Aboard and around Altair

24 March 2013 | Brunswick
19 March 2013 | Fernandina Marina
18 March 2013 | Titusville to Fernandina
15 March 2013 | Merritt Island
14 March 2013 | Telemar Bay Marina, Merritt Island
10 March 2013 | Stuart
08 March 2013 | Stuart
07 March 2013 | Stuart
06 March 2013 | Off Shore
05 March 2013 | Loggerhead Hollywood
02 March 2013 | Loggerhead Marina Hallandale
01 March 2013 | Parked in Paradise
27 February 2013 | Hollywood, Loggerhead Marina
26 February 2013 | Hollywood
25 February 2013 | Hollywood
24 February 2013 | Lake Worth
23 February 2013 | Lake Worth
22 February 2013 | Lantana
22 February 2013 | ICW
22 February 2013 | Palm Beach Gardens

Motor / Sailing

06 March 2013 | Off Shore
Pepper/Beautiful Weather
Tuesday, March 5th
We checked out to leave the marina and found we had over stayed our welcome. We had to pay an additional $80. It seems you can only stay 1 week on a reciprocal agreement, good to know if you are staying at Loggerhead Marinas. We had three bridges to go through to get to Port Everglades which is the Ft. Lauderdale shipping basin. While next to a huge cargo ship, the kind that bring all the stuff from China to Wal Mart, some grinding noise comes up from the engine. Bob puts Altair in neutral and the noise is not as loud but down below, it is definitely still there. After turning off the engine and opening the compartment, there is a burning smell. Bob calls Boat US for a tow in order to get us to some marina for repairs. We are drifting next to the cargo ship which is ready to disembark; I didn't think to take a picture. We are in 40 feet of water and plan to drift to the side of the ICW to put down anchor (hopefully it won't be too shallow). It will be an hour for the tow. Bob thinks it may have been the compressor that runs the fridge (engine driven) that may have burned up. Yep, sure enough, we cut off the compressor and the engine is fine. We knew we needed a new refrigerator system anyway, so all is well and we're off again.

We motor / sail offshore but can always see land. The water is deep, beautiful blue, and it's perfect weather. Saw groups of flying fish. They look like flocks of white birds. We anchor off Peanut Island, just inside the Lake Worth Inlet around 6 PM and get the dinghy in the water to take Jambo ashore. After dinner, a game of cribbage, and checking the lines, we are done for the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Altair
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau M405
Hailing Port: Hilton Head, SC
Crew: Bob and Jennifer aka Captn & Pepper
About: Pepper is a retired middle school teacher and the Captn is a professional trouble maker. Also onboard is Jambo our Portugese Water Dog.
Extra: Altair is a Beneteau out of the Moorings fleet that we bought in Martinique and sailed to SC about ten years ago. We have been sailing the east coast since then and now begin the early phase of retirement headed South.

Captn & Pepper

Who: Bob and Jennifer aka Captn & Pepper
Port: Hilton Head, SC