Cruising the Coast

A Catalina 36 cruising the coast of Queensland, Australia

17 October 2014 | Fisherman's Wharf Marina
16 October 2014 | Burnett River, Bundaberg
15 October 2014
15 October 2014 | Pancake Creek
14 October 2014 | Pancake Creek
13 October 2014 | Pancake Creek
12 October 2014 | Graham Creek
11 October 2014 | Great Keppel Island
10 October 2014
08 October 2014
07 October 2014
07 October 2014 | Yeppoon Marina
06 October 2014 | Port Clinton
03 October 2014
02 October 2014
01 October 2014
30 September 2014 | Abel Point Marina
28 September 2014 | Woodwark Bay

We Are Sick of Bashing Into the Wind!

05 October 2014
Cloudy, some sun, 24 degrees
The water spout was an amazing sight. It did cause some anxiety but petered out before it reached us.

Well, the north easterly swell kept up all night and it was a rocky night on Breezly. We both slept quite well but there was a lot of noise coming from clinking bottles, shifting plates, ropes and lines stretching, the dinghy squeaking on the davit and the like. I was up by 6.00am and listened to the radio schedule on the VHF. More south easterlies of 10 to 15 knots were predicted. Louise had some breakfast in bed and by 7.00am we had weighed anchor and we were on our way.

Once out of the anchorage I wanted to motor east for an hour or so to get a better angle on the wind. Louise was keen to sail though and as the angle was ok we raised the sails, killed the engine and enjoyed a nice ride to Hexham Island.

Louise was helming the boat and as there were a few grey clouds scadding across the sky she called to me with some alarm in her voice. There was a water spout about 5 nautical miles of the port beam and it seemed to be heading for us. She started the engine and gave it some extra power and as we moved further south it seemed to be heading to the north of us. After a few minutes though it petered out. It was both frightening and spectacular.

We were going so well, and with the chart plotter saying we would arrive by midday we decided to press on to the next anchorage, which was on the mainland. So we set a course for Island Head Creek, but now the angle to the wind was very tight.

The 10 to 15 knot winds were now blowing 20 and more so we started the engine and motor sailed as far as we could. The line wasn't right but there was little we could do given the time constraints. It was very hard work beating into a strong wind and waves that were upwards of a metre in height. Many times Breezly slammed into the waves with spray flying off to each side. Occasionally water came up over the deck and one time flooded right up to the dodger. As we neared the mainland we were pushing against tide as well as the other elements and I dropped the sails and headed in a straight line for the anchorage. The the engine working quite hard we were struggling to do more than 4 knots.

As the sun sank below the horizon we approached the headland and in failing gloom found the entrance to the creek. With the aid of two chart plotters and a pilot guide book we made our way up the creek in the dark. By 7.00pm we dropped the anchor in 10 metres of water, killed the engine and were finally able to enjoy some quiet. It was a still anchorage, which was great. No rocking and rolling tonight!

After some dinner and a short DVD we both went to bed exhausted. Tomorrow will be a bit of rest day, though I hope to motor some 10 miles down the coast to Port Clinton. I stayed there on the way up and we might be able to pick up an internet signal there.
Comments
Vessel Name: Breezly
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 36 MkII
Hailing Port: Urangan, Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Crew: Robert Wright
Extra: Contact me at: windcruiser36@gmail.com
Breezly's Photos - Main
12 Photos
Created 1 July 2014
9 Photos
Created 26 June 2014
2 Photos
Created 21 June 2014
Photos taken on a solo cruise in June 2014 on Breezly.
15 Photos
Created 18 June 2014
Cruising the area around Urangan with Louise.
13 Photos
Created 22 August 2013
Photos of the Great Sandy Straits and Hervey Bay
13 Photos
Created 30 July 2013
Preparing the boat before heading north
3 Photos
Created 10 July 2013