bahamasbound

13 August 2016 | Trump Rally
01 August 2016 | Goderich Lighthouse
30 July 2016 | Leaving Killarney
20 July 2016 | Kagawong
18 July 2016
17 July 2016
15 July 2016 | Little Current
13 July 2016
08 July 2016 | Echo Bay
06 July 2016 | Franklin Bay
04 July 2016 | Near Parry Sound
02 July 2016 | Penetanguishene
27 June 2016 | Orillia
24 June 2016 | Bobcaygeon
23 June 2016
20 June 2016 | Peterborough
18 June 2016 | Campbellford
17 June 2016 | Frankford Lock 6

Jeykll Island

13 April 2013
We took a cab to the Fernandina Beach Publix store to reprovision Eagles Wings. After 3 months in the Bahamas the selection that is available is overwhelming. Martha was like a kid in a candy shop. After loading all the groceries we didn't get underway until just after noon. It was gusting to 30 knots at the marina and a group of power boaters had gathered to watch our departure with anticipation of a show. Martha overheard one of them say lets see how a sailboat handles this. A twin screw power boat had just floundered trying to come in. Lucky for me our prop walk worked to our advantage and we backed out of the slip and channel without incident to the amazement of the onlookers. We put up the main and found we were able to sail at over 7 knots without using the engine. With the strong winds behind us we sailed all the way to Jekyll Island. Who says you can't sail on the ICW. At St. Mary's we went right bye a Nuclear Sub in dry dock. I asked Martha to get the camera but she refused as we were being shadowed by a military police boat. We stayed on the hook Friday evening and got a slip at the local marina on Saturday. There is a lot to see on Jekell and the marina provides free bikes and 1 hour use of a van to their guests. I thought it would be like a mini vacation for us. We rode into the Historic district and viewed all the fabulous cottages that the Goodyears, JP Morgans and the likes built in the late 1920's. We then borrowed the van and went sightseeing to driftwood beach. After the Bahamas it looked very brown but the locals seemed to enjoy it.


The wild horses of Cumberland Island



The grounds of the Goodyear cottage



The Jeykll Island Club Hotel restored to its former glory



They call this a cottage



Driftwood Beach
Comments
Vessel Name: Eagles Wings
Vessel Make/Model: Pearson 34-2
Hailing Port: Hamilton, Ontario
Crew: Bill and Martha Newman

Who: Bill and Martha Newman
Port: Hamilton, Ontario