Photo Albums
18 August 2012
14 Photos
28 September 2010
7 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Square peg, round hole.

04 August 2016 | or Take a run at it
I suppose, if you want to come over all philosophical about things, all human existence and endeavour involves compromises. Competing demands and different priorities have to be judged and balanced. This is the raison d’être of politics despite the manifest failure of most politicians to demonstrate the wisdom, judgement, will and intellectual honesty necessary to its being satisfactorily carried out. Indeed, they seem to serve primarily as exemplars of the seven deadly sins with particular attention being paid to pride and avarice.

Compromises, however, pervade our lives to such an extent that we are frequently unaware of them. They are so all-pervasive, in fact, that we carry many of them out on a subconscious level. They are brought into sharp, conscious relief, though, in the boating life, as has been exemplified by our recent successful transit of The Dreaded Ham Tunnel.

The Dreaded Ham Tunnel is a 565 metre long hole that a load of knackered French navvies hacked out of the rock by hand in 1880. In doing so, they by-passed a two kilometre loop of the river Meuse, thus saving all of twenty minutes on a journey of five days from Troussey to Liege. Someone obviously thought it was worth it. Personally I’d have just knocked the transport costs of slate up by a couple of groats a ton and stuck with the river.

Of course, the more rock you have to dig out, the more navvies you have to pay for more hours. This starts to add up, even if you are only paying them sixpence a fortnight plus a bowl of watery gruel every other day and all the mouldy spuds they can eat.

They may not have had hydraulic tunnel-digging machinery in the 1800s, but they knew all about minimising costs. They dug the tunnel to the minimum cross sectional area they could get away with, just big enough for the standard barges of the day to squeeze through if everyone on board breathed in. Everyone, that is, except for the newly unemployed navvies who now earned their day’s ration of mouldy spuds by lying on their backs on the top of the barge and walking it through with their feet on the roof of the tunnel that they’d just finished digging. The builders had been too tight to include a tow path.

The tunnel is a tad over six metres wide and has a head clearance of 3.1 metres over a width of five metres. Birvidik is 4.7 metres high at its highest point. This, clearly, poses a wee problem.

This mismatch was due to neither ignorance nor oversight. It was a compromise between living accommodation and ease of manoeuvrability. We were well aware of the height limitations of the French canals, but we did not want to spend our lives aboard doing Quasimodo impersonations in a dark and dingy floating facsimile of a stone-age flint mine. Birvidik is a joy to live aboard. She is spacious, light and airy.

And, as mentioned above, tall.

We, however, in cahoots with the builders of the boat, have a cunning compromise. Birvidik is dismantleable.

Her highest point is the stainless steel arch that supports the navigation lights, horn and assorted antennae. This is cunningly hinged so that it can be dropped into a horizontal position on the aft deck merely by removing two heavy duty bolts and then risking a bilateral hernia. This reduces the height to 3.75 metres. Still too high for The Dreaded Ham Tunnel.

The next step is to remove the bimini. (1) This is a rather more challenging procedure than dropping the arch. It starts off easily enough. Firstly, remove all the boathooks, mops, brooms, squeegees, assorted sunglasses, cloths and bungees that are clipped to it. After that, undoing a zip separates the front half from the back half which then folds down over the davits at the stern, conveniently out of the way. You are now left with a sort of narrow canvas wheelhouse fixed onto the glass windscreens. To remove this, undo the 36 press studs holding the bimini onto the windscreens, hold up the bimini frame with one hand while simultaneously removing a drop-nose pin from each side of the boat and then try to lower the whole caboodle onto the aft deck, preferably without getting any delicate body parts caught in the multitude of hinges in the frame. The leverage here can produce some serious forces. You should see my thumbnail.

This knocks the height down to 3.5 metres.

Still too high.

The windscreens were going to have to go.

These are sheets of 4 mm toughened glass, held in metal frames, 1.2 metres x 0.8 metres. They each weigh about 20 kg and there are five of them, three at the front and one on each side. Luckily, the builders have installed them on hinges. Pulling on pins at the top of the joint disconnects the screens from each other and they can then be folded flat.

This gets the height down to 2.82 metres. Actually, it would have been 2.82 metres if the washing machine and spin dryer hadn’t been on the coachroof and were now the highest point on the boat. They had to be manhandled down onto the aft deck. Now we had a height of 2.82 metres. Jackpot!

Well, it would have been Jackpot if two of the front screens didn’t overhang the coachroof when they were folded down. This left them vulnerable to collision with the arched tunnel ceiling. Replacing them would be very expensive. It was no good – they’d have to come off. Ten nuts and bolts later they were, indeed, off and stacked on the aft deck which now looked like a boat jumble.

This led to intellectual challenge number two. There was a lock at each end of the tunnel. For the borderline Asperger’s amongst you, these locks measure 48 x 6 metres and have a rise of just over 3 metres. All of which means that the sluice gates have to let almost 900 tonnes of water into the confined space of the lock in about five minutes. This can produce a fair amount of turbulence.

The prime objective here is to restrain the boat so as to prevent it being bounced around like the ball in a pinball machine and, in the process, engaging in altercations with the lock walls and the other boats locking through with us. Such activities tend to lead to chunks being gouged out of the immaculate paintwork and sodding great dents being knocked into the 6 mm steel.

This requires laying out several long ropes then scampering up ladders in the lock walls before rushing around the boat adjusting ropes and deploying fenders, whilst simultaneously avoiding falling over the side into the maelstrom issuing from the sluice gates. This is difficult to do when the aft deck looks like an obstacle course set up for a particularly misanthropic episode of It’s a Knockout. In order to preserve life and limb, therefore, there was a further delay while windscreens, washing machines et al were manhandled down the companionway steps and into the interior of the boat. All we had to do then was set up the searchlights as the tunnel is pitchblack - not so much as a brace of moonlighting glowworms to lighten the Stygian depths. After about two hours’ preparation we were off.

All the effort paid off. We breezed through the locks and the tunnel without a hitch, although there were enough bats flitting about in the tunnel to populate a Hammer Horror compilation. We made our way contentedly to Vireux-Wallerand where we tied up and spent around three hours putting the boat back together. Why does it always take so much longer to put things together than it does to take them apart? (2)

Not to worry, only another three tunnels to go this season. Mind you, that covers 300 kilometres over which there are about 300 bridges, the heights of which are shrouded in mystery.

Watch this space.

(1) For the non boaties, a Bimini is a sort of canvas tent on a stainless steel frame. This provides the aft deck and the steering position with some degree of protection from the weather.

(2) Because you have to do it so many times before you get it right, that’s why. Think about it statistically. There are a lot more ways of taking something apart than there are of putting it back together again and it still working. In fact, for the latter there is frequently only one way.


Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
18 August 2012
14 Photos
28 September 2010
7 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA