Bravo

Bravo takes a winter vacation, from Maine to the Caribbean.

30 April 2018
19 April 2018
30 March 2018
02 March 2018
14 February 2018
06 February 2018
25 January 2018
12 January 2018
15 December 2017
08 December 2017
24 November 2017 | Antigua
01 September 2017 | Camden, Maine
21 May 2016

March came in like a lion.

23 March 2016
March 3: I’m sitting in Tom’s hospital room in St. Thomas, waiting to see whether he’ll have a stent inserted today to alleviate kidney pain caused by a stone blocking his ureter. Or maybe the doctor will choose to send him home, since his pain hasn't come back today. Yesterday, between the visit to the doctor’s office and his finally being admitted to the hospital, he was in excruciating pain, and even oxycodone didn't help.

This episode started when we were in Leinster Bay, St. John, a couple days ago. The pain started around 5:30 am; when I got up an hour later Tom said he didn't feel well. When he began to feel worse we decided to get over to St. Thomas, and by 2:30 we arrived at our favorite (because Seaborne flights land right next to it) mooring in Frenchtown. I was on the helm as we motored from Leinster to Charlotte Amalie, and as I approached the mooring a seaplane was landing, heading right for me! I made a sharp 180° turn, but the plane had already hit the brakes and stopped short of us, so once my heart started beating again I continued to the mooring.

After only a two-hour wait at the hospital we saw a wonderful doctor, and a CT scan confirmed stones. She sent us home, with instructions to see Dr. Franklin, the urologist, the next morning. And now here we are, waiting for the next step.

March 8: I’m riding the Amtrak Downeaster train from Boston to Brunswick, Maine. Say what? Yes, we're not in St. Thomas anymore, Toto. The doctor didn't put the stent in on Thursday, and that alone is a long story that Tom doesn't think I need to write about (hint: if you need important medical care, go home). Tom went to surgery about 3:00 pm on Friday; the “7-minute stent procedure” was done; Tom woke up over two hours later, and remembers the doctor telling him that it was done, the stone was impacted so it's still there, and he’d be traveling the next week, so call the office for an appointment in two weeks; Tom was discharged. Three hours later we were back at the emergency room with a complication, and while we were told the doctor would meet us there, he never showed up. After a few hours of waiting, the terrific ER doctor, Clayton Wheatley, took care of Tom. Saturday Tom emailed and talked to Craig Hawkins, his urologist of many years, and we made reservations to fly to Boston on Sunday for surgery with Craig Tuesday afternoon. Tom was in such pain by the time we were in the taxi to Laura's house that we detoured to Mass General’s emergency room. By the time I finished signing him in, he was in a room with all the tubes and wires already hooked up and a team of doctors surrounding him. What a world of difference from what we’d endured in St. Thomas! Immediate care and relief.

The plan for Monday was that Tom would drive Laura and Mike's car to Brunswick, drop off the CT scan disk and paperwork at Craig’s office, then return to Boston, while I went to the AT&T store in Boston to get a US SIM card for our unlocked phone (our new number is 340-474-9918—feel free to call!). But Tom called Laura to let us know he’d been admitted to the hospital in Brunswick so they could do lab work and get him stabilized for Tuesday’s surgery. I had a great time with Laura for the rest of the day, and booked a seat on the Downeaster for Tuesday morning.

Now it's March 23, and we’ve been in a slip at Frenchtown Marina since our return from New England. It was a great place to leave the boat while we were away, and our extended trip qualified us for the monthly slip rate, so we’ve remained here for free, basically. Craig Hawkins did a great job getting Tom’s kidney stone—the one the St. Thomas doctor left in place!—and because we then needed to stay a week for recovery, we also got our teeth cleaned, Tom got a haircut, I got my hearing aids fixed and had an appointment with my orthopedist who gave me a cortisone shot in my hip (much relief!), and we had a great time with our neighbors and friends catching up on local news. From March 1 to 17, Tom had five ER visits, two hospital admissions for a total of six days, three doctors’ offices visits, two stents, four Foley catheters, and the worst pain imaginable. Since being back we met friends for dinner at Belle Blu, we’ve done major provisioning at Cost-U-Less and Pueblo, found a terrific drop-off laundry, done lots of boat jobs, watched the first eight episodes of the final season of Downton Abbey, and had an exquisite dinner at Oceana (a fine waterside restaurant at Villa Olga, which at one time was the Russian embassy). We expect to move over to St. John tomorrow, where we’ll be able to swim, snorkel, and face into the wind on these hot nights.

On May 11 or so, Tom and a crew of three men will take Bravo home to Camden, stopping in Bermuda if they need to, but otherwise doing one straight offshore passage. I’ll fly out, visiting daughter Mary and her family before going home. More on that later..
Comments
Vessel Name: Bravo
Vessel Make/Model: J/46
Hailing Port: Camden, Maine USA
Crew: Tom and Jane Babbitt
Bravo's Photos - Main
9 Photos
Created 9 May 2018
67 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Heading north...
13 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 March 2018
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Our many experiences approaching, in, and leaving Martinique.
45 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
The town of Portsmouth, the primary school where we worked, the anchorage, our trip up the Indian River
57 Photos
Created 6 February 2018
Some of Antigua, visiting libraries started by Hands Across the Sea, and some of Deshaies, Guadeloupe.
24 Photos
Created 19 January 2018
Sailing program in Falmouth, some Antigua scenery, Shawn and Mario measuring for the wind generator, a tiny gecko, Tom filling the water tanks, and a J-122 getting a color-transition wrap.
19 Photos
Created 15 December 2017
Views of Hermitage Bay hotel and the anchorage, and the Antigua Charter Yacht Show, day and night.
11 Photos
Created 8 December 2017
19 Photos
Created 1 December 2017
Bravo leaves Camden, arrives at Jolly Harbour, and we have a happy reunion!
22 Photos
Created 24 November 2017
Final days in the Virgins, then home.
9 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Exploring more of St. John, back to the BVI for engine work.
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2016
USVI, BVI, and back. Camouflaged goats, cruise ships, Aragorn's Studio, and yet another J/46.
26 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
We spent a week in Culebra, PR, and then returned to St. Thomas.
19 Photos
Created 12 April 2016
We return to the US Virgin Islands after our unexpected week and a half in New England.
8 Photos
Created 3 April 2016
The first half of the month is spent getting Tom well.
3 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
In which we attend the Salty Dawg party, make new friends, and socialize with them.
9 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
From Leinster Bay to Sapphire Bay, then back to Leinster, over to the BVIs, and a haul out at Nanny Cay. Then back to North Sound.
22 Photos
Created 17 February 2016
Wherein I rediscover the joy of expressing my creative side.
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
From St. Barth back to North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
14 Photos
Created 21 January 2016
From the Virgins to St. Kitts, and back to St. Barth.
59 Photos
Created 18 January 2016
Back to St. Thomas, visit to the hospital, trip to the laundromat. The video of the plane landing might not play--too bad! It's really cool!
8 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
To St. Thomas, Christmas, Laura & Mike's visit. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get these into chronological order. And adding captions is frustratingly hard.
36 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Tarpon at Saba Rock, Christmas lights, doing odd jobs
8 Photos
Created 17 December 2015
Harbors at St. John and Soper's Hole, then back to North Sound.
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
Pictures of our times at Peter Island, Cooper Island, Marina Cay, the dinghy oar retrieval at Jost Van Dyke, the RC 44 races, and then back to North Sound.
27 Photos
Created 5 December 2015
From the Salty Dawgs dinner at the Bitter End to Thanksgiving dinner in Boston.
5 Photos
Created 29 November 2015
More haircut pictures, Nanny Cay, Jost Van Dyke...
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
Our departure from Blue Water Yachting Center, some offshore pictures, and a few shots here in the BVI. The last two are today at Nanny Cay.
21 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
13 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
From Long Island Sound to Annapolis
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
From Camden to Newport
16 Photos
Created 25 September 2015