Eagle's Big Left Turn

Now that La Paz is our temporary home, for now, travel with us as we explore Baja and other Mexico destinations, learning about the riches that Mexico has to offer with it's history and people.

21 March 2018 | Havelock, South Island, New Zealand
06 January 2018 | La Paz
12 December 2017 | La Paz
23 July 2017 | La Paz Poolside
26 June 2017 | Seattle
02 June 2017 | La Paz
16 March 2017 | La Paz
15 March 2017 | La Paz
14 March 2017 | La Paz
13 March 2017 | La Paz
11 March 2017 | La Paz
07 March 2017 | La Paz
04 March 2017 | La Paz
27 February 2017 | Puerto Lopez Mateos
27 January 2017 | El Sargento on the beach
24 January 2017 | La Ventana
21 January 2017 | La Paz
19 January 2017 | Tlaquepaque, Guadalajara
23 December 2016 | La Paz
24 November 2016 | Seattle

Sad Comments from the editor

02 May 2012 | The Sea of Cortez
Tom
For the two and a half years we have maintained this blog, and as far as we can tell, people have enjoyed it. Many of the local cruisers we have met down here tell us we are crazy, not only for doing the amount of work it requires, but opening our selves, and our personal lives to the general public. We have heard stories of people leaving incredibly nasty, or in some cases nearly threatening comments. Up to this point I guess we have been lucky. That luck has finally run out.

As many of you know we have been with out any internet service for nearly 7 weeks. I have stayed up many a late at night in order to be able to send a blog report over the Ham radio. I have tried my best to send a small picture of what we re doing as we sail from Mexican port to Mexican port, all the while keeping the posting as brief as possible in order to keep the bytes send via the radio small enough to get them sthrough in a short amount of time. This is much like the old days of AOL on phone dial up.....very slow, no pictures, text only. The problem with this is that you only get a small glimpse into what we do, how we do it, and why we do it.

By now I am sure you are wondering what in the hell I am rambling on about. All this is about some comments made about the number of fish we have been catching. I must admit that I was at first pissed...which then turned into a very deep and personal hurt! Some one named “Dan”, who did not leave an e-mail address, or any other contact info went on to make some comments about how the local fisherman make 95-98 % of their income from fishing, and that I must be in some way jeopardizing that livelihood. Dan...they make 100% of their livelihood from fishing...where the hell else are they going to get some income in the small little fishing villages that they live in? What the brevity of my note failed to cover in detail, and I at the time did not feel it was needed, was that we gave a very large number of our fish to the locals to have for their dinner, or for Cipriana, who owns the local restaurant to be used for her meals that she makes her living from. I have kept an excel Spreadsheet on the fish that we have caught since that day we left Seattle, mostly as a way for me to track the kinds of fish, and how it has contributed to our very tight cruising budget. In fact, since we have no income, and no retirements those fisherman make more than we do every month. In the last 30 days, of the fish that we caught, the bulk of those fish we given away to Mexican locals.

In addition, there are a number of cruisers, who have neither the knowledge, nor the equipment to catch the fish we are catching, and so we are very quick to share our catch with them. The following sailboats, Rock and Roll, Estrellita, Willfull Simplicity, Starship, Calypso, Time Piece, Seychelles, Scott Free, and the motor boat Island Grace have all received fish from us. In addition, we have bartered some of our excess tuna with at least one boat for fresh veggies, since we were pretty low and they had extra. In addition, I have spent at least 4 full mornings taking people from these boats out, helping them to learn how to catch their own fish. I have given freely of my time, equipment and knowledge to anyone who has asked for it.

Another comment, from “Sue” was that we are "Pigs" in the Sea of Cortez, and we can go catch fish when ever we want, that frozen fish is not the same as fresh fish. Well, you are right there. There is nothing like fresh fish, in fact, we eat fish at least once a day, almost seven days a week. There is nothing like fresh beef, pork, or chicken too, but I am afraid that sooner of later we all have to put some stuff in the freezer for later when it is not available or convenient to get to. Fishing is just that...fishing. It is not called catching, there are days when you don't catch fish, or the weather will not allow you to go fishing, so we do keep a few extra for the freezer. Keep in mind this is a sail boat...we have a very small freezer. It is not like we are keeping an unlimited number of fish filets in there.“Dan” you imply that you are a cruiser, and a vet of the sea of Cortez, so I am sure you have some idea of the limits of the modern sailboat refrigeration system, that is unless you have a large power boat with all the normal features of a modern home.

Regarding catch and release. Yes Gary, we do release a lot of fish, and the bulk of the fish we do release are the very fish the locals make their living catching, the Trigger fish. If you were to spend any amount of time with the local fisherman, as they are unloading their catch you will see that the triggerfish makes up the nearly half or more of what they keep. In addition, they keep every thing, no matter how small it is. We target the fish that the locals don't, the Jurels, the Barracuda, Spotted Sandbass and the Panama Graysbys. Any fish that is too small is always released, along with a large number of species, both eatable and not, that we don't ever keep.

I am truly sorry to have this run as long as it did, but I was deeply hurt with the comments left on our blog. I have enjoyed the experience of posting a journal of our daily lives.....but with this I am not sure I will continue. I have never shied away from comments, and as long as we have the blog running, I won't. All I ask is that you have the guts to leave an e-mail address so that I can reply to you directly and not have to ramble on like I have tonight.

One of the goals we established prior to taking off on this adventure, was to leave as small a foot print as possible, not only on the Earth in general, but with the Sea of Cortez, and the local communities we visit. We truly hope to insinuate ourselves with the communities where ever possible, in a positive way. Our fishing success has gained us many new friends with in the Mexican fishing communities. We share our fish, as well as our locations that have proven to be good. More than once the locals have followed us out to a particular spot, and fished right along side us.

And finally, after all this, I will include my deepest apologies for any concerns or bad feelings our actions, and the resulting comments might have caused . At no point have we every wasted fish, nor have we ever taken what we have considered more that we should or could reasonably use. When fish have been caught that exceeded our use, the fish kept were always with the knowledge that they would go the the very people who needed them most, those with out. I will continue to post on our blog, with as honest and open comments as possible. I will do my best not to take your comments personal, and try to limit my soap box diatribes to a minimum. “Dan”, feel free to comment as you see fit, but if you have something negative to post, please send it directly to me, via the e-mail included with the blog, and I will be happy to have an open minded, and informative discussion with you. If the negative comments continue I will be forced to eliminate the the blog or simply stop allowing the comments that are sent in to be viewed.

We will now return to our happy go lucky, and very unscheduled blog!
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Make/Model: Freeport Islander
Hailing Port: Des Moines, Washington
Crew: Tom Brown & Jeanne Walker
About:
Tom, an avid speed boater for many years, fell in love with sailing shortly after falling in love with Jeanne. Prior to sailing, if his boats didn't go fast enough, he'd buy a bigger engine. He's readily adjusted to traveling at much slower speeds and enjoying the ride. [...]
Extra: This is the story of the love, tears, sweat and bruises on the path of this adventure. We're glad you're joining us!
Eagle's Photos - Main
a few more random images of the past 10 years
12 Photos
Created 15 July 2015
A random sampling of images of the past 10 years. Enjoy.
49 Photos
Created 14 July 2015
The children of the shelter get a day of play at the beach.
60 Photos
Created 22 July 2014
Selected images of Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay and Ketchikan
60 Photos
Created 23 September 2013
Selected images around the islands
66 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
20 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
14 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
16 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
20 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
6 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
18 Photos
Created 31 December 2011
A short walk from Man 'o War Cove at Magdalena Bay
20 Photos
Created 17 December 2011
There's a reason it's called Cabo Crazy!
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
The sights, angst and scenery of entering a foreign country!
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
out and about in Channel Islands/Oxnard
10 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
A few selections of the passage around Pt Conception, the 'Cape Horn of the Pacific' to Channel Islands Harbor/Oxnard.
5 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Thanksgiving 2011 in paradise
13 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
A collection of photos as we explored the area.
18 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Collection of photos from our time in Avalon Harbor
20 Photos
Created 5 December 2011
Some photos of all the fun things Lefty saw and got to do while we visited San Francisco>
50 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
Our little eaglet, Lefty as he travels around, sharing our adventure with us.
33 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
Some of our favorite pictures as we travel north and south through the area
12 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
With out a doubt, our favorite spot in the Desolation Sound area.
6 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
A beautiful spot, just north of Desolation Sound
17 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
This is a few of our pictures as we tour the area, 2011
5 Photos
Created 22 July 2011
A collection of photos from the epic party held in Des Moines with our all our family and friends celebrating our departure (humm have to think about that)
24 Photos
Created 27 April 2011
A small group of pictures from our time in the CSR boat yard in Des Moines. This is hopefully our last time in the yard before we take off for Canada and then Mexico
14 Photos
Created 20 March 2011
Pictures of our girl, out doing what she does best...Sail!!
8 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
This a collection of pictures of the things we have done to improve the deck of the boat.
6 Photos
Created 16 September 2010
A few pictures of the frame work we built to hold the jerry jugs secure, and the awesome covers that Jeanne has sewn. This system will give us eight (40 gallons) of deisel, 5 gallons of regular gasoline, and five gallons of emergency potable water.
3 Photos
Created 31 May 2010
Our new wind steering equipent, being installed and ready to use!!
6 Photos
Created 31 May 2010
Just some fun pictures of our sails, including our more colorfull spinnakers
4 Photos
Created 25 May 2010
We had an invitation from some very good friends, Dale and Cynthia to spend a long weekend at their beautiful home in Scottsdale Arizona!! We had a blast!! Here is a brief sample of the pictures we took while we were down there
4 Photos
Created 9 February 2010
we added a new AIS tracking system and tied it into the chart plotter. This shows how we installed it.
2 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
The boat came from the factory with just a two sided ice box. With the fact that it was almost 9 square feet we felt that we could add some additional insulation and not compromise the needed space.
7 Photos
Created 18 December 2009
While one of the amazing features of the "B" Plan Freeport is the amount of storage, we have done a few things to increase the space or useability of that area
5 Photos
Created 13 December 2009
In an effort to remove the stress out of our manual windlass (Tom's Back) we have installed a new Lewmar windlass and upgraded the bow roller
15 Photos
Created 7 December 2009
This is a group of pictures that might be of interest to somebody. There are many small projects that we have done, but really dont rate a full album to their own.
21 Photos
Created 1 December 2009
Repair and up grade of the Nav station
6 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Just few of the electronic goodies that we have added to hopefully make our crusing adventures easier
3 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Changing out the old yellow counter tops and faucet for something a little more up to date!!
5 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Some photos of us changing the toe rail from teak to extruded aluminum
2 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Showing off the new solar panels and Blue Sky regulators
6 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
Complete rewire with new AC/DC panels and a battery management system
4 Photos
Created 30 November 2009
The first few days when Eagle was still on the hard in Portland and when she was trucked up to Seattle
3 Photos
Created 29 November 2009
A series of photos showing the repowering of Eagle with her new Vetus engine
8 Photos
Created 29 November 2009

The Crew

Who: Tom Brown & Jeanne Walker
Port: Des Moines, Washington

Where Are We?