Midlife Crisis Cure

19 August 2008
29 February 2008 | La Cruz
24 February 2008 | Barra de Navidad
01 February 2008 | Manzanillo
30 January 2008 | From Manzanillo
30 January 2008 | From Manzanillo
25 January 2008 | Barra de Navidad
25 January 2008 | Barra de Navidad
25 January 2008 | From Barra
25 January 2008 | Barra de Navidad
24 January 2008
01 January 2008
28 December 2007 | Mazatlan
28 December 2007
27 December 2007
27 December 2007 | From Mazatlan
22 December 2007
19 December 2007
19 December 2007

Adios Mazatlan

28 December 2007
Tomorrow Pat and I leave for Isla Isabella, a bird sanctuary then on to the historic Spanish town of San Blas.

Mazatlan has been very good to us except that we keep hitting the ATM for cash. There is a Walmart, a Sams Club, Gigante, Ley, old market, Cafe Calypso. La Palapa, bus fare, Pulmonia fare, the Vernados baseball team, tamales made fresh, the old Mercado and on and on. You would think I was visiting one the most popular tourist destinations in all of Mexico!

The only bummer, which is really a blessing in disguise, has been the unsesonably cold weather. 72 degrees in the day and 52 at night, horror of horros. The people from the cold climates are wondering what all the fuss is about. Me, it is just like the weather at home this time of year without the Santa Ana Winds to heat things up occasionally.

There are "interesting people" who decide to pull up stake and go cruising. This place only has one or two. Most people today are very mainstream, not running from the police or exwife (spouse, for you PC folks). In fact, even though the people are very nice there is no one to spice it up. Pat sometimes gets some looks for his long hair but utimately they find he is just another mainstreamer with long hair. Last year someone complained that the security guard was whistling Christmas Carol and they made him stop. Every one is in a tizzy because propane is 15 pesos a liter delivered and 8 pesos if you haul your tank miles away to the propane farm. A farm for propane? Grows on a vine or a tree? Most of these people have plenty of money and they focus on the strangest issues. Hey, maybe that is the new "interesting character" not the old weird single hander who has no money and talks to himself.

I must end here sadly. Most of the people we met have been very gracious and helpful. The Marina staff, Alvira and Marta, are just wonderful. I am glad to know them.

Off to San Blas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bold Lady
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 38
Hailing Port: Long Beach, Ca
Extra: Singlehanded sailor heading to Mexico Gold Coast then up to Sea for Spring and Summer

Mike Perez

Port: Long Beach, Ca