Around the World with Blue Stocking

21 October 2012
15 October 2012
12 October 2012
27 September 2012 | Woods Hole, Massachusetts
25 September 2012 | Sandown, NH
13 September 2012
27 August 2012
25 August 2012
23 August 2012
20 August 2012 | Eastern Ohio
17 August 2012
05 August 2012
12 July 2012 | Manila, Utah to Steamboat
09 July 2012 | Manila, Utah
07 July 2012 | Kemmerer, WY

Change in Plans

26 June 2012 | Lincoln, MT
I decided the pace of the supported tour was too fast for me--no time to smell the roses. The Tour had a volunteer or two too many, so the leader had no objection to my splitting off to ride unsupported.

I'm heading to Helena, MT tomorrow--50 miles, which is more the pace I feel comfortable with than the 85 to 105 we've been doing--and I think that will be a good place to regroup. I will have to go over my gear and make sure I am set up as well as possible for unsupported riding. I will carry more than I have been the last week on the bike, but not as much as a fully loaded bike tourer. I'm planning to use warmshowers.com to find places to stay along the way as I did in my practice ride in Massachusetts. My current plan is to follow the same basic route as the Tour, which by the way will be laid out for me with fresh yellow arrows on the pavement.

I might end up getting back to Cape Cod later than planned but I think the experience will be more what I am after. I wasn't learning anything about bicycle touring by riding with roadies on a supported tour. There was also way too much food available and I actually think I was gaining weight. One of my goals for this summer is to slim down as far as reasonably possible and see what effect that has on my general health. Having to buy and carry my own food will no doubt have a limiting effect on the caloric intake!

Right now I've got a miserable cough from a cold--lots of trouble sleeping last night--but colds pass.

Comments
Vessel Name: Blue Stocking
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby 42 center cockpit ketch
Hailing Port: Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA
Crew: Paul
Extra:
Follow along with me as I carry out, carry out a multi-year cruise around the world on my Whitby 42 ketch, Blue Stocking. Look at the earliest posts, dated before October, 06, for a lot more information about the crewmembers, and the planning and preparation. This weblog is designed primarily to [...]

Follow Our Circumnavigation

Who: Paul
Port: Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA