Yorkshireman at Sea

In Europe after crossing the Pond

28 June 2016 | La Linea, Spain
28 June 2015 | Chipiona, Andalusia
25 June 2015 | Vila Real de Santo Antonio
24 June 2015 | Faro, Portugal
23 June 2015 | Portimao
22 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
21 June 2015 | Sagres, Portugal
20 June 2015 | Lagos, Portugal
19 June 2015 | Cabo de Sao Vicente
18 June 2015 | Atlantic Ocean
14 June 2015 | Ste Maria
11 June 2015 | Ponta Delgada

Caldeira'd out and the pineapple secret

11 June 2015 | Ponta Delgada
Andrew
I am not really one for bus tours, but figured that I had to go on at least one sheep herding exercise on this trip. Baaaaaa!

It was thus that the Blea Tarn crew were once again running to catch up with the other crews to take the island tour and having to comply with the "lets make this 15 minutes back to the bus" comments. Ugh. I am also thinking that the only thing more ridiculous than a bus tour is reading a blog about it, but here goes!

The first stop to try and extract money from us was a pineapple nursery (20 minutes to the bus). We got a free minuscule sample of a pineapple liquor, that tasted like pineapple (surprise!) and the opportunity to buy all manner of stuff to do with pineapples. We bought a real pineapple for an exorbitant 5 Euros. The only interesting part was a quick tour of the greenhouses where they grow the fruit, and learning that to induce fruiting, they actually heat up by smoking the plants. Apparently this defense mechanism creates a red colour in the leaves ( I asked what it was, they did not know, but I assume a tannin like product) and the plant fruits a week later. Hence the need to grow them in greenhouses, they seal them and set fire to dry pineapple leaves inside.

Next stop was the anthill at the viewing point of the local Caldeira, called Sete Cidades or 7 sisters (15 minutes please). What a zoo, 100s of people taking selfies and naturally us too. Getting back on the bus, our buddies from Unconditional admitted to being completely Caldeira'd out after tours on Flores, Corvo, Faial and Terceira before this one on Sao Miguel. Have to say, the one bus tour for me was a lot of fun, and the Caldeira was stunning in the sunshine, something they had not always had, and there is nothing less interesting than a Caldeira completely shrouded by cloud and fog, they confirmed!

Next braking point (no time to get off bus, folks) was another small Caldeira. Now I am Caldeira'd out.

Final stop, small cafe (25 minutes here!) ( a relation of the guide maybe?) for a coffee and cakes. Definitely " time for a coffee" time, but a massive scrum down to a tiny counter and one loo as the two buses pulled up. Nice pay day for the cafe, mediocre coffee and back on the bus needing a pee.

A long and twisting road back, and with relief back to Ponta Delgada without losing the coffee and cakes.

Still, a nice way to see a beautiful island, and my last bus tour until I forget how much I dislike bus tours again!
Comments
Vessel Name: Blea Tarn
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 423
Hailing Port: Charleston, SC and eventually Brixham, England
Blea Tarn's Photos - Main
2 Sub-Albums
Created 30 January 2015
4 Photos
Created 3 January 2015
9 Photos
Created 7 December 2014