Photo Albums
16 October 2015
3 Photos
15 May 2011
10 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA

Birvidik

Vessel Name: Birvidik
Vessel Make/Model: Victory 40
Hailing Port: Jersey C.I.
Crew: Bob Newbury
About: Liz Newbury
Extra: 11 years into a 10 year plan, but we get there in the end.
24 December 2023
22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.
14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.
14 August 2023 | Sliding Doors
14 August 2023 | The Game Commences
11 March 2023 | Joseph Heller, eat your heart out.
24 December 2022
26 August 2022 | or 'French Leave'
03 August 2022 | or 'Fings ain't the way they seem'
18 June 2022 | or Desolation Row
22 March 2022 | or "Every Form of Refuge Has its Price
28 October 2021 | and repeat after me - "Help Yourself"
23 September 2021 | Warning - Contains strong language and explicit drug references
23 September 2021 | or Everything's Going to Pot
04 September 2021 | or Out of my league
27 August 2021 | or 'The Whine of the Ancient Mariner
16 August 2021 | Found in marina toilet, torn into squares and nailed to door.
06 August 2021 | or 'The Myth of Fingerprints'
Recent Blog Posts
24 December 2023

The Ghosts of Christmas Past

Those were the days, my friend...

22 November 2023 | Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right

As a fully paid-up Guardianista, I am fully aware that blanket, stereotypic statements along the lines of:

14 August 2023 | A farce in three acts.

Planes, Trains & Automobiles - Preface

OK, I admit it.

Over to The Dark Side

11 October 2015
Over to the Dark Side

So here we are. John and Elaine are playing in the Greek sun on Birvidik, while we are ensconced in a motor boat (imaginatively renamed 'Birvidik II') in the pouring rain* in Amsterdam. So it comes to pass that our five months of living in a motorised shoe box have come to an end and we are once more afloat, albeit this time on a steel Dutch motorcruiser.

There are significant differences between living on a sailing boat at sea and living on board a motor boat in inland waters. The two lifestyles do, however, have a lot in common. By way of a single example, both types of vessel are complicated pieces of kit, combining as they do all the systems, gadgets and appurtenances of home life with those of a waterborne transport. There are endless opportunities for things to go wrong.

And believe me, they do.

Those who frequent boating circles will be conversant with the term 'shake-down cruise'. This is a sort of pre-cruise cruise, during which all the little potential niggles, hassles, irritations and disasters lurking in the boat are teased and tempted into showing themselves so that they can be identified and given a good seeing-to before the cruise proper begins. We really should have had one of those. However, we didn't. Instead, our journey from Lathum, where we bought the boat, to our winter berth in Amsterdam had to serve as the shake-down.

Another thing that all boats have in common is the presence of a significant number of idiosyncrasies, quirks and foibles peculiar to the particular boat in question. As we soon found out, Birdie II certainly has her fair share of those.

I suspect that our moving onto the boat was as much of a novel experience to the boat as it was to us. She had previously been used as a holiday home, taken out for a couple of weeks at a time on a few occasions per year. This was underlined by the fact that she had clocked up less than a thousand engine hours in the 21 years she had been in commission. So I imagine that having two people and a cat living on board full time must have come as a bit of a shock to the poor thing. Her systems have probably had more use in the two months we have been living aboard than they had in the previous ten years.

The first quirk that strikes you is that she has no gas on board at all. Nasty, dangerous, explosive stuff, gas. All cooking is done on 220 volt AC. The galley would have served for a small restaurant, with a microwave, an oven, a kettle, a toaster, and a four burner ceramic hob. In addition there's a bloody great immersion heater in the engine bay. The question is, of course, where does said 220v AC come from? In marinas it's easy - you just plug in to the shore power.

Well, actually, it's not quite that easy. In many stops, including quite a few marinas, the shore power, if available at all, would be stretched to supply enough current to keep the Duracell bunny in action. Four amp maximum is not uncommon. This will support just under 900 watts. That's not enough for one of the four rings on the cooker. Stick the toaster on as well and you're likely to take out the local substation and plunge the adjacent hospital into darkness mid liver transplant.

The builders installed two cunning devices to get round this problem. The first was an inverter to transform the 24v dc output from the domestic batteries to 220v ac. This would be fine if you wanted to charge your phone or power up a Duracell bunny. Try running a couple of rings off it though and your batteries will make alarming buzzing noises as they try push out the several hundred amps required to do this from 24v. If you're very lucky the batteries will run completely flat in seconds and refuse to accept any charge ever again. If you're not, and the batteries have enough capacity, the battery leads will glow bright red and the terminals will melt into pretty, silvery blobs just before the whole caboodle bursts into flames and incinerates your home, your possessions, the only copy of your recently completed groundbreaking new novel and the cat.

Perhaps aware of this possibility, the cunning Cloggies had also installed a sodding great five and a half kilowatt diesel generator. This lurked in the engine bay and glowered out of the hidey-hole into which it appeared to have been shoe-horned with the assistance of a couple of powerful hydraulic rams. There was about a fingers' thickness of clearance on all sides.

So it was that we set off on our maiden voyage, first stop Arnhem then on to Wageningen where we moored up, plugged rapidly into shore power and toddled off to have a look around. On our return we were sitting in the saloon when there was an ominous sounding 'click' noise from the electrics cupboard and all the power went off, plunging us into darkness. It had tripped on both the boat and the pontoon supply. Tripping it back in had no effect - it immediately tripped out again.

At this point I didn't know if the fault was with us or the pontoon supply. "I know" I thought, "I'll start up the generator. If everything works on that we'll know the fault's in the shore supply." The genny roared into life but everything still tripped out, thus exonerating the shore supply. While I was pondering the implications of this, the genny coughed, spluttered, hiccoughed a couple of times and then died, stubbornly ignoring all my subsequent efforts to coax it into starting again.

Sitting in the encircling gloom we began to question the wisdom of an all-electric setup. I put on my headlight and began crawling into cupboards trying to make sense of the wiring system.

This is where I missed Birvidik I. More accurately, I missed the intimate knowledge I had of Birvidik I. Over the 21 years we had her I had explored, rebuilt, modified and recorded every aspect of her. I knew where every bolt, screw, pump, wire, pipe, handle, lever & switch was. On Birdie II I was pushed to find the fuse box. No schematics or explanatory diagrams with this baby.

After about half an hour impersonating a Welsh miner version of Gollum I found the ac trip switches. Fumbling around with these eventually led to the identification of the faulty circuit, namely the one to the galley. This operated the microwave, hob and extractor fan. I isolated this and things improved slightly. We may not have been able to cook but we could, at least, see. We decided to limp on to Amsterdam and get things looked at there. A few days subsisting on lettuce and cold baked beans would do wonders for our expanding waistlines.

Upon arrival in Amsterdam, it took a few days to get the electrician and the mechanic organised, but come they did. In both cases they furnished an excellent example of the relative merits of theoretical knowledge and practical experience. Given enough time and amphetamines I could probably have worked out the causes of both problems. The professionals, though, have seen hundreds of cases like these. They know with 95% certainty what the problem is likely to be. The electrician looked at the set up and immediately said that it was an earth leakage, probably in the hob. I'd have gone for the microwave. He was right.

Practical experience 1 - Theoretical knowledge 0.

As for the generator, both the mechanic and I started from the same assumption, namely fuel starvation. Checks on fuel lines, fuel filters and stop cocks all came up clear. At this point I'd have had to have had a sit down and a long think. Not so the mechanic. "In that case" he said, "There's probably a stuck stop switch somewhere". A quick ferret around found exactly that. A single screw had not been tightened up properly and had worked loose with the vibration. The stop switch contacts had then worked loose and switched off the genny. Simple as that.

Practical experience 2 - Theoretical knowledge 0.

I had been getting a bit worried. The generator was integral to the whole set up for living aboard. If that had failed it would have had to have been replaced and the cost of that would run into thousands. As it was, solving both problems cost us about 500 quid, including a new hob. A very expensive new induction hob. As specified by Liz.

We decided to celebrate with a shower. Don't say we don't know how to have a good time. It was at this point that Liz discovered that the shower tray wasn't pumping out. Now I used to share a flat with a plumber and he taught me everything he knew. Plumbing, he argued, boiled down to two salient points:

1. Shit flows downhill
2. Pay day's Friday.

Armed with these insights I cleared the outlet pipe which ran from the shower tray to the pump reservoir chamber. What came out looked like a particularly gruesome teratoma. Then I got Liz to run the shower so that I could check that all was working OK. It was just as well I did that.

When she pulled the plug on the shower tray, some water did, indeed, flow into the reservoir to be pumped out. A considerable amount, however, poured into the bilge and flowed into the deep bilge below the prop shaft. This could only be accessed through two slots either side of the prop shaft, each just about wide enough to get a pencil in.

I traced the problem to the plughole fitting in the shower tray. This had either worked loose or had not been tightened up properly in the first place. Water ran past the sides and down the outside of the pipe rather than the inside. Judging by the amount of water I pumped out of the deep bilge, this had been going on for some considerable time, probably since before we bought the boat.

I'm going to check and tighten every nut, bolt, screw, fitting and hose clip on this boat; especially those on seacocks and engine cooling pipes.

And introduce the previous owner to the concept of a maintenance schedule.

Footnote

* This is a complete fabrication and has been inserted solely for effect, in order to try to brighten up an otherwise drab narrative. The weather here has been almost without exception bright and sunny.

Comments
Current Position
Birvidik's Photos - Birvidik (Main)
15 Photos
Created 31 January 2017
3 Photos
Created 16 October 2015
The move from seagoing to rivers and canals
29 Photos
Created 11 October 2015
10 Photos
Created 6 January 2015
18 Photos
Created 25 September 2014
14 Photos
Created 17 February 2014
21 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
4 Photos
Created 2 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 8 August 2013
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
4 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
11 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
12 Photos
Created 26 July 2013
and wintering in Lefkas
19 Photos
Created 6 February 2013
14 Photos
Created 18 August 2012
19 Photos
Created 26 June 2012
5 Photos
Created 18 January 2012
14 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
5 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
9 Photos
Created 18 December 2011
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
9 Photos
Created 10 October 2011
10 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
23 Photos
Created 21 June 2011
10 Photos
Created 15 May 2011
44 Photos
Created 21 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 29 March 2011
24 Photos
Created 26 March 2011
12 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
13 Photos
Created 23 December 2010
7 Photos
Created 28 September 2010
10 Photos
Created 21 September 2010
15 Photos
Created 8 August 2010
9 Photos
Created 6 July 2010
12 Photos
Created 28 June 2010
9 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
21 Photos
Created 4 May 2010
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
7 Photos
Created 7 February 2010
13 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 December 2009
15 Photos
Created 8 September 2009
11 Photos
Created 20 August 2009
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
10 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
6 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
12 Photos
Created 19 July 2009
15 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 8 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
7 Photos
Created 2 June 2009
10 Photos
Created 1 June 2009
8 Photos
Created 23 May 2009
27 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
24 Photos
Created 20 May 2009
9 Photos
Created 10 February 2009
15 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
22 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
8 Photos
Created 25 December 2008
15 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 13 August 2008
13 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
5 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 August 2008
9 Photos
Created 4 July 2008
12 Photos
Created 6 June 2008
10 Photos
Created 17 May 2008
14 Photos
Created 14 May 2008
17 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
7 Photos
Created 20 April 2008
22 Photos
Created 5 March 2008
6 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
10 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
8 Photos
Created 4 March 2008
7 Photos
Created 30 December 2007
16 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
8 Photos
Created 11 December 2007
11 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 11 December 2007
24 Photos
Created 11 November 2007
7 Photos
Created 12 September 2007
12 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
3 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
9 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 11 September 2007
4 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
12 Photos
Created 3 August 2007
13 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
7 Photos
Created 25 July 2007
8 Photos | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 17 July 2007
3 Photos
Created 17 July 2007
21 Photos
Created 7 July 2007
22 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
16 Photos
Created 16 June 2007
4 Photos
Created 28 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
24 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
The trip up the river Guardiana between Spain & Portugal
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
A selection of the myriad photographs taken over the 6 months in Lagos
37 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
Dia de Cidade festivities & torrential rains
21 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
4 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
3 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
12 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
8 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
16 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
18 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
2 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
6 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
11 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
7 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
22 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 22 May 2007
9 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
10 Photos
Created 22 May 2007
13 Photos
Created 22 May 2007

About & Links

Photo Albums
16 October 2015
3 Photos
15 May 2011
10 Photos
SailBlogs Friends
inclusionWinds v2.0
AURA