bahamasbound

13 August 2016 | Trump Rally
01 August 2016 | Goderich Lighthouse
30 July 2016 | Leaving Killarney
20 July 2016 | Kagawong
18 July 2016
17 July 2016
15 July 2016 | Little Current
13 July 2016
08 July 2016 | Echo Bay
06 July 2016 | Franklin Bay
04 July 2016 | Near Parry Sound
02 July 2016 | Penetanguishene
27 June 2016 | Orillia
24 June 2016 | Bobcaygeon
23 June 2016
20 June 2016 | Peterborough
18 June 2016 | Campbellford
17 June 2016 | Frankford Lock 6

Hachets Bay

02 March 2013 | Eleuthera
Cool and windy
Eleuthera is another large cay with several anchorages to visit. Our first stop was Rock Sound where we spent 3 nights waiting for a cold front to go through. Although the trade winds are from the East, when a cold front comes through the winds clock to the south, then west, then to the north. You do not want to be in a place like Conception or Little San Salvador that only has protection from the East when a cold front comes through. Over the 3 days in Rock Sound we moved around to ensure we had good protection from whatever direction the wind was forecast to come from. Rock Sound has all the amenities a cruiser is looking for. Groceries, Laundry, Hardware Store, Water spicket, Internet and eating establishments. We took advantage of them all while we were here. From here we made our way 3 hours north to Governors Harbour. Here we walked across the island to the Atlantic side, about an hours walk to a beautiful each. This is where Club Med used to have a property for their beach activities. Sadly it is now all abandoned. A fellow from Michigan that we met on our walk bought is a beer at a lovely beachfront tiki bar. Mike rents a house on Eleuthera for 6 weeks every year so it was interesting to meet and talk to a non cruiser for a change and get his perspective of the Bahamas. The next night took us another 3 hours north to Hatchet Bay and the small village of Alice Town. Hatchet Bay is a great Hurricane hole offering protection from strong winds in any direction. There are free mooring balls in the bay but all were taken already so we found a nice spot to anchor. Upon arrival we saw our friends Ron and Lynn from Northern Spirit who we met previously on our trip. Turns out are from Grimsby Ontario. It was nice to reconnect with them and we look forward to spending a few days together while we wait out another cold front. Alice Town has a great dingy dock with a large covered gazebo on it that was just crying out for a cruisers happy hour. The first thing I did once we anchored was to get on the radio and announce, ALL CRUISERS IN HATCHET BAY - HAPPY HOUR AT THE GAZEBO AT 4:30, that's all it takes and we had 20 people show up with their drinks and appetizers to share. Two people even brought guitars and entertained us while we chatted and got to meet new friends and reconnect with old ones.
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagles Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 34-2
Hailing Port: Hamilton, Ontario
Crew: Bill and Martha Newman

Who: Bill and Martha Newman
Port: Hamilton, Ontario