Goin' South

Cruising the eastern seaboard from Maine to the Bahamas.

08 April 2013
06 April 2013
01 April 2013
01 April 2013
28 March 2013
28 March 2013
24 February 2013
21 February 2013
12 February 2013
21 January 2013
13 January 2013
12 January 2013
01 January 2013
08 December 2012
26 November 2012
26 November 2012
14 November 2012

Summer Hiatus

05 July 2012
Nancy
Our friends have reminded us that our blog shows us lingering in the Alligator-Pungo Canal back in mid-May, despite the fact that we are comfortably ensconced at home in Vermont. An update is in order.

The day after our close encounter with the barge was busy on the waterway, filled with skiers of every sort, some experienced enough to do somersaults. The Coast Guard stopped us in Currituck Sound for a safety inspection in an area so narrow that we couldn’t actually pull over. Instead they tied up to our boat, and Bob continued underway at the wheel while I did the show and tell. They were very polite and we received no citations. We ended the day at Waterside Marina in Norfolk, VA and were lucky to find a slip. There was a wine festival going on next door, an arts festival just a ferry ride away in Portsmouth, and a gathering on the dock of Great Loopers. Lots of activity and we did our best to fit it all in, as well as catch up with friends Mary and Mark last seen in Florida and window shop in the d’arte arcade of galleries en route to the MacArthur Mall to make the obligatory stop at the Apple store whether we needed anything or not.

Our trip north up the Chesapeake Bay against the current was broken by a pleasant stop to meet up with Forever 39 at their favorite anchorage, which they begged us not to mention by name. So this lovely spot shall remain nameless, but we attest that it a lovely protected place, so nice that we stayed for several days to do boat chores.

The next day we tried to continue north but the seas were too rough, so we went to Reedville on the Great Wicomico River. Yes, the fish plant was running but we managed to anchor upwind of it. Bob had a chance to determine he is still happy with the soft shell crab sandwiches at the Cockrell Creek Crab Restaurant there. The wind seemed to die down in the afternoon so we headed out, winced as the 3-ft waves threw salt all over our previously clean boat, and stopped for the night in a quiet spot off Smith Creek in the Potomac River.

We left very early, hoping for an easy ride, but we bounced a lot against an ebb tide, 4-ft waves and north winds gusting to 25 knots. We arrived safely in Solomons, to rest briefly and continue a flurry of boat chores and cleaning before leaving the boat there for the summer.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Make/Model: Kadey-Krogen 39 Trawler
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, Maryland
Crew: Bob and Nancy Anderson
About:
Former sailors Bob and Nancy moved to the comfort of trawler life 4 years ago. They are recently retired after cruising the Maine coast for 9 summers. They headed south to the Bahamas three winters ago and returned to Chesapeake Bay. [...]
Extra: Spent many years sailing the Chesapeake Bay and on Lake Champlain.
Puffin's Photos - Main
17 Photos
Created 6 March 2012
Just a few of the birds along the Saint Lucie - Caloosahatchee Waterway
17 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
A few shots of Cumberland Island
14 Photos
Created 22 January 2012
Miscellaneous photos of Brunswick and the marina there
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
Travels around Sonoma County
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
Pictures from the Air Show at Patuxent River N.A.S.
28 Photos
Created 6 September 2011
Pictures around Georgetown
15 Photos
Created 20 February 2011
A collection of older albums from this trip
13 Sub-Albums
Created 18 December 2010
A small collection of some of the fabulous birds along the waterway.
35 Photos
Created 18 December 2010
Mostly Bob, Nancy and friends doing different things at different places
33 Photos
Created 4 November 2010