The big delivery

Vessel Name: Roama
Vessel Make/Model: Duncanson 37
Hailing Port: Was Port Stephens, Is Kettering, Will be Brisbane
Crew: Hans, Martin, Ian & Pete
About:
Hans and Martin are brothers and have owned a Triton 24 for a couple of years. They grew up mucking around on sailboats and their oldies did coastal and offshore cruising in the eighties. Ian has owned a number of boats including a beloved Hartley 21 (State champion). [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/bigdelv
Social:
14 October 2011 | Port Arthur
10 October 2011 | Brisbane
30 September 2011
29 September 2011
26 September 2011
24 September 2011
22 September 2011 | Cronalla
20 September 2011
18 September 2011 | Bermagui
18 September 2011 | Eden
15 September 2011 | Near Eden
12 September 2011 | East coast Tassie
11 September 2011 | East coast tassie
04 September 2011 | Brisbane
24 August 2011 | Kettering Tas
Recent Blog Posts
14 October 2011 | Port Arthur

Holed up

Port Arthur

10 October 2011 | Brisbane

Home at last

Home at last

30 September 2011

Night Watches

Night Watches

29 September 2011

Port Macquarie

Port Macquarie 

26 September 2011

Oysters @ Port Stephens

Oysters @ Port Stephens:

24 September 2011

Cronulla to Port Stephens

Cronulla to Port Stephens

Night Watches

30 September 2011
Burney
Night Watches
Now that I've graduated from Cookie to Cook/Deckhand, I had a quick lesson in raising the mainsail - Ian, our resident educator, gave clear and logical instructions which left me confident to do it myself next time. With 3 onboard we elected to do 2 hours on and 4 hour off shifts as we motor sailed north. Conditions were mild with only a light wind heading us and occasionally assisting when it had a bit of westerly in it. Shortly after midday while Ian was on watch, our first mate took on a ghastly shade of grey to his features and it was all downhill for him. Ok with Hans and I alternating shifts and from then on I really felt I was earning my place onboard.
Fortunately, Hans has fine tuned "Otto" the autopilot so he is doing an excellent job holding our course ever northward. With only the occasional tweak to avoid looming rocks or trim the sail, I'm happily left to enjoy the night watches. And what a night of fairy lights it was! Coming up to Nambucca Heads the shoreline burst into a fantasia of colour with fireworks filling the port bow. Then whilst gazing at the white wake phosphorescence sparkled like gems and all the while a distant electrical storm illuminated the clouds on the far horizon.
It's very easy to stay awake with so much to track. Warning beacons and radio towers wink a red eye, lighthouses blink their identifying beam, trawlers lit up like Christmas trees beat a hasty return with violent headlights, and then there are the constellations steadily moving from east to west. Scorpio dips below the shore as Taurus sits high and Venus so bright that it sends a reflection from the horizon to our vessel and the crescent moon smiles as it warns a hillside.
All too soon dawn breaks and we are rewarded with 2 whales between us and the shore, the super white underside of one dazzling in the morning light.
But all it not poetry and lyrical word smithing. Hans is dealing with a blocked toilet. He's a brave man and all on his own with that one... 
Comments

About & Links