Blue Snail Travel

Vessel Name: BLUE SNAIL
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 CC
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Frank & Linda
About:
Frank is from Vancouver, B.C. and Linda is from Washington. They left their home in Maryland in late 2010, to start cruising. They traveled South through the ICW to Florida and on to Mexico before transiting the Panama Canal. [...]
Extra: Frank and Linda enjoy traveling with their shipmate Moshe, a domestic short hair cat.
04 May 2016
20 April 2016
21 October 2015
22 June 2015
04 November 2014
04 September 2014 | San Carlos
20 June 2014
06 May 2014
17 March 2014
27 December 2013
05 November 2013
01 October 2013
13 September 2013
16 August 2013
10 July 2013 | 27 56.5
Recent Blog Posts
04 May 2016

Blue snail 2 location

Hello everyone,

21 October 2015

Blue snail II October 2015

It is a out time for a new blog post! I am blaming the delay on the computer. The truth!

22 June 2015

Los Alamos

June 2015

02 April 2015

San Carlos Blue Snail Two

April 2015

04 November 2014

San Carlos Nov 2014

Blue Snail is still in San Carlos. In September, we were fortunate to have the boat here as the remnants of Hurricane Odile passed by, about 75 miles away. This was the storm that was devastating to Cabo San Lucas and La Paz on the Baja side of Mexico. Winds here in San Carlos were about 35-45 for [...]

Santa Rosalia to San Carlos

10 July 2013 | 27 56.5
Blue Snail Blog, 7/8/2013 Stay in Santa Rosalia to San Carlos

We arrived in Santa Rosalia on 6/15 and stayed for almost 2 weeks. While there we took 2 day- trips on the bus, one to Mulege to the south and one to San Ignacio in the mountains to the north. Both trips were very nice and we enjoyed going to the old missions and just walking around the traditional old towns. Also, we loved the bus rides through the country and especially the one through the mountains. I held my breath a few times on the winding mountain roads. Good road, but no guardrail.

While in Santa Rosalia, we had a broken weld repaired on the alternator bracket. Frank plans to have an entirely new bracket made when we are in San Carlos. After that, we purchased a sheet of plywood and Frank made a fold away inside sewing table for the projects to come. This was something he had wanted to do for years. While he worked with the wood I attempted to keep the boat clean. Not an easy task as the city was rationing water and we had use of it for a just a few hours. Also, the city has re-opened the copper mines outside of town, so that dust and the regular dirt made for quite a cleaning challenge.

We picked a good weather window and departed Santa Rosalia on June 27 in the late afternoon and arrived in San Carlos by 9 am the next morning. The "crossing" was uneventful with mostly light winds and we motor sailed the entire way. Saw lots of lightning and dark clouds south of us but nothing crossed our path. Frank did slow us down at one point for a particularly ugly looking cell he saw on the radar. On the way in to San Carlos we were amazed again at how beautiful and dramatic the mountains are. We were quite tired on arrival, so just covered the sails and other basics and took a nap. We really enjoyed San Carlos last year and it feels good to be back. We intend this stay to be about 4 months.

Cat report: Moshe is doing just fine. We did however, encounter a stray Bengal kitten at the Santa Rosalia bus station and she almost became the newest crew-member on Snail. Just kidding...sort of.
Comments

About & Links