2019- Return to Gaeta, Italy

August 2019 - Gaeta to Sicily, Tunisia and Sardinia

September 2019 - The Spanish Balearic Islands

October 2019 -Barcelona Spain

November 2019 - Charlotte, NC