Bravo

Bravo takes a winter vacation, from Maine to the Caribbean.

30 April 2018
19 April 2018
30 March 2018
02 March 2018
14 February 2018
06 February 2018
25 January 2018
12 January 2018
15 December 2017
08 December 2017
24 November 2017 | Antigua
01 September 2017 | Camden, Maine
21 May 2016

Life on a boat

15 December 2017
We spent six nights in Falmouth Harbour, and are now (December 15) on a mooring in Jolly Harbour. Still in Antigua (BTW, it’s pronounced an-TEEG-a and bar-BYOO-da), and will be through early January. We’re arranging to have a wind generator installed on the transom, as we rely on the battery power to run the refrigeration system, and our solar panels aren’t as effective here as they are in Maine. That sounds backwards, but we’re in Maine in the summer, when the days are much longer and the water and air are much colder. Down here the refrigerator and freezer are working in 90° air and 85° water, and with only 11 hours of daylight to shine on the solar panels. In order to keep the temperatures down in the reefer and freezer we’re running the engine twice a day for about 45-60 minutes, and that’s annoying. Junior Malone’s brother Shawn is overseeing the project for us (as mentioned previously, Junior works at Wayfarer/Lyman Morse in Camden). So our time in Falmouth was largely spent planning, measuring, meeting, emailing suppliers, etc. Nights were restless because of intermittent rain—close the hatches, swelter; open the hatches and the rain would start again.

While in Falmouth we found Tom Kiley and Ry Hills on Snow Star, docked in English Harbour after a 25-day passage from The Canaries, and we also met some young people from Maine. Steve Swartz and Jenny Baxter stopped by to introduce themselves as fellow Camdenites. They’re captain and crew/chef on a Swan 77, having taken the positions recently and sailed/motored the boat down from Oxford, MD. They’ve got a major engine issue to address, as the boat burned 900 gallons of fuel coming down…so something isn’t working as it should! They worked schooners out of Camden the last few years—the Maddy and the Mercantile—and have bought a house on Thomas Street in Camden. We met another young couple from Brooksville, Maine, on the dinghy Dock. They’ve been cruising for about eight years, and have been trying to decide whether to go to Panama or the UK…so while they try to decide they’re hanging out in the Caribbean. They spent last summer in Grenada, which was unbearably hot and miserable. Duh!

Now it’s Friday morning and we’ve made a major change in our plans. After a discussion about the financial aspect of buying and installing a wind generator for just, perhaps, the next four months or so if we don’t return here next year (and life is so uncertain), we’ve decided not to. The installation was becoming a huge problem, as it would mean rearranging pretty much everything on the stern pulpit—the barbecue grill, two lifesaver devices—and installing a new post with supporting struts. We can’t mount it on the same post as the radar, which is what we’d envisioned, because of clearance needs of the blades. So we’ll pay Shawn for the time he’s spent on this, and continue to run the engine to keep the batteries up and the reefer temp down.

When Tom returns to the boat after getting a few groceries and a new gas container for the outboard (old one developed a leak), we’ll probably move to that nice anchorage at Five Islands. In one week we’ll fly to Boston to spend Christmas with Laura, Mike, and Charlotte (now 14 months old).

Comments
Vessel Name: Bravo
Vessel Make/Model: J/46
Hailing Port: Camden, Maine USA
Crew: Tom and Jane Babbitt
Bravo's Photos - Main
9 Photos
Created 9 May 2018
67 Photos
Created 30 April 2018
Heading north...
13 Photos
Created 10 April 2018
23 Photos
Created 30 March 2018
68 Photos
Created 8 March 2018
Our many experiences approaching, in, and leaving Martinique.
45 Photos
Created 2 March 2018
The town of Portsmouth, the primary school where we worked, the anchorage, our trip up the Indian River
57 Photos
Created 6 February 2018
Some of Antigua, visiting libraries started by Hands Across the Sea, and some of Deshaies, Guadeloupe.
24 Photos
Created 19 January 2018
Sailing program in Falmouth, some Antigua scenery, Shawn and Mario measuring for the wind generator, a tiny gecko, Tom filling the water tanks, and a J-122 getting a color-transition wrap.
19 Photos
Created 15 December 2017
Views of Hermitage Bay hotel and the anchorage, and the Antigua Charter Yacht Show, day and night.
11 Photos
Created 8 December 2017
19 Photos
Created 1 December 2017
Bravo leaves Camden, arrives at Jolly Harbour, and we have a happy reunion!
22 Photos
Created 24 November 2017
Final days in the Virgins, then home.
9 Photos
Created 21 May 2016
Exploring more of St. John, back to the BVI for engine work.
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2016
USVI, BVI, and back. Camouflaged goats, cruise ships, Aragorn's Studio, and yet another J/46.
26 Photos
Created 2 May 2016
We spent a week in Culebra, PR, and then returned to St. Thomas.
19 Photos
Created 12 April 2016
We return to the US Virgin Islands after our unexpected week and a half in New England.
8 Photos
Created 3 April 2016
The first half of the month is spent getting Tom well.
3 Photos
Created 23 March 2016
In which we attend the Salty Dawg party, make new friends, and socialize with them.
9 Photos
Created 26 February 2016
From Leinster Bay to Sapphire Bay, then back to Leinster, over to the BVIs, and a haul out at Nanny Cay. Then back to North Sound.
22 Photos
Created 17 February 2016
Wherein I rediscover the joy of expressing my creative side.
5 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
From St. Barth back to North Sound, Virgin Gorda.
14 Photos
Created 21 January 2016
From the Virgins to St. Kitts, and back to St. Barth.
59 Photos
Created 18 January 2016
Back to St. Thomas, visit to the hospital, trip to the laundromat. The video of the plane landing might not play--too bad! It's really cool!
8 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
To St. Thomas, Christmas, Laura & Mike's visit. As hard as I tried, I couldn't get these into chronological order. And adding captions is frustratingly hard.
36 Photos
Created 2 January 2016
Tarpon at Saba Rock, Christmas lights, doing odd jobs
8 Photos
Created 17 December 2015
Harbors at St. John and Soper's Hole, then back to North Sound.
11 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
Pictures of our times at Peter Island, Cooper Island, Marina Cay, the dinghy oar retrieval at Jost Van Dyke, the RC 44 races, and then back to North Sound.
27 Photos
Created 5 December 2015
From the Salty Dawgs dinner at the Bitter End to Thanksgiving dinner in Boston.
5 Photos
Created 29 November 2015
More haircut pictures, Nanny Cay, Jost Van Dyke...
8 Photos
Created 22 November 2015
Our departure from Blue Water Yachting Center, some offshore pictures, and a few shots here in the BVI. The last two are today at Nanny Cay.
21 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
13 Photos
Created 27 October 2015
From Long Island Sound to Annapolis
11 Photos
Created 15 October 2015
From Camden to Newport
16 Photos
Created 25 September 2015