bahamasbound

13 August 2016 | Trump Rally
01 August 2016 | Goderich Lighthouse
30 July 2016 | Leaving Killarney
20 July 2016 | Kagawong
18 July 2016
17 July 2016
15 July 2016 | Little Current
13 July 2016
08 July 2016 | Echo Bay
06 July 2016 | Franklin Bay
04 July 2016 | Near Parry Sound
02 July 2016 | Penetanguishene
27 June 2016 | Orillia
24 June 2016 | Bobcaygeon
23 June 2016
20 June 2016 | Peterborough
18 June 2016 | Campbellford
17 June 2016 | Frankford Lock 6

Bahama Landfall

02 January 2013 | South Bimini
Fantastic
Well we finally made it. We had a great time bringing in the New Year with the gang at the Miami Yacht Club. On New Year's Day we filled all our tanks and emptied the holding tank at the Miami Beach Marina then we headed south about 2 miles and anchored at No Name Harbour. Martha was excited to see her first Manatee near the boat. We gave the dingy a good wash then lashed it to the deck for the crossing. We set the alarm for 4:00 am and it was a short hop in the dark out the channel and into the Atlantic. I set the GPS for South Bimini then steered 20 degrees south of that mark to offset for the gulf stream. It worked, after 8 hours we had Bimini in sight. The weather gods were with us we had sun all day and less then 2 foot waves all the way. About half way across the wind shifted to the south east so we rolled out the Genoa and got to sail the rest of the way. The sail increased our speed to 7 knots so we smoked the other boats behind us and were the first boat into Bimini Sands Marina and were tied up at 1:00 pm. 9 hours to cross, not bad at all. We raised the yellow quarantine flag then took a shuttle bus to the airport to check in with customs. As the marina provided us all the paperwork ahead of time it only took 5 minutes and a $150.00 to get our cruising permit for the Bahama's. If we were a foot longer we would have had to pay the $300.00 they charge for boats 35 ft and above. Eagles Wings is 34 1/2 ft so some times it pays to have a smaller boat. The customs agent would only give us a 90 day pass so we will have to get an extension at some time later to stay longer then 3 months. There is no charge for this but it is a bit of a pain. When I returned to the boat Martha raised the Bahamas courtesy flag, thanks Jim. The marina here is great. Well protected, new floating docks, fuel, swimming pool and hot showers. We will go to bed tonight with a smile on our face.
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagles Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 34-2
Hailing Port: Hamilton, Ontario
Crew: Bill and Martha Newman

Who: Bill and Martha Newman
Port: Hamilton, Ontario