Blue Snail Travel

Vessel Name: BLUE SNAIL
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 CC
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Frank & Linda
About:
Frank is from Vancouver, B.C. and Linda is from Washington. They left their home in Maryland in late 2010, to start cruising. They traveled South through the ICW to Florida and on to Mexico before transiting the Panama Canal. [...]
Extra: Frank and Linda enjoy traveling with their shipmate Moshe, a domestic short hair cat.
04 May 2016
20 April 2016
21 October 2015
22 June 2015
04 November 2014
04 September 2014 | San Carlos
20 June 2014
06 May 2014
17 March 2014
27 December 2013
05 November 2013
01 October 2013
13 September 2013
16 August 2013
10 July 2013 | 27 56.5
Recent Blog Posts
04 May 2016

Blue snail 2 location

Hello everyone,

21 October 2015

Blue snail II October 2015

It is a out time for a new blog post! I am blaming the delay on the computer. The truth!

22 June 2015

Los Alamos

June 2015

02 April 2015

San Carlos Blue Snail Two

April 2015

04 November 2014

San Carlos Nov 2014

Blue Snail is still in San Carlos. In September, we were fortunate to have the boat here as the remnants of Hurricane Odile passed by, about 75 miles away. This was the storm that was devastating to Cabo San Lucas and La Paz on the Baja side of Mexico. Winds here in San Carlos were about 35-45 for [...]

Bahia Tenecatita & Barra DeNavidad

09 February 2014
We finally departed La Cruz after a full month in the marina. During that time, Frank repaired the hydraulic steering, replaced the too small prop with our old reliable one and worked on a myriad of other small things. As usual, we enjoyed our stay in La Cruz and made our trip to the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta, and a couple of visits to Philo’s to listen to his Shuffle Band. Kind of corny, but us old folks like it! As mentioned before, Banderas Bay is just loaded with whales and we saw them on several occasions from the marina breakwater. What a treat to just go for a walk and see whales!

Departed La Cruz on 1/16 and traveled to Tenacatita, about 125 miles south. Had about 15 knots of wind around Cabo Corrientes and it was a little sloppy but nothing too bad. Had some of the full moon left, so the overnight was nice. Arrived in Tenacatita in the morning and found about a dozen boats anchored. The bay is just incredibly beautiful and big so plenty of room for lots of boats. We stayed in the bay for almost 2 weeks and when we left there were 30 boats anchored! Traveled the estuary by dinghy again, and saw lots of birds but no crocodile like we saw last year. We walked the nice long beach almost daily and checked the small turtle preserve near the hotel. There is a group that collects the turtle eggs and puts them in a pen until hatched and then releases them at night when they have a chance to survive. Really nice to know this is done. No big hatch while we were there, but did see one baby waiting to be released. On one dinghy ride we saw a Coatimondi walking around the shoreline. At first I thought it was a large cat but Frank knew what it was. Anyway, nice to see one outside of the zoo. During our stay, also went with a group of other boaters in a hired panga to La Manzanilla for their annual art festival. The beautiful, hilly little town is located opposite Tenacatita but in the same bay. Some of the art was displayed inside of some of the truly gorgeous homes so they were a treat to see.


Around 1/26, we traveled the 16 or so miles south to Barra de Navidad and anchored in the lagoon. On the way in and before we entered the harbor, we had a large whale come up very near the boat and then pass very close in front of us. Always a little startling to see them so close up and with no notice. After we anchored and were settled, saw some good friends anchored nearby in the lagoon and it was great to see them and catch up on their news. Also, met some new people anchored next to us with a cat that is 20 years old!

While in Barra, we traveled twice by bus to the nearby town of Malaque for shopping. (20 minutes away). The small anchoring area can be rough at times for rolling and a dinghy landing can sometimes be tricky , so hence the bus. Also traveled by bus to Santiago and Manzanillo (1 hour away) to see the towns and do some marine store shopping and other shopping. Again, Frank had been through the area almost 20 years ago, so to him it really has changed.

As of today, we plan to stay in Barra for a few more days and may take another bus trip to Santiago/Manzanillo. The great marine store in Santiago warrants another visit! Until the end of February, we are just making up our plans day by day, but will probably stop in Tenacatita one more time before heading north to La Cruz around the 1st of March.
Comments

About & Links