05/24/2012, Off OR Coast (somewhere btwn Portland & Salem...ish)
John checked in this morning, both he and Dad are in good spirits. Headed almost due south (somewhere between 180-190' S at check in), current SOG: 7mph
John says yesterday afternoon, a seal showed up alongside the Gallivant --nearly 100 miles offshore! It swam up, rolled around, "waved" its flipper at them, swam alongside for a bit, and then disappeared. Odd it would be so far offshore.
And sometime in the middle of the night, they were smacked by a microburst (a small, intense squall); John says it got a little hairy for bit! He shut off all the electronics and went by compass reading only until they got through it to protect against possible lighting-strike damage. They got through just fine, but are having a little trouble with the alternator John had rebuilt prior to sailing. Put that on the list of 'stuff to do' in San Fran when they arrive, eh?
(PS: Thanks, Dr. D for the Transderm SCOP script)
05/23/2012, Off the WA Coast
Via SAT phone: "Much better seas further out from the coast; yesterday it was confused seas and changing winds, making it pretty uncomfortable, but we got through it. Doing good now. Low rolling seas. We named the windvane "Oscar" < I don't know why, it just fit > and he's pulling his weight as one of the crew. If anyone asks, we're on a S/SW course which we'll probably hold until morning, then head more S/SE. COG is 190-degrees, if anyone asks. The Gallivant sails really well in 25-knot winds out here. Less than that and the going is a little slow, but we're moving along and doing well."
05/23/2012, Off the WA Coast
Via SAT phone: "We're about 80 miles off the coast, angling out; speed averaging 5-5½ knots. Feeling much better today!"
(Footnote: bit of seasickness for both Dad and John yesterday, but that was expected; now that they can keep the Gatorade/Amino Vital down, sounds like they're much improved)
Heard from John this morning:
"I have one bar (on my Iphone); too difficult to do anything but sail; we are fine!"
The Barometer has been dropping and the weather reflects it. Rain, rain RAIN!
Last night the Weathernet software was working again but the email was pooping out. I got a nice 5 day forecast and thought for a second that all things resolved themselves. But no. I tried the email and nada.
So I've been on the phone with Jenni, then a guy from Ocens (the software maker) who had pretty good English but couldn't help me, then to Marty Kirk at Rogers Marine in Portland. We are getting to be good buddies lately with all this going on. I did do the un install correct. There are just some things going on that even have the ppl that know going hhhmmmm......
We'll keep ya posted...
GOOD NEWS!! John resolved the software issue (well, at least we hope so!) and he and Dad put Neah Bay in the rearview, metaphorically speaking. Passed Cape Flattery about 1530, low rolling swells (2-3') and a wind on their nose, which makes for more creative sailing by the man at the helm. Dad "alluded" to the use of engine power, but seeing as how they have 7 days of ocean between them and San Francisco, John decided to make judicious use of the wind and conserve the fuel for a potential emergency. To quote: "Ya can't just set the throttle and sit on your ass on a sailboat if you're at the helm." True that!
John's notes for the day:
Out of PA @ 0500. Full of fuel and on our way! We got the windvane finally done at 9pm last night.
So eerie seeing freighters on the screen coming at you when you cant see them with your eyes. Then they "appear" out of the fog and mist right where they should be.
Made it to neah bay in a little over 8 hours. About 1:15 pm. Got told to leave one dock but found another to spend the night at. The sealions here are H U G E !
We will head out into the blue after we get out weather forcasting issues resolved.
John kindly sent me few pics of he and his dad BOTH wearing their pfds, BOTH tethered into the lifelines (such a good boy!). Check to photo gallery for pics of them, their travels today, and those ENORMOUS sea lions.