Blue Snail Travel

Vessel Name: BLUE SNAIL
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 CC
Hailing Port: Vancouver
Crew: Frank & Linda
About:
Frank is from Vancouver, B.C. and Linda is from Washington. They left their home in Maryland in late 2010, to start cruising. They traveled South through the ICW to Florida and on to Mexico before transiting the Panama Canal. [...]
Extra: Frank and Linda enjoy traveling with their shipmate Moshe, a domestic short hair cat.
04 May 2016
20 April 2016
21 October 2015
22 June 2015
04 November 2014
04 September 2014 | San Carlos
20 June 2014
06 May 2014
17 March 2014
27 December 2013
05 November 2013
01 October 2013
13 September 2013
16 August 2013
10 July 2013 | 27 56.5
Recent Blog Posts
04 May 2016

Blue snail 2 location

Hello everyone,

21 October 2015

Blue snail II October 2015

It is a out time for a new blog post! I am blaming the delay on the computer. The truth!

22 June 2015

Los Alamos

June 2015

02 April 2015

San Carlos Blue Snail Two

April 2015

04 November 2014

San Carlos Nov 2014

Blue Snail is still in San Carlos. In September, we were fortunate to have the boat here as the remnants of Hurricane Odile passed by, about 75 miles away. This was the storm that was devastating to Cabo San Lucas and La Paz on the Baja side of Mexico. Winds here in San Carlos were about 35-45 for [...]

LaPaz to Santa Rosalia

20 June 2014
We actually departed La Paz on the targeted date of 5/10, which put our stay at exactly one month. We headed first to Espiritu Santo the island closest to La Paz and stayed 2 nights. This beautiful anchorage seems to be the first stop for all starting a cruise from La Paz. Did have a strong Coromuel (strong local wind), that blew hard all of the first night, but had no problems. Moved on to Ensenada Grande and stayed a few more days. Again, a really nice place with clear water and white sand beaches. We discovered a hiking trail that travels to the other side of the island. Frank and friends made the entire hike, while I did about half and quit when the big boulder hopping started. Later that afternoon, we responded to a call for help on the radio from a couple of boaters who had taken the hike but didn't bring enough water and got into trouble. Lucky Frank went to the rescue and got to do the hike twice that day. All turned out well and everyone was fine, if just a little embarrassed at making such a common mistake. Smart of them to take their handheld VHF radio with them.
Made our usual stop at Isla San Francisco and again hiked to the top of the ridge. This time we could see the mainland side at almost 78 miles away. Also, stopped in Nopolo which is a small fishing village spread between 3 indents in the coastline and very isolated with no road at all and only accessible by boat. Not an easy place to go, as it is a fair weather anchorage only and parts of it are steep to for anchoring. We picked a great spot to anchor and had a great afternoon and night with no problems. One of the local families caught some fish for us and brought them to the boat. This very nice family all introduced themselves and were curious about us. I gave them a large bag of clothing and other things I had been saving for this kind of opportunity. Great experience all around.
In our travels at sea, this time, we saw a leaping and spinning Black Tipped Shark. At first we thought it was a sailfish, but because it put on such a show, we were able to identify it. Spectacular to see. We passed quite a few dolphins but one particular group had some mothers and babies with them. We stood on the bow and watched them as they watched us. The babies swam no more than a few inches from their mothers.
We had some bees again this year but not as bad as last year. We were both stung and not sure if Moshe was stung...she didn't say. I got my sting when I picked up just a bee body part in the galley...got me right on the end of the thumb...super ouch! Frank was attacked on the thigh.i
Made our usual stops in Agua Verde and San Juanico before arriving in Bahia Concepcion in June. Anchored in El Burro Cove and stayed about a week. Gary, who is famous for his weather reports on the SSB Sonrisa net, has a house on the beach. The place just bristles with antennas. He does great and very detailed weather reports every morning and then afterwards, plays Amazing Grace on loudspeakers across the anchorage. Sounds very strange, but it's quite nice in such an out-of-the-way place. Once again Concepcion was quite hot, as it was last year. The water seemed a little cooler though, so the swimming was refreshing. Sleeping was sometimes difficult when the wind died at night and made it too warm to get comfortable. We did encounter several other cruisers that we know and enjoyed a couple of meals on-shore with them. Never know who is going to show up where.
After the week in concepcion, we had had enough of the heat and moved north to Sweep Pea Cove, a trip of about 30 miles. Spent 2 days in Sweet Pea and went on to Santa Rosalia , arriving on June 7th. We plan to stay about 3 weeks. We were lucky as we once again were able to occupy the end tie slip at Marina Santa Rosalia. This very strange marina is still falling apart but some attempts have been made recently to patch up the docks. This year we can actually walk on the dock without falling over...not much of an exaggeration. We do love the old backwardness of it all and it fits with the entire town.

For our other news.....Blue Snail is for sale! This will be a really big change for us. After considering many factors we decided to sell the boat in Mexico. San Carlos Yacht Sales will be handling the sale and they are expecting us to arrive by the end of June. We plan to stay with the boat until a sale is final. Our future involves "land cruising" in a custom van. More later on that.
Comments

About & Links