Bourdons Gallivant

29 July 2012
25 June 2012 | Honolulu
23 June 2012 | Honolulu, Hawaii
21 June 2012 | Honolulu!!!
21 June 2012
21 June 2012 | Off Oahu!!
20 June 2012
20 June 2012
19 June 2012
18 June 2012
16 June 2012
16 June 2012
15 June 2012
15 June 2012 | 25 01.139'N:-145.021843 (1130)
14 June 2012
14 June 2012 | (from Honolulu)
14 June 2012

Leg 2 - Day 18 (0800) and embellishments

19 June 2012
Capt John
Sunday night was a rough on for Gallivant,captain and crew.Stormy and harsh Justin and I were tossed about like rag dolls in our bunks. There was no sleep. The swells and waves made life hard on Oscar as well. Twice we got up to get on tack again after a wave forced a jibe and another time when the double block pulley just gave up and broke. I got our the screw gun only to have a dead battery. Hand tools did the job just fine, SO glad I got 2 spares of these. Seems to be a particular weak link. I will modify when in Honolulu. EVERYTHING is covered with that never drying saltwater film and we are beat tired. Cooking for the last 2 days has been out of the question so food bars, protein shakes and Gaterade has been on the menu. Monday has ,,,,,well......not been fun after Sunday night. We both felt good enough by the end of the day to have a can of tuna in the cockpit for dinner. Feeling better, looking up. All is not piss and moan on the good ship Gallivant after all. Then it happened. A good sized wave decided it would curl and break right at our side, actually right where we were sitting. there was no excape even though we tried in vain. The only way out was to go overboard and well....... that was an even wetter choice. The cockpit had a good 8" of water in it sloshing around untill it excaped out the drains. Did I mention that I had just put on some leather slippers with fuzzy stuff on the insides? Well they were doing thier best to impersonate barn boots in the winter if you know what I mean. OH OH did I mention that Justin has been sleeping in the quarter bunk and that bunk has a port hole that opens to the cockpit for fresh air........and that it was OPEN!? Well, it was a laugh or cry kind of moment. Then not 90 seconds later.......it did it again. No timme to curse the ocean and tell her what she can do with herself. I dove below, slammed the porthole shut and secured it. Drug out the now soaked sleeping bag and drapped it out in hopes that the saltwater will at least dry....some. (insert various curses, oaths and general bad words you think appropriate) There is ALWAYS a silver lining how ever so thin to our eyes at times. We are sound. We are not taking on water. We know that People are praying for us and that God is God. He remains the same today as yesterday in our high time and our lows. We have each other, food and water. The miles however slow they seem to tick down......are ticking down, closer and closer to a big fat juicy cheeseburger with a chocolate milkshake. NO, a little wave action will not bring me down......not even. In a few shot day Gallivant will come into Honolulu, sails full, with captain and crew fists pumping the air in the victory of accomplishment.
And then we'll find a laundromat!

------------------------------------



Eating little not keeping you trim and fit while at sea? try Captain John's revolutionary exercises at sea program developed and tested and proven to engage your core, work EVERY strand of muscle fiber in your legs, and everywhere else, enhance your balance, (until back on land) clear your mind..........and focus on that big juice cheeseburger that awaits in Honolulu.
Stand in the cockpit of a small sailboat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in your underwear. Legs spread just outside your shoulders. Assume some kind of tie chee BS move that you saw some dude at the waterfront park do a few weeks back. Now do your utmost not to touch anything with your hands for 30 minutes. Crying out some kind of ninja attack yell empowers and releases the tensions of the moment (or of the day,,,,,week,,,,,,year??) and will leave you stronger, enlightened, or just light headed. Maybe all of the above.
Comments
Vessel Name: Gallivant
Vessel Make/Model: Alajuela 33
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: John & Jenni Bourdon
About: Crew list for the Hawaii crossing: John (the Captain) Bourdon -- Bob (Dad) Bourdon -- Justin (son) Bourdon -- Case (aka: little brother) Webb (and Jenni will join the crew from Maui to Oahu)

Who: John & Jenni Bourdon
Port: Olympia, WA