Blue Bie

27 November 2015 | Norfolk Island
21 May 2015 | Nananu-I-Ra
01 February 2015 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
25 May 2014 | Bikini Atoll
30 April 2014 | Rongerik, Marshall Islands
21 April 2014 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
07 April 2014 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
20 March 2014 | Maloelap, Marshall Islands
24 February 2014 | Utirik, Marshall Islands
30 January 2014 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
24 January 2014 | Majuro, Marshall Islands
31 December 2013 | Majuro, Marshall Islands

Norfolk Island

27 November 2015 | Norfolk Island
Philip
NAUTICAL (for those interested ...)
Norfolk Island is very small, some 3 by 2 nautical miles. There is no protected all-weather anchorage, but there's enough anchorages spread around the island to find protection, some of them without dinghy-landing though. The two main anchorages and piers are Kingston Bay in the south and Cascade Bay in the north. The local lift out their small power boats with the permanent cranes; hoisting them by hitching the cable to the truck and reversing away. At low tide (and ideal conditions) both piers are calm enough to leave the dinghy. In calm weather, one can also pull the dinghy up the ramp at Kingston Bay. But certainly one has to pay attention to the weather and accept that one might not be able to go on land every day.

Custom and Immigration have been very nice and are standing by on VHF 28. Norfolk is an Australian territory, but is likely to be fully integrated next summer. I got a free online Australian visa, but Immigration said that I wouldn't have needed one as crew. Other than the visa there are no Immigration or Customs charges. This might change next year. They didn't come on board for clearance. They provided the exit clearance (with a date of our choosing) on checking in, allowing immediate departure in bad weather. Norfolk Telecom has WiFi Hotspots on the Island. At AUD 25 per GB not cheap, but conveniently providing internet on board with hotspots at Kingston and Cascade Bay.

BRIEF HISTORY
Norfolk Island has first been by the Polynesians from 900-1500 AD, then twice as penal colony (1788-1814, 1825-1855) and finally by the mutineers of the Bounty. The latter settled first in Pitcairn, but moved to Norfolk Island in 1856 when Pitcairn got too small, with a few families moving back to Pitcairn to establish the current settlement there within a year.

Today, Norfolk Island has some 2000 inhabitants, half of whom are descendants of the Bounty mutineers, a lovely little town (Burnt Pine) and receives some 500 mostly elderly tourists a week. The stunning Norfolk Pine is endemic to Norfolk Island and well known all over the world as Christmas tree. It's as ubiquitous as the free-ranging cows and chicken; only the town is protected with cow grids and fences. The climate is subtropical and I managed not to wear long trousers while there:) Town is on a 100mhigh plateau and a half hour walk from the main anchorages, but you'd be hard pressed to ignore all the invitations for a ride. It is a small and very welcoming community!

ATTRACTIONS
Nature is beautiful with many seabirds nesting in the cliffs (tropic birds, boobies, terns, shearwater), the Norfolk Pine and the fee ranging animals. While not much remains of the Polynesian settlement and first penal colony, the buildings of the second penal settlement are well preserved and made into an attractive world heritage site and museum. Town is nice, with plenty cafés, galleries and boutiques, well stocked with imported products and excellent local beef, fruits and vegetables, but not cheap.

I had a lovely week on Norfolk Island. It's an enchanted and very interesting place and protected enough to wait out incline weather on the way to/from New Zealand. Of course, there's always more to be seen, but a week seemed plenty to take in all.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Bie
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 43
Hailing Port: Basel, Switzerland
Crew: Philip Duss
About: Sailing around the world - getting slower as I'm going. Two years in the Atlantic, seven years in the South Pacific and counting:) Sailing, kite surfing, exploring and meeting people. Even with all the time in the world at my hands, I have more ideas than time
Blue Bie's Photos - Main
11 Photos
Created 29 November 2015
10 Photos
Created 21 May 2015
pictures from Rongerik, Rongerlap, and Bikini atolls.
6 Photos
Created 30 May 2014
Pictures
30 Photos
Created 3 April 2014
We sailed in another kind of vessel in Switzerland. 4000 meters, oxygen no extra charge. A first for both of us. A really really great experience.
6 Photos
Created 31 January 2014
A walk through Blue Bie
12 Photos
Created 31 December 2013