Bonaparte's Pacific Pursuits

Sailing with the Island Cruising Association through Tonga and Fiji

06 July 2015
22 May 2015 | Mystic Sands Lodge, Utungake
12 May 2015 | Pangai
10 May 2015
07 May 2015
06 May 2015
05 May 2015
01 May 2015 | Cape Brett
01 May 2015
01 May 2015 | Opua
30 April 2015
05 April 2015
05 March 2015
05 February 2015
05 February 2015 | Opua
31 December 1969 | Uoleva Island

Last of Original Crew Departing Vava'u

22 May 2015 | Mystic Sands Lodge, Utungake
Barb
Seeing a gap in the posts I thought it fitting to write the last post from the original crew. We departed Ha'apai on Monday the 18th after a rolly night at the anchorage near Matafonoa resort accompanied by Duetto. A lovely downwind motor sail all the way through to Eueiki Resort(Treasure Is) which took most of the day.
Hew, Paul and Ploy met us there after a long ( 2 hour) and adventurous transfer from the airport. this involved a blown out tye on the van, picking up a staff member and travel right around an island the long way due to the lowlevel of the tide( according to one local - the other said he got lost??). All of us had a lovely dinner that night and Hew and I stayed at Eueiki while Bonaparte went on too Neiafa to clear with the local port authorities and to drop off washing.
Eueiki is a beautiful island with only a few fales. All solar powered and the rooms could do with a couple of reading lights above the beds. The food was marvellous and too much really. Snorkelling around the reef and a walk over the mountain. There is plenty of room to grow a great garden and there has been in the past and plans for the future. The reef does need some regeneration time as the local vilages also use it to collect fish and octopus and break the coral in the process. No resort boat was available as it was getting fixed at the tme. 3 great days spent there.
On Thursday Pete with crew of Di, Paul; and Ploy picked us up for a snorkel on the way up to Neifa again. We stopped at the /swallow cave which was a great snorkel hundreds and hundreds of small fish on the edge of a great drop off - one for the must do list- photos in Album.
Hew and I were dropped at Mystic Sands resort for our last two nights - lovely room and grounds. I had a snorkel round as they are trying to keep the area as a reserve and the locals have agreed and there are a few pieces of coral and fish to look at - more at a childrens level - but great start. Lovely staff. We had dinner in town at a great restaurant called the Bella Vista. Great food as owner Itallian and good cook and his wife Tongan and access to all the good food. We were joined by the three owners of Duetto and their wives who had just arrived.
Friday we walked to the peak - great look out. Checked out the coffee and internet at Tropicana which were both good and then had an early dinner at Mango Cafe - the yachting and fishing club - then retired to the resort for a last drink.
Will really miss the yacht, the sailing , the company and the beautiful islands of Vava'u. Hard to look forward to the cold, rain, winds and mud at home. I hope Pete and Di will keep up the blog of their travels for all of us to read.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bonaparte
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Hailing Port: Auckland
Crew: Peter Parkin, Dianne Bridgeman, Barb Thomson, Michelle Khan, Tony Stevenson, Alistair Moore

Who: Peter Parkin, Dianne Bridgeman, Barb Thomson, Michelle Khan, Tony Stevenson, Alistair Moore
Port: Auckland