'Bout Time

24 January 2019 | Great Harbor Cay Marina
23 February 2018
08 January 2018 | C Quarters Marina, Carrabelle, Florida
06 December 2017 | Panama City
20 November 2017 | Off 'Bout Time in Bay Springs, MS
22 March 2016
10 March 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
25 February 2016
10 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
08 December 2014 | Bimini Bluewater Marina
04 November 2014 | Doris/calm
01 November 2014 | Smack Bayou
27 October 2014 | Sundowner Marina, Mobile, Alabama
15 October 2014 | Kingfisher Bay Marina, Demopolis, AL
14 April 2013
19 March 2013

While I Can!

19 March 2013
This is the first time I have created a blog without plenty of time to check and edit it, so be prepared for a rough draft as it were. I have such limited internet access that I feel like I need to take advantage of it when it's available. RIght now I'm sitting on the porch of a lumber company picking up a signal from the service station across the street. It's supposed to be stong enough to pick up on our boat in the harbor, but we didn't find that to be true, so here I sit. What should I expect for $10 bucks a day?
We are on the island of Eleuthra in the eastern Bahamas. Contrary to the forecast, crossing yesterday was 30+ miles of 20-25 kt. winds and 4-6 ft. seas. The good news is that we averaged 7kts. sailing, and the even better news is that I did not get seasick in the rolling seas. Maybe I'll make a sailor after all!
We've made stops at Black Point, Staniel Cay, Cambrige Cay, and a return to Warderick Well since my last entry. By far out favorite place was the little settlement of Black Point on Great Guana Island. Very small, and very friendly. The community welcomes cruisers but hasn't lost it's wonderful Bahamian character. We could have stayed for a very long time and have already made plans to return on our next trip.
Cambridge Cay is a part of the Exuma Land and Sea Park and very quite. After securing our mooring, we spent about 2 hours walking the beach and just enjoying each other's company. Also found lots of sea glass to add to my growing collection.
On a very somber note, we were reminded yesterday that we need to always be very careful while enjoying the islands. When we arrived at Warderick Wells on Sunday, we learned from friends that a lady had sustained serious injuries from a fall on one of the trails. She had been taken from the island by helicopter, but no one knew any further details. When we arrived here yesterday, we learned from another cruiser who was an acquaintance of the lady that she had indeed died from the injuries. Medical facilities are minimal at best on most of the islands, and treatment for serious illness or injury is often hours away. The residents here accept that as quite normal, but for those of us used to ready access to medical care, it makes us a bit uncomfortable at time. Just one of the risks involved, and it's our job to minimize the danger in every way we can.
Forgive any mistakes. It's getting dark and we have to get back to the boat, so no time to proofread.
Comments
Vessel Name: 'Bout Time
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau Oceanis 351
Hailing Port: Aurora, KY
Crew: Johnny & Doris Ross
About: Johnny and Doris Ross are native Mississippians who have lived in several southern states and are embarking on the cruising life from their current home on Kentucky Lake.
Extra: After years of chartering and lake sailing, we're now ready to try living aboard for much longer periods. We'll start with 6 months and see where we go from there.

Capt. John & crew

Who: Johnny & Doris Ross
Port: Aurora, KY