BLUE PEARL UNPLUGGED

Living The Life We Imagined

24 August 2012 | West Quoddy Head, Maine
20 August 2012 | Offshore Cross Island-Bay Of Fundy
31 July 2012 | Billings Diesel, Stonington, Maine
26 July 2012 | Pulpit Harbor, Maine
23 July 2012 | Matapoisett, Massachusetts
19 July 2012 | Block Island, Rhode Island
16 July 2012 | Oxford, Maryland
04 May 2010 | Eleuthera, Bahamas
25 April 2010 | Clarencetown, Long Island, Bahamas
30 March 2010 | Nevis
28 February 2010 | Petit Tabac - Tobago Cays
20 January 2010 | Union Island, St. Vincent
12 January 2010 | Isle de Les Saintes, Guadaloupe
17 November 2009 | ST. Georges Bermuda
13 May 2009 | Stocking Island, Bahamas
20 April 2009 | Anguilla
03 April 2009 | Cherry Hill, NJ
18 March 2009 | Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
07 March 2009 | LePhareBleu Marina, Grenada
27 February 2009 | Mt. Hartman Bay, Grenada

Spring Break-Grenada

07 March 2009 | LePhareBleu Marina, Grenada
Linda/Perfect as usual
What a great time!
Our daughter, Juli, and her friend, Lauren Winter, arrived here a week ago Friday to spend their Spring Break with us, escaping thankfully from cold and damp Boston. As usual, the weather here was perfect, making for a great week of shopping, swimming, sunning and touring. Oh and how could I forget, sailing.
We spent the first day shopping at the market in St. George which has been in existence for decades. I remember it from my first trip here in 1984! Colorful is a word that probably does not do it justice. We bought lots of fruit and vegetables, some that we had never seen before, all from interesting, helpful, knowledgeable vendors. I guess Farmers Markets are the same everywhere.

That night we went to BANANAS, a college scene bar that caters to the Medical College here. I went with the girls for protection and was far out of my comfort zone. I held up quite well until about 11 PM when they took my bar stool away...seems they do that to make more room at the bar. At that point, the place was really filling up, the music was getting intolerable, so I went to hang out with the bouncers until Juli and Lauren were ready to leave. I managed to strike up a conversation with a wayward local boy standing OUTSIDE the entrance, not allowed in, whom I advised to start acting responsibly, stop drinking and smoking weed or expect to wake up at 40 years old still nowhere. Always the Mom, I guess.

Sunday night Lauren's parents arrived and we set sail on Monday to explore the South Coast here. Only sailing a few hours each day, we tacked out and back in different harbors, each with a different feel. A Jump Up at Hog Island, snorkeling at Clarks Court and swimming at Old Harbor, with a great island tour in between where we saw a nutmeg factory, a rum factory, monkeys, a waterfall and every type of plant you could imagine. Our tour guide, Cutty, also known as "Masta Plan", knew so much about everything. He really made the tour.

As expected, the local boys were enamored with the girls and Juli collected a few unwanted phone numbers. I think the people feel that any outside connection holds possibilities. After all, there are 300,000 Grenadians, but only 100,000 live here. With the devastation of Hurricane Ivan in 2004 that destroyed so much of the housing and wiped out the spice industry followed by a hurricane the next year and now the downturn in the tourist industry, earning a living is a struggle. Most of the big resort developments are idle, not even providing construction jobs. It seems the only healthy industry here is the Medical School, the second biggest employer on the island.

Mi Hacienda, a mountaintop home owned by Merle, a Grenadian interior designer and antique dealer, was the incredible setting for our last night's dinner on Friday. We had a family style tasting of several local foods with a view of Grand Anse twinkling in the moonlight far below. Saturday, our crew of Winters and Juli left for the States.

We had a great time and the only thing I could ask for is to have my beautiful daughter here longer...I miss her already.
Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Pearl
Vessel Make/Model: Hylas 54RS
Hailing Port: Lake Placid, NY
Crew: Steve & Linda Stelmaszyk
About: Steve is a licensed captain and longtime sailor enjoying the adventure of a lifetime aboard his fifth boat, Blue Pearl. Linda, also a licensed captain and experienced sailor, is happy to leave the security of home for unknown ports to come
Extra: We have two children, Bryan,25 and Juli, 23 and maintain our "land base" in Lake Placid, New York

Who: Steve & Linda Stelmaszyk
Port: Lake Placid, NY