Bravo

Bravo takes a winter vacation, from Maine to the Caribbean.

30 April 2018
19 April 2018
30 March 2018
02 March 2018
14 February 2018
06 February 2018
25 January 2018
12 January 2018
15 December 2017
08 December 2017
24 November 2017 | Antigua
01 September 2017 | Camden, Maine
21 May 2016

Back and forth

03 February 2016
Now it's Tuesday, February 2, the 43rd anniversary of our first date. We're back in Leinster Bay, St. John, and snorkeled around Waterlemon Cay yesterday afternoon. I get a kick out of that name--looks like I transposed watermelon. We saw a turtle chewing down on some coral growth--something lettuce-like. It ate for a very long time without surfacing while lots of fish gathered around, eating the detritus that floated off. We swam away while it was still gorging.

While we were at Leverick Bay doing the laundry we encountered Ben Emory and his wife, whose name I didn't get (Thor's parents) from Maine, and met Mel Shaw, whose husband, Rob, we had just met when we dinghied over to greet the other J-46 (Jazolo) in the anchorage. We all had a great conversation about our various adventures, and that helped pass the time. The next day, while sitting at Leverick trying to grab the scant wifi signal, we met Ian and Chris Wilson, who have a Bavaria Vision 46, Kibo. They're heading down island, going first to Anguilla. After watching my video of boats pitching in the surf at the anchorage in Marigot Bay, St. Martin, they decided to forego a stop there. Wise.

The wind had really piped up, so we went back to the windward end of North Sound and picked up another mooring at BEYC. This time we got the closest one to the reception building, and although we often have trouble getting wifi while sitting in the lobby there, somehow we were able to capture a strong BEYC Lobby signal on the mooring. Heaven! Jazolo and Kibo have both moved to BEYC moorings as well. We had Mel and Rob Shaw for cocktails, and they were interested to see how our boat differed from theirs in big and little ways. They don't have a freezer, which is something they hope to remedy.

Having wifi on the boat makes us sluggish, and we stay put for several days. Having read the NYTimes article about how knitting is good for your health (akin to meditation), I've hauled my knitting bag from its hiding place and started knitting for the first time since last fall! In the past week or so I've done as much as I'd done in the last year (my prayer shawl knitting group knows this isn't saying much, but it does show good intentions!). I put on my iPod headphones, listen to a book, and knit away. Bliss. I just finished Jodi Picoult's Leaving Time, which I loved. It takes place in an elephant refuge in Botswana and an elephant rescue facility in New Hampshire, and I learned so much about elephant behavior--fascinating. I thought for sure she must've consulted the late Jim Laurita at Hope Elephants in Hope, Maine, since she's a Maine author, but he wasn't mentioned in her acknowledgements. Now I'm listening to Stephen King's Mr. Mercedes, and it's hard to put down. I'll have this prayer shawl finished in no time!

Once again the sailing cruise ship Wind Surf was anchored in North Sound and had people ashore at the Sand Bar, and once again it blasted the horn, raised anchor, and set sail. And once again, the people ashore did not hurry back, and once again the ship turned around and reset their anchor. See my blog of January 21 if you don't know what I'm talking about. We're wondering if this is standard operating procedure for them, to make people think they're going to be left behind, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on their shore-side passengers. No one comes running down the dock eager to reboard the ship. We're stumped and intrigued.

We dinghied out of North Sound, through the skinny channel between Saba Rock and BEYC, to take a look at Deep Bay, which friend Randy Woods had suggested as a possible anchorage for us. Lovely bay, with Biras Creek Resort's groomed beach at the head (although Biras has gone out of business for the time being, so the beach facilities will go downhill fast). The bay had the potential for being rolly, however, since it was a lee shore with just a reef protecting it, so we decided not to move there. It was a nice jaunt in the dinghy, though!

Finally, on Jan. 30, we weaned ourselves from BEYC's wifi and moved back to Leverick, planning to refill the water tanks in the morning. We went ashore and found no wifi signal at all, so went back to Bravo. Tom miraculously found an open weak wifi signal from an unknown source that our wifi amplifier was able to grab, and once again we had wifi on board. Tom has been carrying around some Barnes & Noble gift cards daughter Mary gave him (years ago, probably!), and there was enough signal for me to go online, figure out how to access his account, and help him choose some Nook books he can read on his iPad. Big accomplishment!

We've made an appointment at Nanny Cay Marina to be hauled and get the bottom painted (first scrubbing off the barnacles that are growing on the hull!) on February 10. First we have to exit the BVIs for a few days, in order not to exceed our time limit here. Our plan is to check out at Soper's Hole on Feb. 1, spend some time on St. John, then go to St. Thomas to do some major provisioning at Cost U Less, the Sam's Club-type store. So, moving closer to Soper's, on the 31st we had a wonderful sail down the Drake Channel, around West End, and over to Little Harbor on Jost Van Dyke. We picked up a mooring way up in the harbor, hoping to have a good view of the show put on by the brown boobies and pelicans dive bombing...but they weren't there this time two lethargic pelicans were sitting in their usual tree, but they refused to put on a show for us. In fact, it was an incredibly quiet night all around. No rowdy crowds at Sidney's Peace and Love or at Harris's, and no rowdy charter boats around us. No wild winds flipping our dinghy over. The most peaceful night we've ever spent there.

Monday morning we motored the short distance over to Soper's Hole, and had to circle a couple time before a mooring opened up. We picked one up next to Jazolo, the other J-46, and went ashore for wifi (I had to activate the float plan I'd created for checking into the US) and some provisioning at the great Harbour Market (the only 2-story grocery store I can recall). Then Tom went to check out at Customs & Immigration, and came back reporting it only cost $1.00 this time! Mel and Rob Shaw came over to invite us for cocktails, but we said we were leaving for Leinster Bay, having already cleared out. We'll see them again somewhere, I expect.

We motored slowly over to St. John so I'd have time to call Customs and clear in. It took all of eight minutes...longer than usual because the computer system was being balky, but such a time-saving method not having to go all the way to the end of the island to check in in person!

Salacia, another Salty Dawg boat, is already here at Leinster, so we greeted them as we came in. When we saw them in Hampton, VA, Tom recognized it as a boat our friend Don Finkle at RCR Yachts in Youngstown, NY, had sold. We took a picture of them sailing out of Hampton, and Tom emailed it to Don. We saw the crew at Nanny Cay, after the passage, and learned that one of the crew members had broken his leg on the trip but continued on to the end before flying back to Toronto to have it fixed. After we'd picked up our mooring here, Salacia's owner, Brian Rutter, and his wife and daughter came over to say hello. The crew member with the broken leg is doing okay, and apparently another crew member learned that he'd broken some ribs on the passage. It was rough out there!

I came out to the cockpit this morning to find Tom scratching bug bites. It was so still that we'd been inundated with no-see-ums, so I brought out the bug dope and Benedryl cream. Once the wind picked up a bit conditions improved. We'll spend one more night here before heading to St. Thomas.
Comments
Vessel Name: Bravo
Vessel Make/Model: J/46
Hailing Port: Camden, Maine USA
Crew: Tom and Jane Babbitt
Bravo's Photos - Main
9 Photos
Created 9 May 2018
67 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Heading north...
13 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 March 2018
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Our many experiences approaching, in, and leaving Martinique.
45 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
The town of Portsmouth, the primary school where we worked, the anchorage, our trip up the Indian River
57 Photos
Created 6 February 2018
Some of Antigua, visiting libraries started by Hands Across the Sea, and some of Deshaies, Guadeloupe.
24 Photos
Created 19 January 2018
Sailing program in Falmouth, some Antigua scenery, Shawn and Mario measuring for the wind generator, a tiny gecko, Tom filling the water tanks, and a J-122 getting a color-transition wrap.
19 Photos
Created 15 December 2017
Views of Hermitage Bay hotel and the anchorage, and the Antigua Charter Yacht Show, day and night.
11 Photos
Created 8 December 2017
19 Photos
Created 1 December 2017
Bravo leaves Camden, arrives at Jolly Harbour, and we have a happy reunion!
22 Photos
Created 24 November 2017
Final days in the Virgins, then home.
9 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Exploring more of St. John, back to the BVI for engine work.
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2016
USVI, BVI, and back. Camouflaged goats, cruise ships, Aragorn's Studio, and yet another J/46.
26 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
We spent a week in Culebra, PR, and then returned to St. Thomas.
19 Photos
Created 12 April 2016
We return to the US Virgin Islands after our unexpected week and a half in New England.
8 Photos
Created 3 April 2016
The first half of the month is spent getting Tom well.
3 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
In which we attend the Salty Dawg party, make new friends, and socialize with them.
9 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
From Leinster Bay to Sapphire Bay, then back to Leinster, over to the BVIs, and a haul out at Nanny Cay. Then back to North Sound.
22 Photos
Created 17 February 2016
Wherein I rediscover the joy of expressing my creative side.
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
From St. Barth back to North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
14 Photos
Created 21 January 2016
From the Virgins to St. Kitts, and back to St. Barth.
59 Photos
Created 18 January 2016
Back to St. Thomas, visit to the hospital, trip to the laundromat. The video of the plane landing might not play--too bad! It's really cool!
8 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
To St. Thomas, Christmas, Laura & Mike's visit. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get these into chronological order. And adding captions is frustratingly hard.
36 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Tarpon at Saba Rock, Christmas lights, doing odd jobs
8 Photos
Created 17 December 2015
Harbors at St. John and Soper's Hole, then back to North Sound.
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
Pictures of our times at Peter Island, Cooper Island, Marina Cay, the dinghy oar retrieval at Jost Van Dyke, the RC 44 races, and then back to North Sound.
27 Photos
Created 5 December 2015
From the Salty Dawgs dinner at the Bitter End to Thanksgiving dinner in Boston.
5 Photos
Created 29 November 2015
More haircut pictures, Nanny Cay, Jost Van Dyke...
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
Our departure from Blue Water Yachting Center, some offshore pictures, and a few shots here in the BVI. The last two are today at Nanny Cay.
21 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
13 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
From Long Island Sound to Annapolis
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
From Camden to Newport
16 Photos
Created 25 September 2015