'Bout Time

24 January 2019 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
23 February 2018
08 January 2018 | C Quarters Marina, Carrabelle, Florida
06 December 2017 | Panama City
20 November 2017 | Off 'Bout Time in Bay Springs, MS
22 March 2016
10 March 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
10 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
08 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
04 November 2014 | Doris/calm
01 November 2014 | Smack Bayou
27 October 2014 | Sundowner Marina, Mobile, Alabama
15 October 2014 | Kingfisher Bay Marina, Demopolis, AL
14 April 2013
19 March 2013

We Wish You a Merry Christmas

06 December 2017 | Panama City
After over a week off of 'Bout Time, we were ready to be back aboard. We had enjoyed our time with family and friends in Mississippi for Thanksgiving, but it was time to head east. When we leave Mobile, Alabama at the end of the river portion of our journey, we always debate the option of heading straight from near there to the west coast of Florida versus taking the Gulf Intercoastal Waterway over to Apalachicola and jumping off from there. Two factors weigh into our decision; first, of course, is weather - always the main determining factor - and then, our reluctance to miss stopping over for a few days in Apalachicola, our favorite Gulf Coast town. When we left Sundowner Marina on Dog River on November 29, wind was not favorable, so we headed east motoring on the GIWW, keeping open the options of crossing either from Pensacola or going on to Apalachicola.
Something we enjoy when cruising is managing to visit with friends along the way. This isn't easy because our schedule is often unpredictable, but when it can happen, it's always a treat. This time we were able to get in touch with one of Johnny's high school classmates who has a condo at Orange Beach and arrange a visit. We were staying at Bear Point Marina, and Jan came there to join us for cockpit cocktails and a tour of our home away from home. Then she took us to one of her favorite local restaurants where we spent the next couple of hours catching up on the years since her visit to our home in Kentucky many years ago. Any classmates reading this can be assured you were included in our topics of conversation :-)
Motoring on the GIWW is not what one would call exciting, but we see some beautiful scenery along the way, find lots of good anchorages, and as always, enjoy beautiful sunrises and sunsets. About the only variable affecting our travel is the frequent occurrence of heavy morning fog that can keep us on anchor an hour or more beyond our usual departure time. That happened two of our four mornings this trip.
The last day of our approach to Apalachicola was quite long, and we knew we'd be arriving after dark. For safety reasons, we do our best to avoid entering a port after dark. What our charts show and what occurs in reality can be markedly different, and suddenly approaching an unlighted buoy that has moved in the last big blow creates a most unwelcome encounter. However, having been to this harbor several times, we felt safe with an after dark approach. With the help of a strong light, I was able to stand on the bow and locate the needed markers, which were all as indicated on the chart. We had reserved a slip at a nearby marina and soon were safely docked. The only concern was the depth at the dock and changing tides. After realizing that we would be on bottom at low tide, we moved to a floating dock and once again secured the lines.
One of the best things about returning to favorite places is knowing where the good food can be found, and in Apalachicola that means oysters. We walked over to one of our favorites, the Owl Tap Room, and enjoyed some on the half shell, along with a delicious appetizer of crusted goat cheese with an artichoke topping. And as if that weren't good enough, we topped it of by sharing a pecan tartlet topped with ice cream and fudge!
Sunday brought a perfect mixture of activity and relaxation. We got up early in order to walk to Trinity Episcopal Church for the 8:00 A. M. service, Rite 1, just like home. The 175 year old building is a treasure, and the activities of the parish indicate much community involvement. After the service, we walked for almost two hours admiring the lovely homes in the historic residential district. I selected a few small cottages that I told the Captain would do nicely when we finally give up our wandering ways! All,of that walking worked up an appetite, and we headed back to the waterfront where we shared a first for us - an oyster and Gouda omelet. With sliced fresh tomatoes and grits loaded with butter, we were more than satisfied.
We returned to the boat to change into cooler clothes and get our computers so that we could catch up on a few necessary tasks. A few shops were open, and we browsed a bit, finding a few stocking stuffers to aid in our lagging Christmas shopping. And Johnny managed to find a fellow frying freshly caught mullet out on the sidewalk. And, he turned out to be from Lake Barkley, just a few miles from our home. He and his wife had headed south on their boat a few years ago, and when the got to Apalachicola, they never left. It's just that kind of place.
We began checking a variety of weather sources, hoping to keep with our plan to go over to nearby Dog Island Monday afternoon and leave from there early Tuesday for an overnight passage to Clearwater Beach. From there we would move on to the Tampa Bay area where we would leave the boat in a marina and rent a car for the drive home to enjoy the holidays. BUT, once again, weather dictated differently. Without too many boring details, I'll try to summarize. Winds were forecast to be out of the south and southeast at 10-15. The direction was opposite of what we needed for sailing, and motoring into wind and waves for 36+ hours is never fun. That was to be followed by a front predicted to bring even less desirable conditions. So, though disappointed, our better judgement told us to revise our plans if we were going to get home in time to enjoy our visit with children and grandchildren. Because no rental cars are available in Apalachicola, we knew we would have to return to Panama City. The silver lining turned up when after learning of our change in plans, Nicole, our daughter, called to tell us that her husband would be traveling to the panhandle on business Monday and Tuesday and could pick us up Wednesday. From their home near Nashville, we would prevail Josh or Jenny to retrieve us.
We filled up with fuel and backtracked. We knew of a small community dock about 20 miles west, and timing would be right to spend the night there. Panama City would be an easy ride from there.
We arrived at our chosen marina in the early afternoon with plenty of time to give the boat on good cleaning. It's always good to return to a clean, orderly home. With that chore completed, we enjoyed hot showers, courtesy of shore power, and a hearty dinner. Our usual rounds of Dominoes followed, and in fairness, I have to report that Captain prevailed 3 to 2.
I hope that all of you are blessed with time to be with family and friends during this special time of the year. May you seek peace in the midst of the many activities and find time to reflect on the good things in your life and perhaps find ways to share that goodness with others. Merry Christmas, and may "God bless us every one!"
Comments
Vessel Name: 'Bout Time
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Hailing Port: Aurora, KY
Crew: Johnny & Doris Ross
About: Johnny and Doris Ross are native Mississippians who have lived in several southern states and are embarking on the cruising life from their current home on Kentucky Lake.
Extra: After years of chartering and lake sailing, we're now ready to try living aboard for much longer periods. We'll start with 6 months and see where we go from there.

Capt. John & crew

Who: Johnny & Doris Ross
Port: Aurora, KY