Black Dog II

Vessel Name: Black Dog II
Vessel Make/Model: CT 41 pilothouse ketch
Hailing Port: Seattle
Crew: Roger and Lorraine Atkins
About: We each have over 40 years of sailing experience on the West Coast.
Extra: We left Everett, Washington in August 2003 for Mexico. We spent six years cruising the coast of Mexico and Central America before making a Panama Canal transit in December of 2009.
16 July 2011 | Bocas del Toro
20 December 2010 | Shelter Bay
18 November 2010 | Fort Sherman, Colon Panama
28 September 2010
Recent Blog Posts
16 July 2011 | Bocas del Toro

We love Panama!

We left the boat at the Bocas del Toro yacht club in May and flew back to Seattle via Fort Lauderdale. We spent most of April sanding and varnishing the bright work which will need two more coats of varnish when we return in November. We will also have to repaint the cabin tops.

20 December 2010 | Shelter Bay

Still here

We are still in Shelter Bay working on the boat. Our shipment arrived and we have installed the new GPS/chartplotter. I am anxious to use it. We also "remarried" the Tacktic wind indicator on the mast with the display unit in the cockpit. It is blowing out there! We are waiting for the weather window so that we can move on to the San Blas islands. Panama has experienced record rain this season. December is the start of the dry season and the north trade winds. The trades seem to be returning so hopefully we will only have the short rain squall.

18 November 2010 | Fort Sherman, Colon Panama

Shelter Bay

Black Dog II has been in the water for almost four weeks and we are still working on electrical problems. We have new batteries and the starter motor has been repaired. We are waiting for a shipment from Miami that contains my new refrigerator and a generator. In addition, a new battery charger will [...]

28 September 2010

Future plans

We are planning to return to Shelter Bay Marina in Panama on October 22. We hope to splash the boat within a day or two. We have given Black Dog II a paint job and had a few minor repairs made while we spent the summer in Seattle.

Future plans

28 September 2010
Lorraine and Roger
We are planning to return to Shelter Bay Marina in Panama on October 22. We hope to splash the boat within a day or two. We have given Black Dog II a paint job and had a few minor repairs made while we spent the summer in Seattle.

Our plans include visiting the San Blas islands and possibly cruising to Cartagena if we have a good weather window. We also hope to visit Bocas del Toro which is in the other direction!

We spent five months in Panama beginning in December of 2009. The country is beautiful and we would like to see more of it.
Comments

About & Links