'Bout Time

24 January 2019 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
23 February 2018
08 January 2018 | C Quarters Marina, Carrabelle, Florida
06 December 2017 | Panama City
20 November 2017 | Off 'Bout Time in Bay Springs, MS
22 March 2016
10 March 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
10 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
08 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
04 November 2014 | Doris/calm
01 November 2014 | Smack Bayou
27 October 2014 | Sundowner Marina, Mobile, Alabama
15 October 2014 | Kingfisher Bay Marina, Demopolis, AL
14 April 2013
19 March 2013

Christmas is Coming!

26 December 2012
Tomorrow we head home to Kentucky to spend about three weeks with family and friends there and in Mississippi. Cleaning and packing are on the To Do List today (just like any other trip), as well as a few items we’ve been waiting until we were in a marina to address.
We chose to leave the boat at a marina on Tampa Bay, and our choice turned out well. We’ve already met our neighbors who are live aboards and will be keeping an eye on ‘Bout Time while we’re away.
Our decision to cross to Cedar Keys and cruise down the coast from there turned out to be the right choice. We thoroughly enjoyed out time at the town of Cedar Key, even though fog delayed our departure for two days. We just took advantage of that time to learn more about the area and met some really cool folks. If you are ever in the area, look up Pat and Cindy at Low-Key Hideaway. I can guarantee you a delightful visit. And, of course, our geeky side came out as we visited a local historical society museum as well as a state park. Renting bikes allowed us to get around the island easily and was much kinder to my knee than walking.
From Cedar Key we continued south with Louise with our next stop at Crystal River. Katie insisted that her trip would not be complete if she didn’t get to swim with the manatees. She and Katie did, as well as Johnny, but I stayed in the dinghy and managed to drift into a sanctuary section. A local resident immediately popped out of his house wielding his camera and taking photos of the registration number on the dinghy. I tried to tell him that I was getting out of there as quickly as my limited rowing skill would take me, but that didn’t faze him.
So, I guess he may turn me in or something. Who knows? I was only a few feet inside the markers for the sanctuary area, and truly hadn’t realized where I was. But I know, “Ignorance is no excuse!”
We faced another delay leaving Crystal River. We were told at the fuel dock that we should be able to make it out to the main channel, even at low tide. Wrong! This time “local knowledge” that all of the cruising guides tout proved quite fallible. We spent about an hour waiting for the tide to turn before we could head out to deeper water and continue south to Tarpon Springs.
We are learning to interpret the NOAA weather forecasts and to usually expect more wind and waves than predicted. We knew scattered showers were in the forecast, and for the entire day we traveled under heavy, foreboding clouds. In the distance we could often see rain, but we had little of any note. What did happen was that the predicted winds of 10-15 suddenly increased to 15-20 and then to 20-30. Thank goodness the wind was from behind, and even though we rolled steadily, we weren’t getting pounded.
Louise was a couple of hours ahead of us and had less time in those seas. Thank goodness. Remember, these girls are in a 27’ Cal with tiller steering and no cockpit protection. They are some kind of tough. We all decided to anchor slightly up the Anclote River rather than at Anclote Key, and they reached the anchorage before dark. They kept texting us to find out where we were as we motored in after dark. We’ve gotten so used to watching out for each other that we don’t like it when we’re not in sight. The chart plotter was dead on with the channel, and we arrived safely.
Thursday we spent the day at Tarpon Springs as the girls headed farther south. They have family meeting them at Ft. Myers Beach for a visit, so they are trying to make it there as quickly as possible. Tarpon Springs waterfront houses many of what I think of as Old Florida tourist shops. Not much of interest, but fun to just walk around. We did have a great Greek meal and learned a little about the history of the Greek community there as it relates to what was a thriving sponge industry.
An easy day down the GIWW took us to Maximo Point anchorage, and the following say we enjoyed sailing on Tampa Bay as we headed toward the marina.

One of the things that has truly astounded us on this latter part of the trip is the number of truly palatial homes on the water. I’m not talking about big; these are beyond huge. I don’t begrudge anyone their success or lifestyle, after all, we’re living our dream, but seeing those huge mansions, many of which sit unused much of the time, I can’t help but wonder how much is enough. Again, I realize that what we have seems opulent to those who have much less. It truly is relative, and what it really made me think about is how accountable I am for using what I have been blessed with wisely and from a heart of gratitude.

This will be my last blog until we return after the holidays. I wish for each of you a joyous holiday season filled with memory-making time spent with those who are dear to you. May we each remember to reach out to someone and share our blessings.
Merry Christmas
Comments
Vessel Name: 'Bout Time
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Hailing Port: Aurora, KY
Crew: Johnny & Doris Ross
About: Johnny and Doris Ross are native Mississippians who have lived in several southern states and are embarking on the cruising life from their current home on Kentucky Lake.
Extra: After years of chartering and lake sailing, we're now ready to try living aboard for much longer periods. We'll start with 6 months and see where we go from there.

Capt. John & crew

Who: Johnny & Doris Ross
Port: Aurora, KY