BLUE PEARL UNPLUGGED

Living The Life We Imagined

24 August 2012 | West Quoddy Head, Maine
20 August 2012 | Offshore Cross Island-Bay Of Fundy
31 July 2012 | Billings Diesel, Stonington, Maine
26 July 2012 | Pulpit Harbor, Maine
23 July 2012 | Matapoisett, Massachusetts
19 July 2012 | Block Island, Rhode Island
16 July 2012 | Oxford, Maryland
04 May 2010 | Eleuthera, Bahamas
25 April 2010 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
30 March 2010 | Nevis
28 February 2010 | Petit Tabac - Tobago Cays
20 January 2010 | Union Island, St. Vincent
12 January 2010 | Isle de Les Saintes, Guadaloupe
17 November 2009 | ST. Georges Bermuda
13 May 2009 | Stocking Island, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Anguilla
03 April 2009 | Cherry Hill, NJ
18 March 2009 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
07 March 2009 | LePhareBleu Marina, Grenada
27 February 2009 | Mt. Hartman Bay, Grenada

Among the Reefs

28 February 2010 | Petit Tabac - Tobago Cays
Linda/unusually light winds Northeast
An island of palm trees and reefs, maybe 1 mile long by ΒΌ mile with room among the reefs for only a boat or two in 10 feet of water. That is Petit Tabac, a destination to be respected and approached by experienced reef pilots only and visited briefly, at low tide, unless you like rollers yanking at the anchor. But with consideration for the above, there is not a more remote, picturesque tropical island in all of St. Vincent and The Grenadines and maybe not the West Indies.

A short sail from there, the Tobago Cays await, with diving, turtles and water the color of Blue Curacao. It has been a month now that we have been in Grenada and back and forth to St. Vincent with our friends Dan and Debby Hoyt from New Jersey and now Hans and Dani Himmelman from Nova Scotia.

Grenada has become a second home, specifically Le Phare Bleu Marina in Little Calivigny, our base for island tours and waterfall adventures. As we now work our way through the islands of St. Vincent, it feels good to be underway again, saying goodbye to Carlos, our favorite "boat boy", Pleasure, the Chatham Bay character and all the other hard working locals out here. This will be our last visit for the season as we head north to Antigua, The Virgin Islands, Bahamas and home to the Chesapeake.

This has been a season of standard fare, if Caribbean cruising can be considered standard, perfect tropical weather with various equipment issues; refrigeration, water maker, generator, fresh water pumps, even the dinghy engine. These issues are apparently designed to keep Steve busy and sometimes even befuddled. Remarkably, he manages to fix or jury rig each and every breakdown with help from our visiting friends toting luggage packed with parts.

It is eerily quiet in the Caribbean, the wind has been down for weeks, to under 10 knots at times, and the cruisers and charterers are fewer than last year, which was also a down year. Megayacht captains are complaining about no charter business, we see them idle in Antigua or just out for a day sail with the crew. It is somewhat amazing that the recession has idled the "idle rich" along with the rest of us or maybe the mind shift from conspicuous consumption to quiet enjoyment has finally filtered up to the super wealthy.

With Satellite TV onboard, we are so much more in touch, from the frightening natural disasters happening around the world, the Super Bowl, watched with Brits (as we could find no Americans with which to have a Super Bowl party), the unbelievable snowy winter in the U.S. and the Winter Olympics, while floating in 85 degree water! Lucky for us, the Canadian Hockey teams won as we watched the games with Hans and Dani Himmelman from Nova Scotia, and everyone knows how those Canadians are about ice hockey!

Next week, we start the journey north with a stopover in Antigua to fly back for a week, then on to the Virgins, Bahamas and home. We will leave the Caribbean with no particular plans for next season so the big question remains, "Where will we go from here?"
Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Pearl
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54RS
Hailing Port: Lake Placid, NY
Crew: Steve & Linda Stelmaszyk
About: Steve is a licensed captain and longtime sailor enjoying the adventure of a lifetime aboard his fifth boat, Blue Pearl. Linda, also a licensed captain and experienced sailor, is happy to leave the security of home for unknown ports to come
Extra: We have two children, Bryan,25 and Juli, 23 and maintain our "land base" in Lake Placid, New York

Who: Steve & Linda Stelmaszyk
Port: Lake Placid, NY