'Bout Time

24 January 2019 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
23 February 2018
08 January 2018 | C Quarters Marina, Carrabelle, Florida
06 December 2017 | Panama City
20 November 2017 | Off 'Bout Time in Bay Springs, MS
22 March 2016
10 March 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
10 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
08 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
04 November 2014 | Doris/calm
01 November 2014 | Smack Bayou
27 October 2014 | Sundowner Marina, Mobile, Alabama
15 October 2014 | Kingfisher Bay Marina, Demopolis, AL
14 April 2013
19 March 2013

"At Last!"

15 October 2014 | Kingfisher Bay Marina, Demopolis, AL
Doris Ross/sunny & cool
Blog #1 Written Wednesday, October 15, 2014

At Last!!!
Saturday, October 4, 2014
After seemingly endless planning and preparation, we toasted our departure with our friends Ed and Cindy and our daughter-in-law Jenny and grandson Bradfield and eased away from our home marina on Kentucky Lake.  Others of our family had been with us Friday night for our good-byes until Christmas, all of us trying to pretend that's not as long as it sounds. 

(Just a bit of back story here for those who may be new to our blog or our story. We acquired our boat, 'Bout Time, in October 2010 in League City, TX. We spent three weeks bringing her home, and during those weeks aboard, we knew we had made one of the best decisions of our lives. That was, to pursue more time cruising and living aboard.   Fast forward two years through closing a business, retiring, caring for aging parents, and outfitting a boat previously used for Saturday sailing for long distance cruising.  Finally on October 14, 2012, we began the first of what we hoped would be many voyages aboard 'Bout Time. Before returning home in May 2013, we had gone as far as the Bahamas, and we returned in late spring 2013 with the goal of a second voyage that fall.  We left the boat and returned home to visit family only twice during our seven months away, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Our lengthy absence was made possible only with the help of family, especially my brother, who shouldered the major responsibility for the care of our parents during that time. Upon returning, we immediately knew that leaving again any time soon would not be possible because of their needs. The next six months were devoted to spending time with Mother and Daddy. In November of that year, after almost 72 years together, they peacefully left this earthly life less than three weeks apart at the ages 91 and 92. Mother was never fond of the idea of us on the water, and this time I can leave knowing that she no longer worries about her daughter.)

A special treat for us on the first leg of this trip was having our eleven-year-old grandson, Bradfield, accompany us the river. His curiosity about the boat, his willingness to help with tasks, and his general good nature all contributed to four great days for all of us.  Wish we could have had longer, but it's always good to leave wanting more. 

On our voyage in 2012-13, we developed the habit of referring to our days as "eventful" or "uneventful."  Uneventful simply meant that things had gone well and that crew and boat were in good shape.  Eventful, on the other hand, became an euphemism for anything from running aground, to unexpected bad weather, to medical emergencies, or mechanical delays. I'm pleased to report that the first five days on the river can be characterized as uneventful, and even quite delightful. 

Then came the night of October 8. 
(written October 9)
What a night!!! First let me say that after this experience, I will find it really hard ever to say a disparaging word about the TVA ( Tennessee Valley Authority). 
After five relatively calm and predictable days on the river,we approached our first lock at Pickwick Dam.  Per standard procedure, I radioed the lock operator to request a lock through. He informed us that he had several commercial vessels ahead of us, and we should expect a wait of at least three hours. When at all possible, we avoid traveling on the river at night, so since it was about 5:00 P. M., we decided to anchor out and wait until the next morning to lock through.  We checked out possibilities for anchoring and located a creek just off the river, and the depth, 8 ft., proved perfect, so we eased her in and put down the anchor.  
While scouting for an anchorage, we had noticed what appeared to be a restaurant on the east bank of the river.  Johnny had mentioned that he wished we could find some good catfish, so we decided to try it.  A short dinghy ride later we arrived at the "Historic Botel,"...quite the establishment. Not only was fried catfish on the menu, it was also wings night and "two for one" draft beer.   We were batting a thousand!  We enjoyed a great meal and headed back across the moonlit river. 
It wasn't very late, but we don't keep late hours aboard 'Bout Time, so we had soon settled down for the night.

"Was that the wind?" Johnny asked sleepily when a noise woke both of us from a sound sleep.
"I think it was just that aluminum pie plate that fell," I replied. 
"No, it was more than that," he said as he hurriedly climbed out do our berth.  He had no sooner gotten upright and stepped to the companionway than he said in s shocked voice, "We're aground!"  
By then I was up and could feel that the boat was listing badly.  As I joined him in the cockpit, we both realized that the boat was continuing its slow tilt to port.  
Obviously TVA had lowered the river level after we went to bed, and best we could tell, we had about five feet less depth. I quickly radioed the lock operator to get information and tell him our situation. He confirmed that our observations were correct and suggested that we call Boat US for a tow.  He obviously didn't realize that being towed out of 2.5 ft. of water when we need 5 ft. to float wasn't happening. When we told him that we were not tow-able, he said, "Well, they'll be generating power again about 5:00 A. M., and that will raise the water level again. Just try to sit tight until then and let us know if you have any more problems."  Any more problems???  By now we had settled at about a 35-40 degree tilt and appeared stable.  Johnny talked about trying to get some more sleep, but no way was I leaving that cockpit. Bear in mind that is was about 1:30, and we had been told there was nothing to do except wait for over three hours. I decided to try and remain calm, and just prayed that we and the boat would be safe. I knew we were not in danger because we could always leave the boat, but it was, nonetheless, an unnerving feeling. 

Then in just a few minutes I heard, "Sailboat 'Bout Time, this is Pickwick Lock.  Are you there?"  
I quickly scrambled for the radio and replied, "Pickwick Lock, this is 'Bout Time."
"Just wanted you to know that I called Knoxville and told them your situation, and they are going to send some water your way shortly."
What?  TVA was going to alter their power generating schedule to help out a little old sailboat that had been foolish enough not to consider this possibility before choosing a anchorage?  Undangbelievable!
"Thank you so much sir!" was all I could think to say. 
And sure enough, within less than thirty minutes the water began to rise and we began to regain a more normal position. While not completely level, and certainly not floating, we were able to get some rest and wait for another period of generating.  

As I record this, we're still waiting for a little more water so that we can head out and make our way through the lock and continue our journey. Hopefully tonight will be a little, make that a lot, less eventful. 

**By the time I had wifi and an opportunity to post this, we were safely well on our way down the river.
Comments
Vessel Name: 'Bout Time
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Hailing Port: Aurora, KY
Crew: Johnny & Doris Ross
About: Johnny and Doris Ross are native Mississippians who have lived in several southern states and are embarking on the cruising life from their current home on Kentucky Lake.
Extra: After years of chartering and lake sailing, we're now ready to try living aboard for much longer periods. We'll start with 6 months and see where we go from there.

Capt. John & crew

Who: Johnny & Doris Ross
Port: Aurora, KY