Photo Albums
08 August 2013
10 Photos
18 December 2011
5 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

San Ferry Ann

18 June 2015
or The waters of Babel-on
So - we're off in Moby looking for a canal boat. Unless you want to drive all the way round through Albania, Kosovo, Serbia, Montenegro and Croatia, this involves taking a ferry from Igoumenitsa to Italy. Having experienced the dubious pleasures of Albanian roads two seasons ago, and the even more dubious pleasures of the Kosovo people many years earlier, we plumped for the ferry to Ancona.

This is not an unalloyed pleasure, as anyone who has sampled what is laughingly referred to as the on-board cuisine will attest. While we were manfully attempting the Adriatic version of bushtucker trials in the restaurant that evening, Liz idly wondered what they do with all the leftovers. We found out at breakfast - they put them in the omelettes. I've never been subjected to a cold chip omelette before. I know that a similar principle is found in the Spanish tortilla, but I'm sure this one had distinctly non-tortilla-ish traces of moussaka, chicken tandoori, battered unidentified marine invertebrate and Bolognese sauce.


Another little niggling worry was the memory of a recent fire on one of the ferries plying this route and the carnage, chaos and catastrophes that ensued. So our interest was piqued when the tannoy announced that there was to be a safety drill. We'd seen one of these before on an Adriatic ferry, but as it mainly consisted of a bunch of bored-looking waiters unconvincingly dressed up in flash-suits and dragging tangled hoses disconsolately behind them, it didn't exactly inspire confidence.

This time, though, the tannoy informed us that we, the passengers, would need to play our part in this exercise to add a dash of cinema verité to the proceedings. We thought that this was an excellent idea, although we suspect that the authorities had forced it on reluctant ferry companies after the aforementioned fire with its subsequent loss of life and embarrassing publicity, not to mention the eye-watering rescue bill.

We were in our cabin when the fun began. The tannoy fired off a series of short beeps followed by a long beep, which reverberated tunefully around the ship. This was a rather restrained and civilized alarm, a bit on the lines of "Er, excuse me. Sorry to bother you, but would you mind awfully just popping into this lifeboat?"

To counter this, the ship's horn was brought into play to pep things up a bit. The long blast from this did not convey a polite request. This was more along the lines of "MOVE YOURSELVES YOU BUNCH OF BRAIN-DEAD DINGO'S KIDNEYS AND GET YOUR GREAT WADDLING FAT ARSES INTO THE LIFEBOATS OR YOU'RE ALL GOING TO BLOODY DIE!" It also induced tinnitus on everyone on board, as well as causing any dental fillings within earshot to drop out. Every dog on the ship (of which there were many) started howling and Einstein's fur stood out like Helena Bonham-Carter on a bad hair day. She yowled like a banshee (Einstein, that is, not Helena Bonham-Carter), then flew across the van and clung onto the cab window like one of those stick-on Garfield's you see on cars driven by people who have a sign on their desk saying "You don't have to be mad to work here, but it helps!!!"

This was followed by reassuringly professional-sounding instructions for Charlie team to make its way to their stations and contact the bridge, after which Foxtrot team were told to meet up with Charlie team and establish communications. What the Hell were teams Alpha, Bravo, Delta and Echo up to? If my miserable hide's in danger I want every bloody member of crew doing their damndest to save it, not sitting around doing their nails or polishing their epaulets.

The tannoy then instructed us to leave our cabins and make our way to the nearest muster station, where we should follow the instructions of the crew.

Here is a little survival tip: To increase your chances on an Adriatic ferry should disaster strike, learn the emergency instructions in Greek. These announcements are made in Greek first, followed by Italian, then English, after which comes French and finally (possibly significantly) German. Albanians, Bulgarians, Romanians and Turks are left to fend for themselves. The upshot of this is that by the time most people work out what's going on and make their way to the muster stations they find that the lifeboats are already full of Greeks and Italians and halfway down to the water. If the Captain is Italian, he will usually be found in the first lifeboat to be lowered, having tripped over his shoelace and inadvertently fallen in it.

We, along with all the other passengers on board, dutifully left our cabins and made our way to the muster stations. Well, I say all, but from the noises coming through the bulkhead from one of the cabins we passed, I suspect that its occupants had something rather more urgent on their minds.

It was all very realistic at the muster station - lots of crew wandering around in hi-vis jackets with 'crew' emblazoned on them, just in case we thought they were politicians on a photo-op visit to the last remaining factory in the UK. Fire hoses snaked across the floor and walkie-talkies squawked unintelligibly. About a hundred of us stood around expectantly, waiting to be shown where our lifejackets were, or to be directed to the lifeboat stations. Nothing happened.

Eventually I asked one of the crew what we should do. This was obviously an unexpected request as he looked confused, stuttered a bit and then beckoned over someone more senior. Crew senior also looked somewhat taken aback but recovered admirably and told us to go into the nearby lounge bar and take a seat, which we all did.

I have to say at this point that I don't believe the other passengers were really entering into the spirit of the exercise. They just weren't giving it their realistic best. There was no shouting, screaming, wringing of hands and wailing; no desperate pleas of 'Please forget about me but for the love of God save my baby'; no fighting and clawing over prostrate hemiplegics to get to the lifeboat. Nothing.

It was easy for us though. We were British and so we behaved as the British would in such a situation. We sat quietly with stiff upper lips and prepared to follow instructions, no matter how inane they may have been. There were two problems with this approach.

Firstly there were no crew about to give instructions. I don't know where they had all got to, but there wasn't a hi-vis jacket or a crisp white uniform flashing gold braid anywhere to be seen. This latter omission was the most puzzling as, until the drill started, the officers were everywhere, strutting about flaunting their gold epaulets and stripes with a knowing swagger. Perhaps they have a standing instruction to go into mufti during a crisis, thus avoiding having to make a decision and getting first dibs at the lifeboats as a bonus.

The standby comms channel was the tannoy and it was here that the second snag appeared. The tannoy itself sounded as it had been thrown out from Kings Cross underground station circa 1964 on the grounds that it was too unintelligible even for London Transport. This difficulty was compounded by the announcers, whose mastery of several languages was admirable, but whose pronunciation was idiosyncratic to say the least. I had more success understanding the Greek than I did the English. As for the Germans, no wonder they looked puzzled. I suspect they were getting thinly veiled subliminal messages questioning the competence and ethical probity of Angela Merkel, the Bundesbank and the IMF.

Human nature then conspired to ensure that even master linguists and professional code-breakers stood little chance of deciphering the announcements. If one was made in Greek, all the Italians, French, Germans and even some Brits talked over it at the top of their voices, leaving the Greeks to make futile attempts to glean anything useful from it. When it switched to Italian, the Greeks joined in the cacophony while the Italians dropped out, waving their arms and slapping their foreheads in frustration as they tried to make sense of the announcements above the din. This continued through all possible combinations and permutations while the Albanians, Bulgarians, Romanians and Turks kept up a low level basso continuo underneath the lot.

Then the captain entered the melee and came on the tannoy. Slowly and clearly, in all five languages, he said "This is the Captain. Abandon Ship, Abandon Ship. All passengers go to muster stations and follow the instructions of the crew, who will direct you to the lifeboats."

Even though you know it's a drill, it's nevertheless a sobering thing to hear.

Well it was to us. No-one else seemed to take a blind bit of notice. I suspect that this was because the whole exercise had by now degenerated into a gigantic game of Chinese whispers:

"He said there's a band on the ship."
"No he didn't. He said Ban Don Smith."
"Who's Don Smith? I thought he said Abba don't shit."
"Don't be daft - of course they do."
"What? - Even Agnetha?"


The cacophony continued, passengers ordered drinks from the bar and the bar staff served them without a second thought. A few, us included, looked round for a member of crew for guidance. There were none to be seen. A slight undercurrent of concern and irritation started to spread through the assembled passengers as it began to slowly sink in that, had this been a real emergency, they would by now have been in deep doo-doo.

After a while, a German near the door decided that the beer he had drunk was taking its toll on his bladder and he went out to find a toilet. A few thought he knew what was going on and followed him. This triggered herd behaviour in most of the other passengers who all shuffled along behind him, squeezing through the door and down the corridor. I don't know how many actually made it into the toilet. It must have given him a shock when he looked over his shoulder from the urinal. Liz and I made 'Baaa' noises to each other. About five minutes later they all wandered back in, trying to look nonchalant.

Eventually, a naïve crew member made the mistake of walking into the bar. He was immediately besieged by passengers demanding to know what they were supposed to do next, and when this bloody drill, which by now had been going on for more than an hour, was going to end.

"It ended twenty minutes ago" he replied, nonplussed.
"Why didn't you bloody tell us then" they shouted back.
"We did. We said it on the PA system three times. We wondered why no-one took any notice."
Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
08 August 2013
10 Photos
18 December 2011
5 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA