Beth and Evans

19 September 2013 | Mills creek
06 August 2013 | smith cove
04 August 2013 | cradle cove
31 July 2013 | Broad cove, Islesboro Island
24 July 2013 | Maple Juice Cove
06 June 2013 | Maple Juice Cove, Maine
02 June 2013 | Onset, cape cod canal
20 May 2013 | Marion
18 May 2013 | Marion
16 May 2013 | Mattapoisett
10 May 2013 | Block ISland
02 May 2013 | Delaware Harbour of Refuge
16 April 2013 | Sassafras River
01 April 2013 | Cypress creek
06 March 2013 | Galesville, MD
20 August 2012 | South River, MD
09 August 2012 | Block Island
06 August 2012 | Shelburne, Nova Scotia
20 July 2012 | Louisburg
18 July 2012 | Lousiburg, Nova Scota

Down the Delaware

02 May 2013 | Delaware Harbour of Refuge
I am anchored at the SW corner mouth of the Delaware bay, in the 'harbor of refuge'. This is formed from three concentric break walls. The outer one is huge and had 6 commercial ships anchored behind it as I sailed past. I am anchored behind the second one, which has perfect sailboat depths (12') and a nice holding sand/mud bottom, and is protected from every direction but with 2miles of fetch to the west. The third break wall forms the ferry terminal, for the car ferry across to Cape May. I have a ketch anchored next to me. the look like ICW snowbirds, with the typical full cockpit enclosure.

This is the first time I have tried this harbor. Cape May is the more normal choice, but we have had steady easterly winds and some easterly swell built up and I did not think it prudent to use the Cape May entrance (which opens right to the east) when this alternative was available. Also while coming down the bay I could lay the harbor of refuge on one tack while I could not lay Cape May. All in all the harbor of refuge is a pretty decent waiting spot. It only real downside is that it has a little current running thru it so sometimes you are laying side to the ways.

Prior to this I Hung out in the Reedy Island anchorage (just around the corner from the end of the C&D canal entrance), waiting for a wind angle to get down the bay ( I could not sail it on SE but could on E). It's not a particularly attractive anchorage as it has a quite strong current running thru it and a fetch to the S and N that can build up waves in the anchorage.

Prior to that I have a nice couple days at the mouth of the Bohemia river, in a pretty spot anchored off what looked like a horse farm. I had hoped to explore up the river a little ways but it seems the mouth has silted up (by 2' vs my chart soundings) and was too shallow for Hawk.

I have been underway this spring for a month now, and was amused to see on the chart I have made 67 miles good (as the crow fly's) from our winter birth. 2miles/days is a very nice relaxed pace! But that makes me right on schedule. I wanted to be in Block island for early may, and it looks like I will have some southerly winds starting early next week to make the sail up there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Hawk