Goin' South

Cruising the eastern seaboard from Maine to the Bahamas.

08 April 2013
06 April 2013
01 April 2013
01 April 2013
28 March 2013
28 March 2013
24 February 2013
21 February 2013
12 February 2013
21 January 2013
13 January 2013
12 January 2013
01 January 2013
08 December 2012
26 November 2012
26 November 2012
14 November 2012

Charleston And Points North

14 April 2013
Bob
Puffin's crew enjoyed a gorgeous sunrise at breakfast today while anchored in a piece of water a few hundred yards south of the Figure Eight swing bridge. It's a no-name cove that's also a "no-go" anchorage in anything but the calmest weather. It's too narrow to swing 360 degrees without running aground at low water. Last night, however, was totally calm so the tidal ebb and flow kept us positioned within the channel's narrow confines, though we did awaken at 3:30 AM for a quick position check as low tide approached.

What really stood out in cruising this stretch of the North Carolina ICW near Wrightsville, were the unusually large number of loons. We saw dozens, without even trying. Dare we say the loons easily outnumbered the cormorants? Saw a lot of least terns as well, at least that's what they looked like. (sorry).

We last posted en route to Charleston while off the coast of Georgia, cruising overnight in company with Alan and Gerri aboard Civil Twilight. Good weather and good luck combined to make it an uneventful trip. Swapping watches with Nancy through the night, I went to sleep about 5:00 AM. I awoke several hours later as Puffin was gliding through Charleston Harbor under Nancy's pilotage.

We remained in Charleston Harbor for a couple of nights, meeting up with the crew from The Good Life, Mark and Mary, and new friends Mike and Betty from our home town area. They were getting to know the brand new Benneteau they took delivery of in Charleston. We also received a dubious "award" from Alan and Gerri, in the form of a T-shirt proclaiming to all, that the wearer hadn't always been "old geezer", at least in his own mind.

Reluctantly Puffin departed Charleston, our favorite city, and started up the waterway anchoring the first evening in the Santee River. The next evening found us at Cricket Cove Marina and then we moved on to last evening's dubious anchorage at Middle Sound.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Make/Model: Kadey-Krogen 39 Trawler
Hailing Port: Solomons Island, Maryland
Crew: Bob and Nancy Anderson
About:
Former sailors Bob and Nancy moved to the comfort of trawler life 4 years ago. They are recently retired after cruising the Maine coast for 9 summers. They headed south to the Bahamas three winters ago and returned to Chesapeake Bay. [...]
Extra: Spent many years sailing the Chesapeake Bay and on Lake Champlain.
Puffin's Photos - Main
17 Photos
Created 6 March 2012
Just a few of the birds along the Saint Lucie - Caloosahatchee Waterway
17 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
A few shots of Cumberland Island
14 Photos
Created 22 January 2012
Miscellaneous photos of Brunswick and the marina there
20 Photos
Created 15 January 2012
Travels around Sonoma County
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2011
Pictures from the Air Show at Patuxent River N.A.S.
28 Photos
Created 6 September 2011
Pictures around Georgetown
15 Photos
Created 20 February 2011
A collection of older albums from this trip
13 Sub-Albums
Created 18 December 2010
A small collection of some of the fabulous birds along the waterway.
35 Photos
Created 18 December 2010
Mostly Bob, Nancy and friends doing different things at different places
33 Photos
Created 4 November 2010